[net.mail.headers] those colons again

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (04/15/85)

Some people have names with have an umlaut in them -- like Bjo:rn.
They stick colons into their names to indicate this. It freaks out
certain mailers that we all know. I think that the mailers should be
changed -- though this is another ``locking the barn door after the
horse has escaped'' problem.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (04/22/85)

In article <5488@utzoo.UUCP> laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:

> Some people have names with have an umlaut in them -- like Bjo:rn.
> They stick colons into their names to indicate this. It freaks out
> certain mailers that we all know. I think that the mailers should be
> changed -- though this is another ``locking the barn door after the
> horse has escaped'' problem.
>
> Laura Creighton
> utzoo!laura

Aren't colons supposed to be on the way out as a routing character?

/jordan
-------
ARPA:	jordan@berkeley.ARPA
UUCP:	..!ucbvax!jordan