[net.mail.headers] Forwarded mail from Kenneth Sloan <sloan@uw-tanga.arpa>

David Alpern <ALPERN%SJRLVM4.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA> (02/12/85)

=== Begin message text ===

Date: 11 Feb 1985 17:03-PST
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@uw-tanga.arpa>
Subject: Re: RFC 934 - Message Encapsulation
To: David Alpern  <ALPERN%SJRLVM4.BITNET@wiscvm.arpa>

David-

Well, I probably don't have my note anymore - sadly, I find that I
don't have time to participate in these RFC debates.  If you still have
a copy, you may do with it what you want, including posting it.

As for "how to break from" in-band signalling, I support the idea of
using a unique (to a particular message) character sequence, which is
specified in a header field.  I reject (on principle) any scheme which
requires modifying the text of a message.

I would prefer a scheme in which the message breaks were listed in the
header (say, by line number).  Something like:

    Break-On: 1, 53, 105, 259, 711, 911

However, that seems to be politically incorrect...

Keep on fighting the good fight.

-Ken Sloan

=== End message text ===