[net.mail.headers] Why "From cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris" isn't stupid

chris@cbosgd.UUCP (Christopher Seiwald) (06/03/85)

The return address "cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris" satisfies two needs:

1) It incorporates the sender's full domain-style address
(chris@cbsogd.ATT.UUCP).  So what?

	a: you may need it to reply reply from another host, where
	"x!y!z!cbosgd!chris" doesn't work and "chris@cbosgd.ATT.UUCP"
	does (if you buy domains).

	b: cbosgd, the last UUCP hop, will need it if the mail orginated
	off of UUCP.  Think of "seismo!ucbcad.BERKELEY.ARPA!bob".

2) It insulates "chris@cbosgd.ATT.UUCP" from hostile hosts by disguising
it as "cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris".  Only hosts that can handle these
addresses generate them, so other hosts needn't worry about them.

----

cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris is ugly, not stupid or wrong.  If anyone has
pretty ideas, I'd like to hear them.  Thank You.

Christopher Seiwald
chris@cbosgd.ATT.UUCP

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (06/03/85)

cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris is ugly, stupid, and wrong.

it's ugly.  res ipso loquitor.

it's stupid.  if you want to use a domain address, put it in the
"From:" line, where arpa-style headers belong.  the "From " line
contains the uucp address of the sender; changing it disrupts
uucp mail service.  furthermore, it is patently stupid to equate
a domain with a transport medium.  get with the program, brutha.

it's wrong.  neither ATT nor UUCP is a domain.  i suspect ATT
will someday be a domain, subordinate to COM, not UUCP.  UUCP
is not a domain, and it never will be.  ask your NIC.

the whole point of dotted addresses in uucp style "From " lines
is to obviate mixed associativity in routing operators, a
problem that arises when mail crosses a gateway between less-
than-compatible mail universes, e.g., uucp <--> arpa.

if a host has trouble with x!y!z!cbosgd!chris, how does
x!y!z!cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris help?  why are you trashing
perfectly valid, unambiguous addresses?  and why are you going
to such great effort to help cbosgd find itself?  is it lost?

cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris does more than simply disguise
chris@cbosgd.ATT.UUCP:  it disguises the uucp path traversed by
the message.

seismo!ucbcad.BERKELEY.ARPA!bob is ugly, and i would argue that
it's stupid (use seismo!ucbcad!bob -- it's simple, consistent,
and it works), and it will be wrong very soon (july 15?  sure
...), but at least it attempts to address a substantive issue,
not one made of whole cloth.

	pep/honey

hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) (06/06/85)

Peter, this is the address vs. routing issue again.  I suspect we might
both agree that pure bang routes are unambiguous, at least with respect
to syntactic parsing precedence.  The use of domain names in bang paths
also provides an advantage with respect to the syntactic determination
of unambiguous routes in an environment in which there are duplicate
host names.  This ambiguity can be resolved semantically with an edge
database, or syntactically with domain names.  You like edge databases
and semantic disambiguation.  I like domain names.

I am not aware of any sites which cannot handle the cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!...
stuff.

Of course, one of the main problems with mail in general is the lack of
a decent user interface.  Some deficiencies in the user interface are simply
coming to the surface in the issue of addresses vs. routes.
--
Hokey           ..ihnp4!plus5!hokey
		  314-725-9492

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (06/06/85)

In article <515@down.FUN>, honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) writes:

> cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris is ugly, stupid, and wrong.
> it's stupid.  if you want to use a domain address, put it in the
> "From:" line, where arpa-style headers belong.  the "From " line
> contains the uucp address of the sender; changing it disrupts
> uucp mail service.

Well, probably nothing in the above (see Subject) line will disrupt
uucp mail service.  The real problem with the example is that cbosgd
appears in two places.  Let us pretend that the address looked like
cbosgd!atthost123.ATT.UUCP!someone.  Now it isn't as bad.

Still ugly?  Sure.  But what does this say.  I have something for a
system (atthost123 is its name) in "domain" ATT.UUCP.  Well, why not
just say cbosgd!atthost123!someone?  Because you are making
assumptions about the transport mechanism in the latter.  In the case
of cbosgd!atthost123.ATT.UUCP!someone, a mailer said "I have something
for a host in 'domain' [I know!  More in a bit...] ATT.UUCP.  I know
that cbosgd is the 'closest' host which handles ATT.UUCP so I'll send
it to them."

> it's wrong.  neither ATT nor UUCP is a domain.  i suspect ATT
> will someday be a domain, subordinate to COM, not UUCP.  UUCP
> is not a domain, and it never will be.  ask your NIC.

UUCP isn't a real live network either, is it?  But it is useful to
treat it as such a times, right?  The idea of domains in the UUCP
world to break down that world into managable parts doesn't have to
strictly line up with the ARPA Internet Domain scheme, and I am not
sure that it should. (Needless to say it can't.) (And anyone whose
domain-base address is u@h.FUN is suspect anyway.... Kidding!  Only
kidding! See? :-) )

> seismo!ucbcad.BERKELEY.ARPA!bob is ugly, and i would argue that
> it's stupid

Don't sugar coat it.  Speak your mind :-).  Yes, but Ugly UUCP lines
will be with us as long us people have systems which can only use
the From_ line.

One last example.  If the above example had been a From_ line looking
like "decuac!hostx.ATT.UUCP!user" the mail would get through.  But
this is not the same as "decuac!hostx!user" since decuac does not talk
to "hostx." But we do know what to do with mail for hosts in "domain"
ATT.UUCP.  Why should a neighbor of ours know the full path to every
site in the world when they can pass it off to a "smarter" neighbor?

Ugly lines?  Sure.  Don't look at them.  They get the job done and can
allow hosts to handle mail they could not previously handle.
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (06/08/85)

> From: hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey)

> I am not aware of any sites which cannot handle the cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!...
> stuff.

I don't think what we're arguing here is the unacceptability of
cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP by other sites, but the redundancy of the cbosgd.  Reply-
ing to a message which has the header

>From cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris remote from cbosgd

will cause the above to happen, which is handleable, but an eyesore as well.

I did some checking into mail.c (Sys V) and picked out what is supposed to go
into the From (not From:) line of a mail message.

From <my_name> <date> remote from <thissys>

where my_name is obtained from the user's LOGNAME, or the password file if
LOGNAME isn't set, and thissys is obtained from a uname(2) call.

Now in 4.2, I imagine these fields are obtained by doing similar things (uname
replaced by a whoami or something similar) but a name like cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris
was clearly not obtained by either of the means of obtaining my_name.

Now I know that there are no rules as far as how the syntax of UUCP addresses
should be, but perhaps we should at least stick to existing standards -- those
that have already been set in software.  Otherwise, poor dumb mailers will
generate bad addresses unknowingly, and poor users who don't know any better
will panic when they can't reply to messages.
--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes we wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo
gregbo%houxm.uucp@harvard.arpa

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (06/11/85)

In article <1269@houxm.UUCP> gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>> From: hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey)
>
>> I am not aware of any sites which cannot handle the cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!...
>> stuff.
>
>I don't think what we're arguing here is the unacceptability of
>cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP by other sites, but the redundancy of the cbosgd.  Reply-
>ing to a message which has the header
>
>>From cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris remote from cbosgd
>
>will cause the above to happen, which is handleable, but an eyesore as well.
>
>I did some checking into mail.c (Sys V) and picked out what is supposed to go
>into the From (not From:) line of a mail message.
>
>From <my_name> <date> remote from <thissys>

That mailer was written in the old days of a small network.  One where
it was possible to know (without referring to any tables) the complete
connectivity of the network.  That's not possible anymore.

We need to have mailers which will route mail around without people
having to know complete paths.  Paths change.  Are hard to discover.
Sometimes are hidden.  Might be broken due to hardware failures.
A lot of things.  But if you do something like the domain style addressing
then there's a whole host of improvements that can be made.

Now.  I agree that cbosgd!cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!chris has redundant information.
But I send mail to cbosgd (and recieve mail and reply to it) all the time.
A month or two ago (when Mark installed his fancy sendmail.cf) I was
having trouble replying to his messages because my sendmail.cf isn't
smart enough to parse a two domain address (cbosgd.ATT.UUCP).  It'd
look up "cbosgd.ATT" as a system name.  And I'd get mail back from
the routing process that it couldn't find cbosgd.ATT.  Now I can respond
to him because he's got that cbosgd in the front.

Basically it put off some hacking I'd have to do to Big Mail.

Redundancy is sometimes usefull.  Right?

>Now I know that there are no rules as far as how the syntax of UUCP addresses
>should be, but perhaps we should at least stick to existing standards -- those
>that have already been set in software.  Otherwise, poor dumb mailers will
>generate bad addresses unknowingly, and poor users who don't know any better
>will panic when they can't reply to messages.

If we keep using "poor dumb mailers" that's all we'll ever have.
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (06/12/85)

> We need to have mailers which will route mail around without people
> having to know complete paths.  Paths change.  Are hard to discover.
> Sometimes are hidden.  Might be broken due to hardware failures.
> A lot of things.  But if you do something like the domain style addressing
> then there's a whole host of improvements that can be made.

I keep seeing statements like this.  Are we saying that using domains to
qualify site names is going to help this problem, or just that automatically
generating the routing without the user having to specify it is going to
do this?
--
Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	   "Gnyx gb gur fhayvtug, pnyyre..."

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (06/13/85)

In article <1055@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:

>> We need to have mailers which will route mail around without people
>> having to know complete paths.  Paths change.  Are hard to discover.
>> Sometimes are hidden.  Might be broken due to hardware failures.
>> A lot of things.  But if you do something like the domain style addressing
>> then there's a whole host of improvements that can be made.
>
> I keep seeing statements like this.  Are we saying that using domains to
> qualify site names is going to help this problem, or just that automatically
> generating the routing without the user having to specify it is going to
> do this?
>--
>Full-Name:  J. Eric Roskos

Domains will localize the problems of knowing exactly how to get from a
to z via b,c,d... in advance. Essentially it will allow sites to be
"local_experts" who can change actual routing to "local_sites" or to
<--> from the next domain, but joe_blow@a doesn't have to know the
entire topology of the net to get his message to jane_snow@z. Certainly
nothing can help the problem of sites going down or changing who they
trust enough to call, but joe just wants to put his mail in a mail box
and have jane get it sometime soon.

Hopefully the domains will be flexible enough so that changes in the
local routing won't be disasterous to performance.

routing != addressing (at least with domains). UUCP is too big for that
anymore. users should not have to be concerned about local site
politics that govern routing. Also, it becomes the responsibility of
each individual host administrator to make sure that the routing it
does is as efficient as possible. Those decisions can only be made by
someone who knows what's going on at his site. Not by poor joe who
doesn't even know what ihnp4 *stands* for ;~)

Enough discussion. When are we going to see some *action* ??!

/jordan
-------
ARPA:	jordan@ucb-vax.BERKELEY.EDU
UUCP:	jordan@ucbvax.UUCP

hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) (06/20/85)

The primary issue is sending mail.  It is desireable to minimize typing.
It is desireable to unambiguously specify the *address* of the recipient.

If cbosgd is sending mail to a "dumb" site, sufficient *routing* information
must be added to permit replies to be delivered (via dumb mailers).  As
more and more machines hit the net, we have a problem with name collisions.
One solution to this problem is domains.  The domain form is "rooted",
which makes it possible to have duplicate machine names without fear of
causing mailers to choke.  The bang-format names can only be used to provide
duplicate names under specific semantic circumstances.  The domain scheme
provides these conditions syntactically.

It just so happens that the domain name of cbosgd happens to be
cbosgd.att.uucp.  People can look at this, and "know" that site names exist
below the att.uucp, but this is a *semantic* decision!  The initial cbosgd!
gets prepended specifically to provide backward-compatability with dumb
mailers.

If your mailer does not need this information, there are two solutions: tell
cbosgd not to automatically do this for you, or tell your sendmail to
strip it off.  Both capabilities are useful.

In either of the latter two cases, make sure your mailer really is smart
enough to handle the consequences!
--
Hokey           ..ihnp4!plus5!hokey
		  314-725-9492