[net.mail.headers] Subject: Ambiguity with the REPLY-TO field

Jacob_Palme_QZ%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (07/13/85)

RFC822 says that the REPLY-TO field can be used in three different
ways:
(a) Author wants his return mail to some other mailbox somewhere
(b) Author may want additional people to get replies
(c) Replies should be sent to a distribution list

The problem with this is that many mail systems have two commands
for writing replies. The name of these commands are different
in different mail systems, I will here call them "personal reply"
and "group reply". A "personal reply" is only sent to the author
of a message, a "group reply" is sent to a group of people, usually
all the recipients of the commented message.

Now, the first of the three uses of the REPLY-TO field given
above corresponds to "personal reply" while the other two corresponds
to "group reply". Thus, a mail system implementing both the "personal
reply" and the "group reply" command will find it difficult to
know whether the reply-to field is of type (a), (b) or (c).

I have got complaints from some people that COM consistently
produces REPLY-TO fields of type (b) and (c). The complainers
have mail systems, which apparently interprets the REPLY-TO field
to always be of type (a), and thus use this in their "personal
reply" command.

However, I have strong reasons in COM for using the REPLY-TO
field in the (b) and (c) sense. The reason for this is that I
want to distinguish between the case when the author is a member
of a conference to which the message is sent and not. When the
author is a member of such a conference, replies should NOT be
sent personally to the author, but rather to the conference.
But if the author is not a member of the conference, replies
should be sent both to the author and the conference. (The same
principle, of course, would apply to mailing lists.) COM indicates
this by including the author in the REPLY-TO field if he is not
a member of any conference also receiving the message, but otherwise
not including the author in the REPLY-TO field.

Is this wrong?

wales@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA (Rich Wales) (07/13/85)

Jacob --

I believe that the three "typical uses" of REPLY-TO spelled out in
RFC822 (Section 4.4.3, page 22) are intended as three different motiva-
tions for using the feature -- NOT three different possible semantics.

My understanding of the semantics of the REPLY-TO field is that, if it
is present, it is to be used as a substitute for the FROM field when
composing replies to the message.  That is, if a REPLY-TO field exists
in a header, an automatic "reply" operation should ignore the FROM field
completely, under all circumstances, and use the REPLY-TO data instead.

If the sender of the message needs to use a REPLY-TO field, but also
wants to be one of the recipients of any reply, he must include his own
address in the REPLY-TO field along with the addresses of the other
intended recipients.

I am not 100% sure I understood your description of the criteria used by
COM in deciding whether to include the sender in the REPLY-TO field, so
I am not sure whether COM uses REPLY-TO correctly or not.  If you would
like to try again to explain what COM does with REPLY-TO, I will gladly
try to help you figure out whether its use of REPLY-TO follows the
RFC822 semantics, and if it doesn't, whether there is some alternative
approach that would do what you want.

-- Rich

don.provan@CMU-CS-A.ARPA (07/13/85)

One problem here is that there are really three types of replies:
the personal and group replies you mentioned, and then a third one
that might be called a message directed reply or a default reply or a
normal reply.  The first sends the reply to the person who sent the
message, so I'd be tempted to use the From: field for that, although
I believe the From: field need not be legal if there's a Reply-to:
field.  The second sends the reply to everyone who saw the original
message.  The third sends the reply to anyone the sender thought
should see a reply.  The Reply-To: field was provided for this use.

So my feeling is that the people with the "personal reply" command
are trying to do something that isn't supported by the protocol.  If
it's supported at all, they should be replying to the From:  field,
not the Reply-To: field.

stef@uci-icsa.ARPA (Einar Stefferud) (07/15/85)

Rich Wales has it right!

REPLY-TO is a replacement for FROM (and SENDER), if REPLY-TO exists,
and then "personal reply" should use whatever is in REPLY-TO "as
requested by the originator", no matter what REPLY-TO contains.

Jacob's use to direct replies to whomever he (as the conference chair)
wants replies to go to is technically correct, though perhaps he may be
overusing it.  But this is a social question of good chairmanship.

I would tend to be less demanding of recipients who might very well
want to make personal replies, and find themselves either thwarted, or
bothered by the need to manually edit the address fields of a reply to
achieve their desires.  However, at times I like to force replies to a
whole group by putting the groupname in a REPLY-TO field.

I think it is customary in the Internet for recipients who want to
reply to all addressees to not use the "personal reply" form of the
reply command, and thus they will reply to the whole collection of
REPLY-TO/FROM/SENDER, TO, and CC addressees.  However, I know a number
people who frustrate me continually by (unconciously?) omitting other
addreessees, which forces me to manually relay to them when I am trying
to promote a group discussion.  I wish they would cooperate more.

In a way, Jacob's use suggests that he may not trust recipients to use
the "group reply" when they should.  If a Conference Chair does not
trust recipients, then it may be correct to force the issue on them.
If the Chair does trust them, then they should really be trusted, by
not forcing the issue with such intractable REPLY-TO fields.

Please do not take these comments as personally directed.  As I see it,
we are caught among varying semantic interpretations and social
customs, and it will take us a while to get things sorted out.

Jacob is trying to cope with a blend of Structured Conference services
and Unstructured Internet Mail services to conduct conferences.  I
don't know anyone else who is even trying this, so I am interested in
helping Jacob to understand the Internet side of things (even if I have
to shout from time).  We really do need to be able to accomodate COM
type User Agents in our growing Mail Internet.  The trick is to get
them to behave in concert with other practices in other contexts.

Peace - Stef

Jacob_Palme_QZ%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (07/15/85)

> FROM: Rich Wales <wales@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>

> My understanding of the semantics of the REPLY-TO field is that, if it
> is present, it is to be used as a substitute for the FROM field when
> composing replies to the message.

A message system which has two reply commands, called "personal
reply" and "group reply", would for a message without any REPLY-TO
field use the "FROM" field when the "personal reply" is used, and
would perhaps combine the "FROM", "TO", "CC" and "SENDER" fields
when the "group reply" command is used.

Thus if, as you say, the "REPLY-TO" field is to be used as a
replacement for the "FROM" field, this seems to indicate that
maybe the "REPLY-TO" field is mostly to be used for "personal
reply" commands.

However, the text in RFC822, which says that "REPLY-TO" can be
used when you want answers to be sent to a group, seems to
indicate that the "REPLY-TO" field is to be used also for "group
reply" uses.

> FROM: Rich Wales <wales@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>

> I am not 100% sure I understood your description of the criteria used by
> COM in deciding whether to include the sender in the REPLY-TO field.

three members:
- AAA@BBB
- CCC@DDD
- EEE@FFF

Suppose a message written by GGG@HHH, who is not a member of the
list, is sent to this mailing list. Then I would make the
following REPLY-TO clause:
REPLY-TO: III@JJJ, GGG@HHH
This would ensure that GGG@HHH would get the replies, even though
GGG@HHH is not a member of the list.

If however, AAA@BBB sends a message to the list, I would create
the following REPLY-TO clause:
REPLY-TO: III@JJJ
AAA@BBB would *not* be included in the REPLY-TO clause, since
message via the list. If in this case AAA@BBB was included in the
REPLY-TO clause, AAA@BBB might get two copies of the replies, one
directly and one via the list (an intelligent system might be able
to merge the two copies before displaying them to the user, but
still the two copies would increase transmission cost and would
confuse COM, since COM would not know whether to regard it as a
personal message or a mailing list message - COM allows users to
give different priority to incoming messages belonging to
different mailing lists.

wales@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA (Rich Wales) (07/15/85)

Jacob --

I thought of another way of describing the RFC822 semantics of REPLY-TO
last night, after I sent my reply to your original message.  It may seem
a bit backwards at first, but I think it makes the situation somewhat
clearer than the traditional perspective.

(1) Think of *every* message as *always* having a REPLY-TO field -- at
    least conceptually.

    Consider that RFC822 has provided a short-cut in the interests of
    brevity and non-redundancy in message headers.  Namely, if the
    "Reply-to:" header line contents are identical to the "From:" line
    contents, then the "Reply-to:" line can be (and probably will be)
    omitted from the header when the message is sent.  The receiving
    end, on finding that a message has no "Reply-to:" line in its
    header, will implicitly create a REPLY-TO field by copying the FROM
    field.

    If you assume in this way that *all* messages have REPLY-TO fields,
    the rules for constructing the recipient lists for replies suddenly
    become much simpler and more straightforward.

(2) Automatic replies *always* go to the addresses in the REPLY-TO field
    (which, by the above assumption, always exists in every message).

    The FROM field is *never* considered when addressing a reply.  To be
    sure, the REPLY-TO field may have been implicitly derived from the
    FROM field when the message was originally read and the header was
    parsed -- but once this operation has been done, we simply concen-
    trate on the fact that the message has a REPLY-TO field, forgetting
    completely about where it came from.

(3) You can then distinguish, if you wish to, between "personal" and
    "group" replies in the following way:

    (a) "Personal" replies would go only to the address(es) in the
	REPLY-TO field.

    (b) "Group" replies would go to the address(es) in the REPLY-TO, TO,
	and CC fields.

	It is debatable, by the way, whether a "group" reply should also
	go to the SENDER address(es); Section 4.4.4 (page 22) of RFC822
	states that the SENDER field should never be used automatically
	when replying to a message.  I would suggest that the SENDER
	field be included in the address list of a "group" reply only
	through invocation of a non-default option, if indeed at all.

You expressed some confusion/concern over whether RFC822's semantics of
the REPLY-TO field envision the use of this field in "personal" replies
or in "group" replies.  I think what happened was that RFC822 assumed
that the message *author* -- *not* the recipient -- would make the deci-
sion as to who would receive replies.

At the time (and probably even now), most people were accustomed to mail
systems where the only kind of reply was what you term a "personal"
reply (i.e., to the author of the message and no one else).  The REPLY-
TO field was apparently envisioned as a way to allow the message sender
to specify a wider audience for any replies to his message, without
having to assume that the person at the other end had a mail system
capable of automatically constructing a "group" reply (since most people
didn't have such mail systems anyway).

Hence, RFC822 does not really seem to provide for the kind of distinc-
tion between "personal" and "group" replies which you would like to
make.  Clearly, the issues involved were not fully appreciated, and had
not been thoroughly thought out, when the standard was written.  My
making this observation is not so much an indictment of the people
responsible for RFC822 (who, I think, did a very good job considering
the constraints they were working under) as it is a realization that
our understanding of the possibilities of electronic mail has kept on
expanding.

I think this is a good occasion to renew my suggestion that some person
or group should investigate issues such as these, and make sure that the
various kinds of recipient lists (personal replies, group replies, con-
ferences, etc.) can be adequately represented in X.400 or other appro-
priate international standards.

--
Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA

Jacob_Palme_QZ%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (07/17/85)

The solution proposed by kre@ucb-vax.arpa is neat, but I am not
sure that it will work. Many mailing lists distribute to sub-
mailing-lists in many stages, and it will be difficult to arrange
for the personal copy and the list copy to follow the same path
through the hosts with the sub-lists.

Another problem is that users may not always, generally, want
their personal copies to be discarded if the message will reach
them via a bulletin-board.

In COM, where all mailing list messages are read via computer
conferences, we have found it very useful to have a facility
to send a message in exceptional cases both to the conference
and at the same time to a personal mailbox of a member of that
conference. (COM will then normally only show him the message
in his mailbox, not in the conference.) The reason for this is
that he may delay reading the conference if he has much to do,
and our users usually read their personal mailboxes first, so
this is a way of giving priority to certain conference messages
to certain members of those conferences.