[sci.bio] Crossing Humans w/ Humans.

Larry_WB_Ching@cup.portal.com (06/20/91)

( This is a re-post from talk.origins)
 While I was at a party at a science fiction convention in San Diego a
few years ago, I met a woman who claimed some knowledge of human genetics.
She said that the human race was close to speciation;
as I remember, her evidence was that persons of pure Eskimo ancestry
cannot produce normal children by persons of pure Australian aboriginal
ancestry.
 Was she right, or am I misquoting her? I think her point in using these
two ethnic groups is that both have been isolated for many generations.
 If anyone has any references I could read, I'd appreciate it! I have
a technical background (MSEE), but no bio except high school frog
torturing and reading Stephan Jay Gould.

[ NO FANCY .SIG YET .... ]

kyee@bnlux1.bnl.gov (kenton yee) (06/22/91)

In article <43492@cup.portal.com> Larry_WB_Ching@cup.portal.com writes:
> While I was at a party at a science fiction convention in San Diego a
>few years ago, I met a woman who claimed some knowledge of human genetics.
>She said that the human race was close to speciation;
>as I remember, her evidence was that persons of pure Eskimo ancestry
>cannot produce normal children by persons of pure Australian aboriginal
>ancestry.
> Was she right, or am I misquoting her? I think her point in using these
>two ethnic groups is that both have been isolated for many generations.

but this can be easily tested.  maybe the kids are mules.