[net.mail.headers] capitalization

"Benson I. Margulies" <Margulies@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA> (02/12/85)

Why in seven hells do these cute-as-a-shithouse-rat mailers insist on
touching the text of the destination host name at all?  Why not make the
rules be "match case insensitive, but preserve what the sender sent?"

"the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow" <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA> (02/13/85)

I'm with you Benson.

As I recall, it all started years ago when Dave Crocker thought it was
a "good idea" to cutesy-up host names and put code in the MMDF mailer.
Since then, the affliction seems to have grown and spread.  Can we
kill the epidemic before it becomes inter galactically offensive?

Greg Skinner <Gds@MIT-XX.ARPA> (02/13/85)

I agree with what was said about retaining case insensitivity while
also retaining the original header information.  A friend of mine was
unkindly flamed at by the mailer at ihnp4 which had rejected a legal
address sent to me at houxm via ihnp4, excepting the fact that all the
host names had been capitalized.  The mail software running at ihnp4
was case sensitive, causing the messages to fail, however the sending
agent (the VMS mailer on mit-jcf) had no business capitalizing the
address my friend supplied, which was in lowercase.

--gregbo
gds@mit-xx.arpa
gregbo%houxm.uucp@harvard.arpa
{allegra,cbogsd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo
-------

lmcl@ukc.UUCP (L.M.McLoughlin) (02/15/85)

In article <8288@brl-tgr.ARPA> "the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow" <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA> writes:
>As I recall, it all started years ago when Dave Crocker thought it was
>a "good idea" to cutesy-up host names and put code in the MMDF mailer.
>Since then, the affliction seems to have grown and spread.  Can we
>kill the epidemic before it becomes inter galactically offensive?

One mod I *HAD* to make to MMDF in order to run in the UK/Europe was to
take out the uppercasing.  This was easily done, everywhere in the main
system is caseless but  will use the case of the official name in the database
when asked to rewrite it.  I just stopped the database builder from
uppercasing it in the first place!

So on being given:
	Kcl-CS
	kcl-cs
or
	KCL-CS
in an address they will all be considered the same as:
	kcl-cs
and will be re-written to that on output.

I say *HAD* since nearby sendmail sites stomped all over message headers
because it couldn't recognise sites like UKC and KCL-CS.

So if you run MMDF and have a neighbour who runs sendmail better check
on this.

sjl@ukc.UUCP (S.J.Leviseur) (02/15/85)

There are interesting side affects to removing case conversion
from the MMDF database routines. This kills the aliasing of mixed
case names. S.J.Leviseur will not now match s.j.leviseur and be
remapped, instead the mail will be rejected with an unknown user
message. Still, its better than having sendmail sites returning
mail because of case sensitivity.

	sean

	sjl@ukc.UUCP		SERC UK UNIX SUPPORT OFFICER

jim@mcvax.UUCP (Jim McKie) (02/16/85)

In article <4871@ukc.UUCP> sjl@ukc.UUCP (Sean) writes:
    ........ Still, its better than having sendmail sites returning
    mail because of case sensitivity.

Lee McLoughlin also makes the same (wrong) connection between sendmail
and case-sensitivity. When I pointed the problem out to Lee (and to
which he was quick to fix), I thought I made it clear that it was a
fact of life that UUCP is case sensitive, not sendmail. In a sendmail
configuration for a particular mailer, you can specify whether the
case is sensitive or not - for UUCP it is.

I'm no expert, or great fan of sendmail, but it gets a bad enough press
for other things already.

Jim McKie (...*not* at McVax...)

> Why in seven hells do these cute-as-a-shithouse-rat mailers insist on
> touching the text of the destination host name at all?  Why not make the
> rules be "match case insensitive, but preserve what the sender sent?"

Some machines believe in full ASCII, others are only half-Ascii.  Some
people on the former machines like all one case (their choice), while
others like mixed cases, and those on the latter machines get no choice.
Unfortunately, not all software is tolerant of this kind of variation,
so each system tries to do "the right thing" by its addresses.  And, we
being the egoless types we are, "the right thing" gets interpreted in
some rather interesting ways at different sites.	;-)

Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{ARPA,UUCP}