[net.mail.headers] UTC Time stamping

Alpern.Ibm-Sj@Rand-Relay.ARPA (David Alpern) (02/01/84)

Pardon me, but I think we have a while before we have to worry
about how people on Mars would timestamp their messages.

Like Benson, I as well use the zone in the timestamp to get an
idea of the location of the sender.  Sure, it's not 100% accurate,
and maybe it'd be nice if a user could specify the zone that would
be best to use on messages he's sending.  This is something we
might consider when writing mail sending programs.  No change to
any of the "standards" is involved here.

However, I somehow missed hearing about the problem that the use
of zones other than UTC leads to.  Was there one?  If so, someone
please resend a copy of the original message to me.

If not:  Many of the mailers around are used more for internal (within
some school or company) than external mailing.  If I'm on MIT-EECS, and
get a message from someone on MIT-ML, I care how recently he sent the
message (local time) more than I do what Universal Time it was.

RFC 822 does specify a human readable header, and not a machine readable
one, in general.  For example, consider the usefulness of the "name:;"
nomenclature for a distribution list to any program without access to
the original list file.  I would much prefer if any program that tried
to deal with the time for some reason (does anyone???) had to convert
than that the mail sending program and mail reading program had to
convert at either end for human use.

Again, I'd be interested in hearing why this discussion seems important,
i.e. what we're trying to prevent or solve.  So many mailers aren't
even 822 compatible when it comes to dates that I would think the zone
issue would be rather minor.

With apologies for flaming,

Dave

Margulies@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA (Benson I. Margulies) (02/02/84)

The problem is that we do not have an agreed upon unique list of time
zone identifiers.  Thus the ISO date standard calls for both the zone
abbreviation and its offset from UTC.

I still do not see why that is not an adequate solution, though.

POSTEL@USC-ISIF.ARPA (02/02/84)

I don't think i have ever seen a list of international standard time zone
designators from ISO or CCITT or any standards organization.  I think the
only official international standard way to indicate a time zone is by
a numeric offset.

--jon.
-------

Rick.Gumpertz@CMU-CS-A.ARPA (Richard H. Gumpertz) (02/02/84)

So we use ANSI (because we are Americans, mostly) for American time zones
in alphanumeric and other time zones in numeric.  As I recall, this is
a superset of the ISO standard but conveys more information (CDT differs from
EST but are numerically equal).

DaviesNJ.SysMaint%aucc@ucl-cs.arpa ("Neil Davies%aucc"@ucl-cs.arpa) (02/02/84)

    Date:  1 Feb 1984 18:59:44 PST
    From:  POSTEL@arpa.usc-isif
    Subject:  Re: UTC Time stamping

    I don't think i have ever seen a list of international standard time zone
    designators from ISO or CCITT or any standards organization.  I think the
    only official international standard way to indicate a time zone is by
    a numeric offset.

    --jon.
    -------

Jumping ot the filling cabinet. He gets out X.409 CCITT Message handling
systems presentaion Trasfer syntax and Notation) or at least a draft of
it.
 One of the sections refers to "UTC", and the presentation layer
representation of it.
 In the references section there are three ISO refernces namely:
	ISO 2014, Writing Calendar dates in all-numeric form.
	ISO 3307, Information interchange- representation of time of the day.
	ISO 4031, Information interchange- representation of local time differentials.

also one to
	B.11, Legal time; use of the term UTC
 (don't know who origniated that one).
	'Fraid I don't happen to have copies of those standards.
	Neil Davies.