[sci.bio] Incest avoidance

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.035304.11461@leland.Stanford.EDU> repnomar@leland.Stanford.EDU (Janet M. Lafler) writes:

>[Structuralist et. al. schools of anthropology theory]
>some still hold to socio-biological explanations, which I find, um, uncon-
>vincing.

Whoa, that went by a bit fast.  Slow down here.

"Still"?  Sociobiology, at 16 years old, as far newer than Structuralism
and most of the other schools you describe.  I would bet most anthropologists
have not read the works by any of Wilson, Dawkins, Symons, et. al.
even by 1991.

Also, you failed to describe the sociobiological explanation, which
is as follows:

The proximate cause of the incest "taboo" (more properly called
incest avoidance) is the behavioral development, upon sexual
maturity, of sexual avoidance between children who shared proximity
and a common caretaker between the ages of 2 and 5. This has been
confirmed by observations of various human societies, both where the
caretaker and/or children are related by genetics and/or adoption.

The ultimate cause is the harm caused by inbreeding, as has been
discussed.  Genes which produce the above behavioral development
tended to perpetuate themselves more often than their alleles
through human evolutionary history.  Note that evolution does not
require the behavior to be perfect, any more than evolution designed
bipedal creatures with a perfect back (ouch!).  It just has to benefit
the encoding genes more than its bad side-effects hurt them.

The theory is further confirmed from behavior of other primates,
which develop a similar incest "taboo" without the accompanying cultural
structures required by the Structuralist, Symbolic, Interpretive, and
other pure-culture schools.

If sociobiology theory is right, Heinlein is fighting not only
human cultural prejudice, but prejudice encoded in our genes.
No wonder so many people hate him.  :-)

Taboos involving cousins, et. al,, are more sophisticated, and
the various cultural schools have more relevence for these,
though it is not clear that biology is totally out of the picture.

(If anybody interested is not up on sociobiology theory, I'll be happy to
explain further proximate vs. ultimate causation).

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
"If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (04/05/91)

In article <21487@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
> In article <1991Apr2.035304.11461@leland.Stanford.EDU> repnomar@leland.Stanford.EDU (Janet M. Lafler) writes:
>
>>[Structuralist et. al. schools of anthropology theory]
>>some still hold to socio-biological explanations, which I find, um, uncon-
>>vincing.
>
> Whoa, that went by a bit fast.  Slow down here.
>
> "Still"?  Sociobiology, at 16 years old, as far newer than Structuralism
> and most of the other schools you describe.  I would bet most anthropologists
> have not read the works by any of Wilson, Dawkins, Symons, et. al.
> even by 1991.
>
> Also, you failed to describe the sociobiological explanation, which
> is as follows:
>
> The proximate cause of the incest "taboo" (more properly called
> incest avoidance) is the behavioral development, upon sexual
> maturity, of sexual avoidance between children who shared proximity
> and a common caretaker between the ages of 2 and 5. This has been
> confirmed by observations of various human societies, both where the
> caretaker and/or children are related by genetics and/or adoption.
>
> The ultimate cause is the harm caused by inbreeding, as has been
> discussed.  Genes which produce the above behavioral development
> tended to perpetuate themselves more often than their alleles
> through human evolutionary history.  Note that evolution does not
> require the behavior to be perfect, any more than evolution designed
> bipedal creatures with a perfect back (ouch!).  It just has to benefit
> the encoding genes more than its bad side-effects hurt them.
>
> The theory is further confirmed from behavior of other primates,
> which develop a similar incest "taboo" without the accompanying cultural
> structures required by the Structuralist, Symbolic, Interpretive, and
> other pure-culture schools.
>
> If sociobiology theory is right, Heinlein is fighting not only
> human cultural prejudice, but prejudice encoded in our genes.
> No wonder so many people hate him.  :-)
>
> Taboos involving cousins, et. al,, are more sophisticated, and
> the various cultural schools have more relevence for these,
> though it is not clear that biology is totally out of the picture.
>
> (If anybody interested is not up on sociobiology theory, I'll be happy to
> explain further proximate vs. ultimate causation).
>

> --
> Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
> "If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty
> The above opinions are my own and not related to those of any
> organization I may be affiliated with.

Seems to me that Goodall also observed this taboo in our relatives....

herbach@informix.com (Martin Herbach) (04/06/91)

Has any discussion appeared about the correlation of incest-avoidance
and beauty-perception?  I am referring here to the perception of sexual
attractiveness in humans.  I read recently of a study (sorry, no citation)
showing that a "beautiful" feature (e.g. nose) is one with "average"
characteristics.  Average in size, shape, position, etc., and average
with respect to the population of the beholder.

Could this be the incest-avoidance mechanism at work.  If quail are
known to prefer cousins over siblings or strangers, could they be
selecting "not-too-familiar but not-too-strange" with respect to
whatever characteristics code for quailness?

It would seem that a biological explanation of beauty should be a big
deal, but no one seems to have connected the two.  Anyone seen any
such rantings in print?  Does this make sense to anyone else?  Do
I need lithium?

repnomar@leland.Stanford.EDU (Janet M. Lafler) (04/06/91)

In article <21487@crg5.UUCP> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>In article <1991Apr2.035304.11461@leland.Stanford.EDU> repnomar@leland.Stanford.EDU (Janet M. Lafler) writes:
>
>>[Structuralist et. al. schools of anthropology theory]
>>some still hold to socio-biological explanations, which I find, um, uncon-
>>vincing.
>
>Whoa, that went by a bit fast.  Slow down here.
>
>"Still"?  Sociobiology, at 16 years old, as far newer than Structuralism
>and most of the other schools you describe.  I would bet most anthropologists
>have not read the works by any of Wilson, Dawkins, Symons, et. al.
>even by 1991.

You're right.  I should have phrased it differently.  But while the particular
theoretical position known as Sociobiology is relatively recent, the general
idea that some forms of social behavior can be explained biologically has been
around far longer.  The explanation you describe below, for instance, is
similar to the Westermarck hypothesis;  unfortunately, I can't find the ref-
erence for this, but Westermarck was pretty early in this century.  Please
note that I am not trying to present this as an argument against the theory!
I'm just pointing out that while Sociobiology as a school is relatively recent,
it has its history in older theories, as do Structuralism, etc.

>Also, you failed to describe the sociobiological explanation, which
>is as follows:
>
>The proximate cause of the incest "taboo" (more properly called
>incest avoidance) is the behavioral development, upon sexual
>maturity, of sexual avoidance between children who shared proximity
>and a common caretaker between the ages of 2 and 5. This has been
>confirmed by observations of various human societies, both where the
>caretaker and/or children are related by genetics and/or adoption.

Do you know about the traditional Chinese practice of young men marrying
an adopted sister (who was adopted specifically to be his wife?  I don't
know much about this practice - how young the girls are adopted and so forth.
Do you know of any recent research on this?  (This question is a request
for information, not a challenge.)

>The ultimate cause is the harm caused by inbreeding, as has been
>discussed.  Genes which produce the above behavioral development
>tended to perpetuate themselves more often than their alleles
>through human evolutionary history.  Note that evolution does not
>require the behavior to be perfect, any more than evolution designed
>bipedal creatures with a perfect back (ouch!).  It just has to benefit
>the encoding genes more than its bad side-effects hurt them.
>
>The theory is further confirmed from behavior of other primates,
>which develop a similar incest "taboo" without the accompanying cultural
>structures required by the Structuralist, Symbolic, Interpretive, and
>other pure-culture schools.

Do species of different genuses (or whatever the appropriate taxonomical
category is) have similar problems with inbreeding?  Has there been any
research on incest avoidance behavior among non-primates?  Do you know of
any results from this?  (Again, I'm curious.)

>If sociobiology theory is right, Heinlein is fighting not only
>human cultural prejudice, but prejudice encoded in our genes.
>No wonder so many people hate him.  :-)
>
>Taboos involving cousins, et. al,, are more sophisticated, and
>the various cultural schools have more relevence for these,
>though it is not clear that biology is totally out of the picture.

Where would you place parent/child incest in this picture?

One of my problems with sociobiological explanations for incest is that if
there's a biological avoidance mechanism in place, why do we have codified
taboos (e.g. as in the Bible)?  Would we need to codify something that was
instinctive?

BTW, I don't hate Heinlein.  I have problems with a lot of his views (inso-
far as they can be determined), especially regarding women.  But I've en-
joyed many of his books and find him interesting, if often infuriating.

Please note.  I'm not, repeat _not_, interested in getting involved in a
flame war.  I have tried to make it clear in this posting that I'm respect-
fully differing with you.  If I get flamed, that's the end of my partici-
pation in the discussion.

/Janet

--
send mail to:	repnomar@leland.stanford.edu
(In answer to your first question, Repnomar is a character in

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (04/09/91)

In article <21487@crg5.UUCP> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>Taboos involving cousins, et. al,, are more sophisticated, and
>the various cultural schools have more relevence for these,
>though it is not clear that biology is totally out of the picture.

I read somewhere of a study of "attraction" (sorry don't remember any
details), that showed a preference for cousins (I'm pretty sure it was
first cousins, but it may have been second cousins).  The evolutionary
force involved here is that cousins are likely to share genes, so the
behavior would benifit a gene pool, not an individual.  If I've got my
facts right, this would fit with the "incest avoidence".  That is,
since there is are definite (potential) problems with siblings, and a
selection pressure for relatives, there is even more reason for evolution
to select for some type of incest avoidence.

Gerry Gleason

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.102746.3111@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>> The proximate cause of the incest "taboo" (more properly called
>> incest avoidance) is the behavioral development, upon sexual
>> maturity, of sexual avoidance between children who shared proximity
>> and a common caretaker between the ages of 2 and 5.

>Seems to me that Goodall also observed this taboo in our relatives....

Also, the woman who was teaching two gorillas sign language (the female
was named Koko -- she has appeared in National Geographic a couple of
times) discovered this.  She was hoping to breed the gorillas and see
if they would teach sign language to their offspring.  But the gorillas
apparantly consider themselves siblings, and show no interest in mating
with each other.

Oops.
--
Mike Van Pelt               "I hate trolls.  Maybe I could metamorph it into
Headland Technology          something else -- like a ravenous, two-headed,

cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.213834.13967@informix.com> herbach@informix.com (Martin Herbach) writes:
>Has any discussion appeared about the correlation of incest-avoidance
>and beauty-perception?  I am referring here to the perception of sexual
>attractiveness in humans.  I read recently of a study (sorry, no citation)
>showing that a "beautiful" feature (e.g. nose) is one with "average"
>characteristics.  Average in size, shape, position, etc., and average
>with respect to the population of the beholder.
>
>Could this be the incest-avoidance mechanism at work.  If quail are
>known to prefer cousins over siblings or strangers, could they be
>selecting "not-too-familiar but not-too-strange" with respect to
>whatever characteristics code for quailness?
>
>It would seem that a biological explanation of beauty should be a big
>deal, but no one seems to have connected the two.  Anyone seen any
>such rantings in print?  Does this make sense to anyone else?  Do
>I need lithium?

Sexual selection is arguably the single most chal-
lenging topic in evolutionary biology.  Naturalists
incessantly dispute what it takes for a male echino-
derm (for example) to look good to a female echinoderm.

I'll recommend three approaches to the literature:
a.  start reading anything on "sexual selection" at
    a professional level.  It's an unusual week in
    which at least one of *Nature* and *Science*
    fails to touch on the topic, and there are now
    a number of synthetic books available;
b.  pick up one of Desmond Morris's popularizations.
    He has a photograph book (*The Human Body*?)
    that's particular fun;
c.  G. Evelyn Hutchinson has written astutely and
    sparely on the subject, although he's probably
    considered dated.  I remember one wry observa-
    tion that, (in my paraphrase) "as beauty becomes
    more behavioral, its nexus shifts from male to
    female."  That's to be understood as a comment
    on the human condition.

Incest and its avoidance is one subtopic that appears
throughout the literature on sexual selection.
--

Cameron Laird				USA 713-579-4613
cl@lgc.com (cl%lgc.com@uunet.uu.net)	USA 713-996-8546

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr5.233453.3577@leland.Stanford.EDU> repnomar@leland.Stanford.EDU (Janet M. Lafler) writes:

>[I write, proximate cause is avoidance of those associated with at
young age]
>Do you know about the traditional Chinese practice of young men marrying
>an adopted sister (who was adopted specifically to be his wife?

I don't know this case, but would also like to find out.  If the adoption
took place at a young age, the children were raised together
(frequent interaction), and the husband and wife had sex, it would
pose a problem for this proximate cause.  If no other proximate cause
could be observed, such as kin recognition, it would pose a problem for
the theory in general.  I hope to see more experiments and observations
done on sociobiological anthropology;  it is new enough that not enough
rigorous research has been done on the proximate causes for most of its
theories.

>Do species of different genuses (or whatever the appropriate taxonomical
>category is) have similar problems with inbreeding?  Has there been any
>research on incest avoidance behavior among non-primates?  Do you know of
>any results from this?  (Again, I'm curious.)

Well, my sister tells me her rats are incestuous as hell.  :-)
Different categories (species,...) may have different proximate
behaviors, and some may have no incest avoidance behavior.
For example, the mere fact of being separated at birth
and intermixed with many unrelated conspecifics may reduce
the chance of inbreeding sufficiently in many species, such
as fish, that avoidance will not evolve.   In other species, the
required genetic structure that could produce such a behavior may
not be available.  Where there is both need and availability, it will
evolve.  I am not familiar with the research beyond primates,
unfortuneately.

>Where would you place parent/child incest in this picture?

I have not read an sociobiology on this subject, but I can
extrapolate (make up my own theories :-) based on the basic
theory of sociobiology.  There are again two major possible proximate
causes, kin recognition (the recognition of genetic relatedness
regardless of cultural relationship) or proximity when young.
Kin recognition is considered to be difficult to evolve,
kind of violating Occam's Genetic Razor.  :-).  So let's consider
parent/child proximity.

If the capability for such a genetic structure exists, there will
be genetic avoidance behavior between parent and child based on proximity
of child-raising.  For species where the parent does not stay around in a
significant way,  one would not expect avoidance based on proximity.
For humans, parental proximity would predict the following:

* Societies where fathers do not actively help raise their daughters
  from a young age will have a higher frequency of father/daughter
  incest
* There will be a higher rate of parent/child incest for children adopted
  at an older age than genetic children or children adopted at a
  younger age.

On the other hand, a proximate cause of kin recognition would predict
the following:

* Societies where adultery is common (and has been for several generations)
  will have higher rates of father/daughter incest
* There will be a higher rate of parent/child incest for children adopted
  at any age than genetic children.

>One of my problems with sociobiological explanations for incest is that if
>there's a biological avoidance mechanism in place, why do we have codified
>taboos (e.g. as in the Bible)?  Would we need to codify something that was
>instinctive?

Good question.  Proximate causes are often associated with emotions.
For example, we hate the smell of our feces, and this probably is
a behavior of significant genetic origin, which acts through our nervous
system and is experienced as an emotion of disgust.  This emotion is
then communicated into cultural attitudes; a culture made up of people
who instinctively find human feces disgusting will probably have a cultural
norm that human feces is disgusting.

A similar process may be involved in translating the emotions accompanying
the behavior of incest avoidance into cultural attitudes regarding incest
avoidance.  Culture may map this emotion onto other members of the
community besides than those that elicit the proximate behavior, thus
creating taboos about cousins, et. al.   IMHO, anthropology can benefit
greatly by looking at the genetically induced building blocks of behavior
and emotion upon which the various cultures create their diverse cultural
structures.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
"If you want oil, drill lots of wells" -- J. Paul Getty
The above opinions are my own and not related to those of any
organization I may be affiliated with.

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr5.213834.13967@informix.com> herbach@informix.com (Martin Herbach) writes:
>...I read recently of a study (sorry, no citation)
>showing that a "beautiful" feature (e.g. nose) is one with "average"
>characteristics...[could incest avoidance work the same way]

This is quite an interesting idea.  I hope a sociobiologist gets
ahold if this one and can work on it.

Sociobiology looks at sexual attractiveness, which is related
to but not the same thing as the defintion of beauty used for the
"similar features" theory of beauty in psychology.  Sexual attractiveness
is related to a whole host of features having to do with reproductive
strategies, but a major contribution of sociobiology has been in
explaining why young women are considered by men more sexually attractive
than old.  Those women who, from their outward appearance, look most
likely to be fertile (age, health) are considered the most attractive
by men.  This may seem gratuitously obvious, but no other theory of
human behavior or culture explains this phenomenon.  From the Structuralist,
Cognitive, etc. points of view, there is nothing to explain why Miss America,
Playboy centerfolds, love goddesses, top models, etc. are 16-26 years old
(or, in modern times, heavily covered with makeup or surgery to make them
look that way).

--

bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (B. Charles Siegfried) (04/15/91)

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:

>In article <1991Apr5.233453.3577@leland.Stanford.EDU> repnomar@leland.Stanford.EDU (Janet M. Lafler) writes:

>>[I write, proximate cause is avoidance of those associated with at
>young age]
>>Do you know about the traditional Chinese practice of young men marrying
>>an adopted sister (who was adopted specifically to be his wife?

>I don't know this case, but would also like to find out.  If the adoption
>took place at a young age, the children were raised together
>(frequent interaction), and the husband and wife had sex, it would
>pose a problem for this proximate cause.  If no other proximate cause
>could be observed, such as kin recognition, it would pose a problem for
>the theory in general.  I hope to see more experiments and observations
>done on sociobiological anthropology;  it is new enough that not enough
>rigorous research has been done on the proximate causes for most of its
>theories.

	In fact, these matches do occur.  In what is called *sim-pua*
marriages, the wife is raised as a daughter from a very young age.
Here is a quote from Robin Fox:

	The Chinese traditionall had two forms of marriage.  In the
	major form, the bride came to the husnad's household as
	an adult.  In the minor form, she came as a *sim-pua*: virtually
	an adopted daughter of the the family who came in during
	childhood and lived there until old enough to marry a designated
	son of the household.

	The situation is much like a kibbutz, where the sabras [members
	of a peer group that is very sibling like] are expected to
	marry [but never do].

	Fox goes on to state that sim-pua marriages are often wrought
with difficulties.  Both spouses often enter into it very unwillingly.
Fox gives several account of where one of the spouses had to be threatened
by their parents before they would marry.  In China, the sim-pua marriage
is considered inferior to the major form of marriage.

Source : Robin Fox, _The Red Lamp of Incest_ (New York, Elsevier-Dutton
		Publishing, 1980) pp.37-8

__
Bryan Siegfried
Biology and Economics

joan@med.unc.edu (Joan Shields) (04/16/91)

In article <21529@crg5.UUCP> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>In article <1991Apr5.233453.3577@leland.Stanford.EDU> repnomar@leland.Stanford.EDU (Janet M. Lafler) writes:
>
>>Where would you place parent/child incest in this picture?
>
>I have not read an sociobiology on this subject, but I can
>extrapolate (make up my own theories :-) based on the basic
>theory of sociobiology.  There are again two major possible proximate
>causes, kin recognition (the recognition of genetic relatedness
>regardless of cultural relationship) or proximity when young.
>Kin recognition is considered to be difficult to evolve,
>kind of violating Occam's Genetic Razor.  :-).  So let's consider
>parent/child proximity.
>
>If the capability for such a genetic structure exists, there will
>be genetic avoidance behavior between parent and child based on proximity
>of child-raising.  For species where the parent does not stay around in a
>significant way,  one would not expect avoidance based on proximity.
>For humans, parental proximity would predict the following:
>
>* Societies where fathers do not actively help raise their daughters
>  from a young age will have a higher frequency of father/daughter
>  incest
>* There will be a higher rate of parent/child incest for children adopted
>  at an older age than genetic children or children adopted at a
>  younger age.
>
>On the other hand, a proximate cause of kin recognition would predict
>the following:
>
>* Societies where adultery is common (and has been for several generations)
>  will have higher rates of father/daughter incest
>* There will be a higher rate of parent/child incest for children adopted
>  at any age than genetic children.
>
>Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com

The above predictions are all very well and good if child/parental incest
in humans occured because of sexual attractiveness or fertility or even
to spite social moral.  However, most incest does not occur for those
reasons, rather for power, control, manipulation, the need/desire to abuse
something weaker.  How can a child be sexually attractive?  Incest is a
very devestating form of abuse, it is akin to rape - only in this case
(not just father-daughter) it lasts longer, over a period of years in some
cases and the perpetrator is someone the child is taught to love and
depend upon for protection.  We can always say that this is the exception
- but it isn't.  Incest/sexual abuse is much more common than we would
like to admit.  But what about incest between adults?  When did it start -
most likely in childhood.  Unless there's someone out there who has or had
a healthy sexual realtionship with a parent...

The devestation that incest leaves can last for years.  The scars are deep
and the shame, guilt, anger, and terror can destroy the grown child's
life.

In general, incest avoidance may indeed be a factor of genetic recognition
or proximity - it probably is, in a healthy family or society.  However,
the reasons given for why incest occurs despite the restaints both genetic
and cultural - are very idealistic and rare.  They may very well occur in
a small isolated society but I don't think they happen in ours.

The above are my opinions.

Joan

szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.044023.14297@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (B. Charles Siegfried) writes:

>	The Chinese traditionall had two forms of marriage.  In the
>	major form, the bride came to the husnad's household as
>	an adult.  In the minor form, she came as a *sim-pua*: virtually
>	an adopted daughter of the the family who came in during
>	childhood and lived there until old enough to marry a designated
>	son of the household.
>
>	The situation is much like a kibbutz, where the sabras [members
>	of a peer group that is very sibling like] are expected to
>	marry [but never do].
>
>	Fox goes on to state that sim-pua marriages are often wrought
>with difficulties.  Both spouses often enter into it very unwillingly.
>Fox gives several account of where one of the spouses had to be threatened
>by their parents before they would marry.  In China, the sim-pua marriage
>is considered inferior to the major form of marriage.

In both traditions, the couples involved have a strong aversion to entering
the marraige, despite social pressures.  This is what is predicted by
the sociobiological theory of incest avoidance based on shared childrearing
environment at a young age.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
"The biscuits and the syrup never come out even" -- Robert A. Heinlein

doug@eris.berkeley.edu (Doug Merritt) (04/24/91)

In article <3360@beguine.UUCP> joan@med.unc.edu (Joan Shields) writes:
>In article <21529@crg5.UUCP> szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
>>For humans, parental proximity would predict the following:
>>
>>* Societies where fathers do not actively help raise their daughters
>>  from a young age will have a higher frequency of father/daughter incest
>> [ etc ]
>
>The above predictions are all very well and good if child/parental incest
>in humans occured because of sexual attractiveness or fertility or even
>to spite social moral.  However, most incest does not occur for those
>reasons, rather for power, control, manipulation, the need/desire to abuse
>something weaker.  How can a child be sexually attractive?

Your comments apply to child molestation, and to incest occuring as a
form of abuse and/or rape. I know this can be a touchy subject, but please
understand that, in a biological and anthropological sense, those are not
the only forms of incest. In fact, I think that they are the least interesting
forms for the purpose of the current discussion, because they are considered
to be pathological cases, and emotionally charged ones to boot.

In a purely neutral and striving-to-be-objectively-scientific sense, one
wants to understand mechanisms without reacting emotionally. Nick's comments
were right on track for this purpose. Discussing incest as a psychological
and/or sociological pathology is an important topic, but is getting off
the original subject.

As another illustration of non-pathological incest, consider the sibling
marriages of European monarchies. The siblings may not have been too keen
on the idea, but there was no rape nor abuse nor molestation involved. It
was a matter of politics and sociology etc.

>Incest is a
>very devestating form of abuse, it is akin to rape - only in this case
>(not just father-daughter) it lasts longer, over a period of years in some
>cases and the perpetrator is someone the child is taught to love and
>depend upon for protection.  We can always say that this is the exception
>- but it isn't.  Incest/sexual abuse is much more common than we would
>like to admit.

Certainly. I've seen the statistics; it's quite common. But also consider
(POLITICALLY-INCORRECT-THINKING WARNING!) that the statistics for sibling
incest do not generally differentiate between willing versus abusive
relations. There *are* cases where say a sixteen year old girl has incestual
relations with her thirteen year old brother, both quite willingly. One
should always distinguish such cases from those of child molestation,
sibling rape, parental rape, etc. The mechanisms involved are presumably
quite different.

And understanding the general mechanisms for incest avoidance in primates
and in humans can only help understand the pathological cases.

>The devestation that incest leaves can last for years.  The scars are deep
>and the shame, guilt, anger, and terror can destroy the grown child's
>life.

This can of course apply even to willing cases of incest, but is far more
dependent on individual value systems (e.g. the aforementioned incestual
monarchy versus an originally-willing, later-guilty sibling incest in the
U.S.) than in cases of incestual *rape*.

>In general, incest avoidance may indeed be a factor of genetic recognition
>or proximity - it probably is, in a healthy family or society.  However,
>the reasons given for why incest occurs despite the restaints both genetic
>and cultural - are very idealistic and rare.  They may very well occur in
>a small isolated society but I don't think they happen in ours.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but keep in mind that we are all far
more emotionally involved in our own society than in others, and it is
easier to neutrally understand those other societies, and perhaps apply
the insight thereby gained to circumstances closer to home.
	Doug
Doug Merritt		doug@eris.berkeley.edu (ucbvax!eris!doug)
		or	uunet.uu.net!crossck!dougm

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (04/26/91)

I think that most of what people call `incest' should really just be called
`sexual child abuse'.  In the case where a parent abuses his child, i'd say
that the fact that the two are genetically related is only of secondary
importance.

I tend to think that this is common only because it's most `convenient' for
the abuser.  Assumedly he runs less risk of getting caught abusing his own
child than someone else's.  I think that this case is not very relevant, and
we should remove it from consideration when trying to figure out incest
avoidance.  It's unfortunate this that is as common as it is.

Biologically speaking, the consensual case is more interesting.  This would be
where there is no coercion, and the people involved are adults or, if
children, approximately the same age.  Unfortunately there's not much data on
this case.  Given that it's consensual and socially unacceptable, it's highly
likely that it will be kept secret.  So i think that it's hard to estimate how
common this is, or figure out when it happens.

Note that what is considered acceptable differs between cultures.  For
example, there is wide variation, even within cultures, on whether first
cousins are acceptable partners.  Also, some cultures distinguish cousins on
whether the parents are same-sex or opposite-sex siblings.  This makes some
sense genetically, but i don't know what the original justification is.

Regarding the comment ``How can a child be sexually attractive?'', i think
that there are enough weird people out there that just about anything may be
considered sexually attractive by someone.  Personally i don't know of anyone
who's sexually attracted to children, but then again i doubt someone would
admit to it.

Well, that's my two cents.  Comments welcome.
--
Joe Keane, amateur mathematician
jgk@osc.com (...!uunet!stratus!osc!jgk)