[net.mail.headers] RFC920 domains vs. cow patties

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (Joel West) (06/07/85)

Thanks to the generosity of Mark Horton, I recently received a copy of
RFC920, "Domain Requirements", 10/84.  (I'll forward a copy if anyone
doesn't have it and wants one, incidentally)

I agree with several points it makes:
     1) subdomains are needed to localize the routing of mail.
     2) The domain/subdomain scheme should be used in conjunction with the
	host name to assure a unique address.  My "frog" is UUCP'd to "clyde"
	and apparently some people looked at published maps and assumed that
	this was another "frog" 3,000 miles away! (-:
     3)	Every site should have only one name, at least outside its intimate
	friends.  Why should "sdcsvax!jww", "jww@UCSD" "jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA",
	"jww@sdcsvax.UUCP" all have to be recognizable synonyms for the same
	destination?

Then I took my current addresses, and transformed them under the proposed
scheme:
	gould9!cacimv!joel	joel@sdmv.caci.com	(coming soon!)
	joel@frog-nosc.arpa	joel@frog.nosc.gov
	ihnp4!sdcc3!gould9!joel	joel@gould9.gould.com
	jww@sdcsvax.arpa	jww@eecs.sd.uc.edu
	ihnp4!bonnie!jww	jww@bonnie.att.com
Now what do these all have in common?  The last four machines are each linked
together directly via tcp/ip or uucp; the first 4 are located within
a 10 mile radius of my office in San Diego.  But, under the
proposed scheme, what do they have to do with each other?  Not much.

Here are some of my friends, similarly transmogrified
	ebbe@cc11.cs.uc.edu
	newman@castor.mit.edu
	russell@locus.la.uc.edu
	shari@csd-gould.gould.com
	dbw@sd.encore.com
	tim@twg.???.com
	ian@loral.???.com
	lauren@vortex.???.com
It is my position (burn, heretic! (-:) that the use of domains and subdomains
should add to, not subtract from, the information contained in the address.
In some cases, the proposed scheme will follow natural organizational
affinities - e.g. UCSD, the UC system, DEC, ATT, and so on.

But otherwise, this whole idea stinks of a bureaucratic approach to stultify
an already working system.  Who's going to volunteer to be the domain server
for "org"?  or, for that matter, for "com"?  Now you have all the disadvantages
of the ARPAnet without the advantages of a fast transmission scheme.  What
does a small company (e.g. vortex) do when it's not part of a natural subdomain?

In short, the whole NIC approach proposes to re-invent the wheel and replace
it with a pyramidal rock. (-:  Developed over a period of years, it ignores
existing natural addressing schemes that have evolved over decades or centuries.
There are many existing routing schemes that would do better, and correspond
to some existing, more natural approach. (such a geography)

The telephone co. uses a single-level hierarchy (area code), as do the airlines.
The post office uses both single (zip) and double (city,state).

	joel@gould.sd.ca.usa
	joel@gould.san		(globally unique airport code)
or	joel@gould.921.usa
or even	joel@gould.619.usa

says more than the alternate approach.  I don't know about you, but most of
our uucp links are local.  Most of my contacts in the computer community are
local.  It is my position (heresy! (-:) that the use of domains and subdomains
should add to, not subtract from, the information in the address.

Here are some alternate machine addresses.  I didn't have to guess
"what subdomain is vortex?"  Note also that the top-level geographic domain
becomes optional for local calls, as with your telephone.

    frog.nosc.gov	frog.nosc[.san]		frog.nosc[.sd.ca]
    eecs.sd.uc.edu	eecs.ucsd
    cc11.cs.uc.edu	cc11.ucsd
    bonnie.att.com	bonnie.att.ewr		bonnie.wh.nj
    castor.mit.edu	castor.mit.bos		castor.mit.cam.ma
    locus.la.uc.edu	locus.ucla.lax		locus.ucla.la[.ca]
    csd-gould.gould.com	csd-gould.fll		csd-gould.ftl.fl
    sd.encore.com	encore.san		encore.sd.ca
    twg.???.com		twg.sjc			twg.sil.ca
    vortex.???.com	vortex.lax		vortex.la

Without knowing much about each of these sites, I could guess their address.
(Even if I were slightly wrong, the San Jose server could hold the San Franciscotables, etc.)  Not only that, the use of geographical name servers means
routing is unambiguous; my "frog" in San Diego is distinct from someone else's
"frog" in Boston; not only that, no one is likely to confuse them.

Even the subdomains shown aren't strictly necessary, since there aren't likely
to be many bonnie's within an hour's drive of Newark. (And for the UNIX
network, the "att" in att.ewr is redundant (-:).

As always, we welcome your opinions.
--
	Joel West	CACI, Inc. -- Federal
	{allegra, decvax, ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww

Flaming to spark discussion is no sin. -- jww@some.where.or.another

jonah@deepthot.UUCP (Jeff Lee) (06/10/85)

Joel,
	I'd like to take you up on your offer of a copy of RFC920.  I
don't know what the latest word is, but the domain/subdomain naming
conventions outlined in RFC819 are too restricting.  I agree that a
geographically related addressing scheme could be appealing, but it
does have problems.  Who, for instance, is responsible for creating
the addresses, or ensuring their uniqueness.  Likewise, with sparce
electronic networks, a machine down the street may be harder to get
to than one in the next state.  At least organizationally structured
domains make the addresses of electronically "near" machines similar,
reducing the address -> routing burden for small machines.  Perhaps
someday there will be a strongly coupled network which will make
geographical naming practical.

	My personal "flame" is that (at least as of RFC819), it does
not seem to be possible to create sub-domains which are largely
independant of their surrounding domains.  The requirement that local
host and sub-domain names must be disjoint from the local host and
sub-domain names of all "ancestor" domains is only enforcable if coupled
with strong policing of name allocation.  Relaxing this so that local
names need only be disjoint from the names of its "ancestor" domains,
and not their children, would make name allocation much simpler, and
would only make outgoing addresses one domain longer.  That is, instead
of omitting the entire common portion of source and domain addresses,
the sender would omit all but the least most encompassing domain name.

	This would also make it easier for small, local domains to
get access to the world.  All they need is for a larger domain to
"sponsor" them, and route all mail to one or two gateways known to
the sponsoring network.  Routing within the smaller domain need only
be a concern of the gateways.  Let's here it for the small guy!

	Am I flaming to no end?  Has this already be suggested?  Please
let me know.
--
jonah	(Jeff Lee @ Dept. of Comp. Sci., The University of Western Ontario)
UUCP:   ...!decvax!{utzoo|watmath}!deepthot!jonah

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/10/85)

>The telephone co. uses a single-level hierarchy (area code), as
>do the airlines.  The post office uses both single (zip) and
>double (city,state).

While I agree with everything you said, the above statements are not correct.
The zip code is a geographical hierarchy such as you are proposing:

	National Area
	|   --post office or delivery area
	|   |   --segment
	|   V   V
	V  --   --
	32811-7307
	___   --
	 ^    ^
	 |    |
	 |    --Sector
	 --Sectional center (SCF) or large city

I.e., moving from left to right identifies the geographical location more
and more exactly.  The telephone numbers also have more levels than you
listed; consider the country code, area code, and exchange, each of which
identifies a geographical area.
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	    "Erny vfgf qba'g hfr Xbqnpuebzr."

joe@fluke.UUCP (Joe Kelsey) (06/13/85)

Joel -

You missed the most important idea behind the domain naming scheme.
That is, the major purpose of domain names is to (almost) completely
decouple the hostname from the transport mechanism.  The motivation
is mainly for mail, but it also extends to many other facilities when
you are talking about a fully connected Internet.  The current ARPA
Internet consists of the main backbone ARPA/MIL network of IMPs with
many local area networks directly or indirectly connected to ARPA/MIL
hosts.  In this environment, addressing a given host on a given connected
subnetwork either requires HUGE host tables (in order to maintain the flat
name space) or a change in the address/naming scheme.  The actual address
mechanism is sufficiently robust (Class A, B, and C netowrks), so the
naming scheme needs to be changed.  Basically, they are giving up a flat
name space, but maintaining what looks like HUGE local name tables through
(hopefully) user-transparent use of name servers/resolvers.  In order
to really understand the use of name servers/resolvers, I recommend that
you get a copy of RFC 882 and 883 (FTP from SRI-NIC) and study them n
conjunction with RFC920.

The exact same arguments about giving up flat name space to save on
routing table sizes applies almost directly to UUCP connections as they
exist today.  What we propose with whatever domain scheme come out is
to decouple the UUCP address (the current hostname) from the actual
site name.  This may seem like a difficult concept to grasp, but many
hosts already have to deal with having a hostname which is different from
their UUCP address.  After all, the physical address used to route in
UUCP bang paths is restricted to 6 globally unique characters, single
case, although special characters are technically allowed.  This is
almost completely user-unfriendly and non-intuitive when you consider the
number of hosts that are reachable via UUCP today.

I think that is important that anyone who is tempted to jump into the
domain discussion consider that what we really want is a way to name
hosts *independent* of their physical location or physical network
address, since both of these are volitile.  What we need is a user-intuitive
way of finding out host names, then a set up protocols to implement some
sort of limited distributed name server/resolver on the UUCP transport
mechanism.  This is possible, but an important step to take is to disconnect
your idea of hostname from physically restricting ideas, like geographic or
network addresses.

/Joe

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (06/15/85)

In article <2323@icarus.fluke.UUCP> joe@fluke.UUCP (Joe Kelsey) writes:

> I think that is important that anyone who is tempted to jump into the
> domain discussion consider that what we really want is a way to name
> hosts *independent* of their physical location or physical network
> address, since both of these are volitile.  What we need is a user-intuitive
> way of finding out host names, then a set up protocols to implement some
> sort of limited distributed name server/resolver on the UUCP transport
> mechanism.  This is possible, but an important step to take is to disconnect
> your idea of hostname from physically restricting ideas, like geographic or
> network addresses.
>
> /Joe

Independent of "physical network address", yes, of course, but I don't
think that geographic reference in some instances is any more
restricting than organizational domains. There are many UUCP sites
that decide who to call (and how often) on the basis of COST. The
ARPAnet has no such factor involved in its routing. Example: should
a University in Germany be in the same domain as UC Berkeley because
it is a University? ARPA says yes. UUCP should say no. Geography is
counter-intuitive in the ARPA world. Not always in the UUCP world.

True enough, the physical network address can be very volitile, but
the geographic location is not. Machines don't move about in space
(see "inertia" for similar examples). Likewise, Northern California
isn't on its way anywhere in a hurry (don't tell that to seismologists ;~> )

/jordan
-------
ARPA:	jordan@ucb-vax.BERKELEY.EDU
UUCP:	jordan@ucbvax.UUCP

> Now what do these all have in common?  The last four machines are each linked
> together directly via tcp/ip or uucp; the first 4 are located within
> a 10 mile radius of my office in San Diego.  But, under the
> proposed scheme, what do they have to do with each other?  Not much.

Just how much do "amd!pesnta!lsuc" and "utzoo" have to do with each other?
Yet these two machines are within a couple of miles of each other, and
call each other on demand plus polling.  For that matter, "utcsri" and
"utastro" are 2000 miles apart (U of Toronto vs. U of Texas).  Names and
routes are already very different animals.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology