[mod.os] Operating Systems Digest V1 #2

mod-os@sdcsvax.UUCP (01/04/87)

From: Darrell Long (The Moderator) <mod-os@sdcsvax.uucp>

Operating Systems Digest  Sun Jan  4 08:43:21 PST 1987  Volume 1 : Issue 2

Today's topics: Insecure physical mediums for information transmission

From: SKY <ucbvax!cad.Berkeley.EDU!ames!seismo!rochester!ken@sdcsvax>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 87 02:17:24 -0500

There are two related topics I would to see like discussed here. In
mod.risks someone asked about the security risks of putting a LAN
through university dormitories, where would-be hackers could tap
sensitive information.

Question: what OS research is directed towards this problem of a
distributed environment? For example, so far we have assumed that NFS
carrying Ethernets are physically secure, but this will no longer be
true.

Amoeba had a scheme in which physically secure encryption boxes were
used at the wall socket. Are there any other ideas out there?

	Ken

End of Operating Systems Digest