[sci.bio] Raccoons in my belfry

afsipmh@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (05/06/91)

Sorry if this isn't quite the proper forum but:
 I have a raccoon and its pups in my attic. I could catch/kill the
 mother but this would not deal with the pups and I can't get at them
 where they are. Before I take drastic/violent action I want to give
 them a chance of leaving by harassing them sufficiently. My question is
 how long before the young are mobile enough to leave the nest?
 Harming them in any way will be a last resort. Is there a way of
 "smoking" them out?
--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.

mmvvmm@mixcom.COM (Daniel Offutt) (05/09/91)

afsipmh@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA writes:

>Sorry if this isn't quite the proper forum but:
> I have a raccoon and its pups in my attic.

Go buy a box of mothballs, grind them up (to increase the surface area), and
spread them in your attic where you can sweep them up later.  Close all the
windows in your attic, but leave a small opening -- an easy path out of the
attic for the raccoons.  You might want to try to seal the rest of the house
off from the attic.  Then wait.  As the naphthalene fumes become more
concentrated in the attic, the raccoons should become more and more inclined
to leave.

kell@cs.albany.edu (Brian A. Kell) (05/10/91)

In article <710@mixcom.COM>, mmvvmm@mixcom.COM (Daniel Offutt) writes:
> Go buy a box of mothballs, grind them up (to increase the surface area), and
> spread them in your attic where you can sweep them up later.
> [...]   As the naphthalene fumes become more
> concentrated in the attic, the raccoons should become more and more inclined
> to leave.

Mothballs are really good at keeping bunnies from eating your lettuce
plants, too.

brian kell