[sci.bio] Environment vs. Genetics

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (06/25/91)

In article <3494.28656C72@ofa123.fidonet.org> Kirk.Reeves@f450.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Kirk Reeves) writes:
>Recently on the Donuhue show, I saw this bioliogist claim Orietinal are smarter
>than whites, whites are smarter then blacks, but Black have a bigger sex drive.
>Being black, I totally disagreed with this man.  I was  wondering since the
>people here are scienists (real scienists) if the question of evolution vs genes
>has been quoted: Solved.
>The best answer (and the fairest) was a book written in 1980? called the
>Genesisactor.  What I was wondering is amont bioliogists, has that book and the
>theories (It not genes or evolutions it just your Basic better man)
>has been disputed.  THank you
>

>--
>Kirk Reeves
>Internet: Kirk.Reeves@f450.n101.z1.fidonet.org
>Compuserve: >internet:Kirk.Reeves@f450.n101.z1.fidonet.org
This is an old problem that was solved long ago by geneticists. The phenotypic
variance Vp (the variance in a trait that we can measure) is equal Vg (the
variance due to genetic factors), plus Ve (the variance due to the
environment.)

The only problem that arises is when yahoos with an axe to grind make
sweeping generalizations that are totally unjustified given the data at
hand. Although whole books have been written on this subject, let me just
make a few relevant comments:

1) First of all, the trait must be straightforward to measure. Good
quantitive traits include %fat in milk, height at maturity, yeild in
kilograms per hectare, and so forth. Things that are hard to define, such
as intelligence or sex drive are bad examples of quantitative traits. Yes,
you can assign precise definitions to such traits (eg. IQ scores) and plug
these numbers into a computer and get an answer, but you can conclude
almost nothing from it, because the definition itself is inadequate to
truly describe such fuzzy concepts  as intelligence.

2) How you set up the experiment can have profound consequences on the
outcome.
Let me give an example. Suppose we wished to determine whether or not
blacks, as a group, like watermelon more than other groups. How do we do
this experiment? Do we examine the buying preferences of different groups,
and see who buys more watermelon? Economic or marketing factors could bias
our results. How about conducting a survey? How you write up the questions
can bias the results. Go to shopping malls and hand out free samples  to
passersby? This experiment might test the prediliction towards
participating in marketing tests, rather than fruit preference. Okay, have
a choice of fruit available. But will the selection available, or the
quality of each sample make a difference? Social  scientists tear their
hair out over problems like this.

3) Quantitative traits are distributed within a population around some mean
value. Think of a bell-curve that might represent this distribution of
scores.  The variance of this distribution can be visualized by thinking
about how broad the curve is. Statistically, population variance is defined
as the sum of the squares of the deviations of each member of the
population from the mean, divided by the size of the population. The
important thing here is that individuals in populations vary, for any
quantitative trait. Furthermore, the bell-curves for two populations are
likely to have substantial overlaps, for the type of traits we're talking
about. Thus, while you might be able to show that the MEAN scores for a
particular IQ test are Oriental > White > Black, that says nothing about
distributions, and certainly does not say that ALL orientals are smarter
than ALL whites etc. Furthermore, you have the problems of experimental
bias  and definition of the trait, as mentioned in 1 & 2 above.

4) The components of variance are VERY hard to measure experimentally.
Plant breeders will often go through laborious crosses to create inbred
populations in which the genetic component of variance is eliminated, in
order to measure environmental variance. You don't have this luxury with
people.

5) The heritability of a trait is roughly defined and the genetic component
of variance expressed as a fraction of the total phenotypic variance. (I'm
oversimplifying here, but it serves for our purposes.) Geneticists have
found that the heritibility is strongly affected by environment. Thus, in
one environment, phenotypic variance might be mostly due to environmental
influences, while in another environment, genetics might be more important.
So WHERE you do the experiment can greatly influence the outcome!

The take-home lesson here is that quantitative genetics is very hard to do,
and even harder to do so well that you can get results that are worth
anything. Put another way, it's easy to plug some numbers into a computer
program. It's hard to design and execute a well thought out experiment.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     | Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy
University of Manitoba          | to go fly a kite.
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |
frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca          |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |   - Robert A. Heinlein
FAX:            204-275-5128    |

cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.182627.595@ccu.umanitoba.ca> frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>In article <3494.28656C72@ofa123.fidonet.org> Kirk.Reeves@f450.n101.z1.fidonet.org (Kirk Reeves) writes:
>>Recently on the Donuhue show, I saw this bioliogist claim Orietinal are smarter
>>than whites, whites are smarter then blacks, but Black have a bigger sex drive.
			.
			.
			.
>The take-home lesson here is that quantitative genetics is very hard to do,
>and even harder to do so well that you can get results that are worth
>anything. Put another way, it's easy to plug some numbers into a computer
>program. It's hard to design and execute a well thought out experiment.
			.
			.
			.
... moreover, the capacity to do that hard work seems
to correlate negatively with the propensity to appear
on the Donahue show.  Public persons who make silly
claims such as "Orientals are smarter ..." are cheating
the listeners, of course, in propagating factual errors,
but their biggest lie is that Science is just a corpus
of data, all of them equally valid, and all available
only through the intercession of Authorities and the
Elect.

I rant, a bit.  My excuse is the hope that sci.bio
readers will re-double our efforts to communicate to
students that biology is a humanistic, *critical*
endeavor.
--

Cameron Laird				+1 713-579-4613
cl@lgc.com (cl%lgc.com@uunet.uu.net)	+1 713-996-8546