[net.mail.headers] Columbia usage of internet domain

P85025%BARILAN.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA (Doron Shikmoni) (10/30/85)

   The following is a note I've received from the Postmaster at
Columbia University, in reply to a former discussion. The issue with
relevance to this list, is my pointing (started as a query to the
UCB gateway staff) that Columbia's CCnet nodes (CU20A-CU20B-CU20C-CU20D
and many others) have started to generate "From:" lines like:

"user@CU20A.COLUMBIA.EDU".

   The former format was:

"user@CU20A"   (that's on Bitnet; internet addressing obvious).

   Another piece of fact is that a Bitnet Mailer, wishing to send
Mail to any of these hosts, has to send it to MAILER@CUVMA which is
the CCnet gateway (regardless to the new "problem").

   And (most important): "CU20A.COLUMBIA.EDU" is NOT an Internet host.
Neither is it registered in the NIC, Nor is there a domain server for
any of those levels which can point to a direction. The only "real"
internet (registered) host  is CU20B.

   The principal issue I would like to raise: would this forum agree
that using an internet-like (...) addresses can be seen as only a way
of indicating the "administrative domain" in which a host resides ?
Should we continue to fill up our Mailers with host-specific hacks
like the one suggested ? (Note: the suggested solution is having
a table with all "CU20x.COLUMBIA.EDU"s that will change them into
CU20x only; THEN, go over a table (same ? another ?) to make sure
mail to CU20x goes actually to MAILER@CUVMA --> the gateway).
Aren't we striving towards SIMPLER, domain-driven mailing systems?

Doron