	From: Jordan Hayes <jordan@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu>
	Date: Sun, 24 Nov 85 13:04:20 PST
	Subject: Re:  CSNET ...

	Hmmm... I still don't understand why a host like buffalo.cs.net
	couldn't be something like buffalo.suny.edu and why someone like
	stony-brook couldn't provide name-service for a suny domain and include
	an MF for buffalo pointing to the csnet-relay and an MF [ ... ]

The CS.NET domain will never (and does not now) contain any hosts other than
those here at the CSNET CIC; we decided awhile ago not to try to perpetuate
the .CSNET hack (which is really what all these .UUCP and .BITNET et.al.
"domains" are) and instead offer to advertise our members with MF records as
suggested above.  We are using CS.NET now only because RELAY.CSNET.BBN.COM
lacked that instant recognizability that we now have (RELAY.CS.NET is at
least close to, and intuitively associated with, CSNET-RELAY.ARPA).

Whether buffalo.csnet becomes buffalo.suny.edu or something else similar is
pretty much up to them; however, the NIC has yet to answer our query about
whether they could accept requests for something like 100 second-level .EDU
domains.  We're even ready, in principle, to be the primary or secondary
domain server for most of our members (SUNY Stony Brook and SH.CS.NET
backing each other up is the right approach, by the way).

We're ready to do it, for the most part.  If only BIND didn't occasionally
decide that the rest of the world had gone away....

Dennis Rockwell
CSNET Technical Staff