indicated with arrows on the left):

    Date: Sun, 22 Jan 84 09:45:37 pst
==> From: Mike O'Dell@BRL-VGR.ARPA, mo@lbl-csam
==> MMDF-Warning:  Parse error in preceeding line at BRL-VGR.ARPA
    To: unix-wizards@brl
    Subject: NULL pointers

Note that the "From" line in the above header is invalid according to
RFC822, since the first address (Mike O'Dell@BRL-VGR.ARPA) contains a
space in its "local-part".  Further, of course, this first address is
incorrect, since Mike O'Dell is in fact not at BRL.

I assume the munging in question is probably taking place at BRL-VGR
(based on the "MMDF-Warning" line).  I know it is not happening here
at UCLA-LOCUS, since we do not use MMDF and our mail handler does not
modify "From" lines of incoming ARPANET mail in any way.

On several occasions, I have asked various people at LBL-CSAM to send me
test messages so that I could see what their "From" lines looked like
(again, hoping to take advantage of the fact that my system's mailer
doesn't munge "From" lines).  I have never succeeded in getting any
reply.  I don't know whether this is because the people I have asked
thought I was a busybody or a crackpot, or because my messages simply
never arrived.

Can someone (at BRL and/or at LBL) explain and/or fix this problem?

-- Rich <v.wales@UCLA-LOCUS>

P.S. to MMDF gurus:
    "Preceeding" is a misspelling.  It should be "preceding", since the
    base form of the word is "precede".