[net.mail.headers] nameservers do not know about domains

wcwells%ucbopal.cc.ucb-vax.arpa@BRL.ARPA (William C. Wells) (10/11/85)

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 85 17:58:50 pdt
From: wcwells@ucbopal (William C. Wells)
To: ZELLICH@SRI-NIC.ARPA
Subject: nameservers do not know about domains

	From ZELLICH@SRI-NIC.ARPA Sat Oct  5 01:12:40 1985
	Date: Sat 5 Oct 85 00:13:07-PDT
	From: Rich Zellich <ZELLICH@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
	Subject: Re: List-of-lists distribution
	To: wcwells@BERKELEY

	Looks like I can't; SRI-NIC's mailer doesn't like most of your
	domain-style addresses, including ucbjade.Berkeley.EDU.  Do you
	have a non-domain-style address for netinfo@...?
	-Rich
	-------

For Header-People:

Ha.  So much for a domain mailing system.  What happen to the idea
that the nameserver was suppose to check the next level up in
the domain address "Berkeley.EDU" to find a nameserver for unknown
lower domain levels, eg.  if "local-address@unknown.BERKELEY.EDU"
is not known, look for "BERKELEY.EDU" which should point to a nameserver
on UCBVAX or UCBARPA. Do we have a software problem here?

I also heard rumors that SRI was not allowing both a third level
and second level domain name to be registered for a host.  This
would policy if true, distroys the concept of having distributed
domain nameservers, since there is no pointer to a remote nameserver.
Comments?

For Rich:

Try the old gateway format:
	netinfo%ucbjade@Berkeley.EDU
for the List of Lists distribution.

Bill Wells

If one is not using a name server, but rather a NIC-table lookup, one
will find `jade.berkeley.edu' but not `ucbjade.berkeley.edu'.  For
this reason I think that Berkeley should send the former string.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

Rudy.Nedved@cmu-cs-a.ARPA (10/11/85)

There seems to be some confusion. When I looked into the UCBJADE case
and talked to the UCBJADE postmaster, I found out UCB was not
interested in sending a huge list of sites to NIC.

Therefore, the domain system knows about UCBJADE but the old host
table does not. It also seems that some people don't understand how
to deal with distributed name service...SRI-NIC domain server is NOT
going to know about UCBjADE.BERKELEY.EDU...It does however know about
BERKELEY.EDU and CMU.EDU and MIT.EDU and so on.

Given my understanding of the situation, I am glad a good number of
Berkeley hosts are not in the old host table. It motivates people to
get their domain resolvers up (like me) and the rest to do some
creative hacks like local additions to their host table which will
one day blow up in their face.

Effectively both MIT with their CHAOSNET problem and Berkeley with
many hosts not listed in the table are aiding in the developement of
the domain system. Now all that has to be done is get people of the
belief system of trying to use a domain name as a routing address
straigten out...[Some people around CMU thought, well the mail goes
to the EDU mail relay which goes to the CMU mail relay which goes to
the CS mail relay for addresses like ....CS.CMU.EDU...]

Rudy Nedved
CMU Postmaster