[sci.bio] Coelocanth and evolution: Human chr. differences

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (06/12/91)

In article <676362297.46@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Vincent.A.Mazzarella@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Vincent A Mazzarella) writes:

   But, of course, genomes of every human is quite different from every other
   human. What matters are those differences causing a change in phenotype.

Waitaminnithere.  "Quite?" Less than < 1% is quite?  Please define
what you mean.  The chimp-human sequence divergence is about 1%, which
I can't see a "quite different" by any stretch of the imagination.

dan davison
davison@uh.edu

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77204-5934/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.

stodola@orion.fccc.edu (Robert K. Stodola) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.033532.3222@menudo.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>In article <676362297.46@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Vincent.A.Mazzarella@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Vincent A Mazzarella) writes:
>
>   But, of course, genomes of every human is quite different from every other
>   human. What matters are those differences causing a change in phenotype.
>
>Waitaminnithere.  "Quite?" Less than < 1% is quite?  Please define
>what you mean.  The chimp-human sequence divergence is about 1%, which
>I can't see a "quite different" by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't know much about primate genetics (or any other, for that matter), but
I gather all mammals have approximately the same amount of DNA, and many
pieces are common.  In many species, however, they are mixed up on a different
numbers of chromosomes.  This would seem to interfere with the normal mating
process...

kliman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.033532.3222@menudo.uh.edu>, davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
> In article <676362297.46@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Vincent.A.Mazzarella@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Vincent A Mazzarella) writes:
>
>    But, of course, genomes of every human is quite different from every other
>    human. What matters are those differences causing a change in phenotype.
>
> Waitaminnithere.  "Quite?" Less than < 1% is quite?  Please define
> what you mean.  The chimp-human sequence divergence is about 1%, which
> I can't see a "quite different" by any stretch of the imagination.

From a genetic standpoint, it seems to me that 1% sequence divergence is quite
substantial.  That would supply, on average, 1 change for every 33 codons.  Of
course, many of those changes would be silent (or effectively neutral, given
the similarity of many amino acids coded for by similar codons).  However,
some amino acid substitutions can have major phenotypic effects.  If we use
50,000 as the number of genes in humans (Science 252:1255), and figure that most
will differ in amino acid sequence when compared to those of chimps, we
shouldn't be surprised by the degree of phenotypic divergence observed.

 - Rich Kliman

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.132215.20792@fccc.edu> stodola@orion.fccc.edu
(Robert K. Stodola) writes:

[comments about humans having very different chromosomes from each
other, followed by a request for defintion of 'different'

   Don't know much about primate genetics (or any other, for that matter), but
   I gather all mammals have approximately the same amount of DNA, and many
   pieces are common.  In many species, however, they are mixed up on
   a different numbers of chromosomes.  This would seem to interfere
   with the normal mating process...

Oh. No, it doesn't interfere with the "normal mating process", it
interfers with mitosis during cell divison.

What the poster originally said:
   >   But, of course, genomes of every human is quite different from
   >   every other human.

By your definition above humans would not be able to mate, which,
while beneficial for the rest of the biosphere, would be a major
bummer for most humans.

Nonetheless, by no means are the genomes of every human quite
different. There is a semi-mythical story about pathologists being
asked to look at a panel of chromosomes from gorilla and human, with
the obvious ringers removed.  All shown the chromosomes could not tell
the human from the gorilla.

dan