[sci.bio] Why sleep?

markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (05/01/91)

In article <42176@netnews.upenn.edu> rowe@pender.ee.upenn.edu (Mickey Rowe) writes:
>In the meantime you'll have to settle for me :) (though I'd also
>suggest that you might want to repost your original article to
>bionet.neuroscience).  I'm guessing from your post that you feel that
>the purpose of sleep is to put cortex into a state of low activity.
>If you feel that this is in order to give neurons a chance to rest, I
>have to tell you that I've never met *anyone* who took that idea
>seriously.

Now that we're on the subject, after I've been pondering this subject after
waking up this morning, let me tell you my opinion on the matter based on
some keen self-observations.

I slept 11 hours last night, and noticed a significant difference in the
functioning of my mind after I woke up.  As you go on during the day, and
day after day if you miss sleep, a certain thing happens to your mind that
I can only describe as "constricting edifices, or structures progressively
crystalling throughout the mind."  What they seem to be doing is hampering
the degree of spontanaiety, the ability to make associations, and they
seem to enhance the tendency to become stuck in ruts, and they thus increase
stress.

When I woke up, and this happens quite often, I felt "refreshed", which means
that I felt like someone took the shackles off my brain.  Inhibitions were
released, thinking was free again.

I don't know what they are, but I do know that during sleep (especially
with a good dream), they get purged ... almost like they're being washed
out by the random noise that occurs during REM sleep.

So, on the basis of continuing personal experience, it appears to me
that the primary function of REM sleep is to periodically purge the brain
of parasitic modes by washing it out with random noise.

Of course, your conscious mind catches some of this noise and weaves all
kinds of stories around it to make it consistent ... thus: dreams.  I'm
acutely aware of it, if I happen to be awake when it starts...

rowe@pender.ee.upenn.edu (Mickey Rowe) (05/01/91)

In article <11612@uwm.edu> markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu
          (Mark William Hopkins) writes:
>I slept 11 hours last night,

You blew it again, buddy; Data doesn't sleep (apologies to the non
talk.origins readers...)

>So, on the basis of continuing personal experience, it appears to me
>that the primary function of REM sleep is to periodically purge the brain
>of parasitic modes by washing it out with random noise.

This is basically what I was getting at with my reference to Francis
Crick.

>Of course, your conscious mind catches some of this noise and weaves all
>kinds of stories around it to make it consistent ... thus: dreams.  I'm
>acutely aware of it, if I happen to be awake when it starts...

And this is what J. Allan Hobson would say.  However, the reality
seems to be that you remember your dreams if you wake up while they
are occurring, which would be the end rather than the beginning.

But since we're almost there (and I'm almost asleep :) Richard Feynman
claimed that he was able to induce lucid dreaming (a state in which
you are aware that you are dreaming while you are still asleep, and
are thus able to modify your dreams and fly or do whatever you'd like
to do in your dreams) by thinking about what he was thinking as he
fell asleep.  Eventually his thoughts got more chaotic as he began to
drift, so that he would have thoughts without knowing where they came
from (or rather not quite seeing how the bizarre connections seemed to
be made) and then he would be asleep and lucidly dreaming.  I think
I'll go try that now...

Mickey Rowe      (rowe@pender.ee.upenn.edu)