[mod.os] Information please: 'S1'

andrew@stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew Macpherson) (03/08/87)

Beyond the name, and a fourth hand comment attributed to a German CS
researcher (I don't even know which) that 'S1' is the coming thing, I
know nothing.  Any pointers to literature, or reviews by users would be
a help.

In view of the generality of this request, it would probably be best if
I were to publish a synopsis of replies a month after this message is
published by the moderator, so please mail me your replies!  Thanks

--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.  <andrew@tcom.stc.co.uk>  {backbone}!ukc!stc!andrew

las@sdcsvax.UUCP (03/10/87)

S1 may be pure vaporware (excuse me, vapourware).  In June '85 I saw a
promotional leaflet for S1 which announced in large letters "UNIX IS A
DINOSAUR."  This was followed by a series of bombastic (wild, probably
exaggerated) claims for functionality and performance mixed with a
viscious diatribe against UNIX.  I have no great love for UNIX, but
the intensity of the criticism was not justified.

regards
Larry
BRITANNUS (shocked): Caesar, this is not proper.
THEODOTUS (outraged): How?
CAESAR (recovering his self-possession):
  Pardon him Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that
  the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
(_Caesar and Cleopatra_, Act II - G. B. Shaw)

Larry A. Shurr

cbatt!osu-eddie!apr!las (preferred, alternates: {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbcp1!las)

Darrell Long
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, C-014
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California  92093

ARPA: Darrell@Beowulf.UCSD.EDU
UUCP: sdcsvax!beowulf!darrell

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (03/10/87)

In article <2827@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, andrew@stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew Macpherson) writes:
> Beyond the name, and a fourth hand comment attributed to a German CS
> researcher (I don't even know which) that 'S1' is the coming thing, I
> know nothing.  Any pointers to literature, or reviews by users would be
> a help.

The S1 operating system is a (claimed) product of Multi Soulutions Inc.
Essentially, it's a vegomatic vaporware operating system which supposedly
fixes the (so-called) deficiencies in UNIX such as lack of a record-oriented
file type.  I haven't heard from them in a while, but when they were active
all they seem to do is sit around and malign UNIX and say how great and worderful
S1 was going to be and that it was going to run on anything.  I have never
found a single product that uses it.  I have doubts that if it does exist
that it ever worked well.

The president of the company John Littlemind (from the Planet X) wrote a
"opposing viewpoint" article in an Electronics feature on UNIX a few years
back.  What was really amazing about his rebuttal was that the problems he
cited had either never existed in UNIX, or had been fixed in standard versions
of UNIX that way predated the article.  For example, he indicated that UNIX
could never work in a multiprocessor enviroment where the processors were
doing equal shares of the work rather than having one CPU and relegating
trivial I/O tasks.  I thought that was so amusing that the quote was glued
to the front of our Dual Processor VAX 780 (Purdue-mods) running 4.2.  The
original strategy for multiprocessor UNIX was layed out in 1975 in a paper
at the Naval Postgraduate School, which was long before John, or most people
could spell UNIX.

What is especially distressing, is that there is a architecture research
project developing a computer called "S1" which is much more creditable.

-Ron

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (03/11/87)

Let me add to Ron's comments about the "other" S-1.

The S-1 project is a US Navy funded attempt to make a supercomputer out
at LLNL.  They are on the ARPAnet (sci.space is gatewayed thru an S-1
machine) and Usenet (I thought they would reply). The original S-1
project developed (as I recall) the SCALD
systems for CAD, for the purposes of a computer 16 times a Cray-1 in
power using 16 Cray class (36-bit addressing, but 72-bit data word)
CPUs connected via a cross-bar switch running a Unix like operating
system named Amber.  The architecture was like a DEC-10/20.  They went
from a Mark I design to a Mark II and I most recently heard of the IIa,
and they are going to a Mark III design in VLSI.  Some people would say
they are little better than the other S1.  You can read a little about
S-1 in the book entitled "Star Warriors."  The project was proposed in
the late 1970s by Lowell Wood of LLNL.  It seems by the time the S-1
gets completed, Cray-1s will be sitting on our desks, and Cray will mean
something else.

Star Wars is a trademark of Lucasfilm, Ltd.
>From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene