[sci.bio] Slime Mold

arf@gagme.chi.il.us (jack schmidling) (06/12/91)

 Article 4615 (32 more) in sci.bio:
 From: doug@netcom.COM (Doug Merritt)
 Subject: Slime mold???

 >Does slime mold ever settle into a form that resembles a
 sponge?

 ARF says:  Yes

 >Something that *looks* like a sponge sometimes appears out
 of a crack in the tile in my bathroom (moist environment),
 and shows indications of having moved up to 6 inches
 laterally overnight.

 >The body was about 2 inches wide & deep the first time, and
 this time was about 2 inches wide but maybe 5 inches long.
 It looks very much like a sponge (off yellow, dotted with
 tiny holes etc), but is rather crumbly when it's cleaned
 away.

 ARF says:

 The part that was moving was the plasmodium.  It moves much
 like a giant amoeba.   The crubly stuff was the fruiting
 body anagalous to the mushroom of more common fungi.  Some
 species of slime mold have the plasmodium ripen directly
 into a giant mass of spores, while others sprout tiny
 mushroom-like sporangia.

 One spore, typically 5-10 microns long, properly nurtured,
 will produce the whole mess.   The process is fascinating to
 watch.  I just so happen to have caught such an event, in
 time lapse some years ago.   Here comes the commercial.....

 "THE ROTTEN WORLD OF FUNGUS" is available (VHS video) at
 your local library or from........

 If anyone really cares, I will be happy to send info on it.

 arf