    From :kevin%MIT-SLOAN.MIT.EDU@MIT-MC.ARPA@MIT-MC.ARPA Mon Nov 25 12:19:42 1985
    From: kevin%MIT-SLOAN.MIT.EDU@MIT-MC.ARPA
    To: kevin@harvard.ARPA
    Subject: This is a test
    Date: 25 Nov 85 12:18

    This is a brief example.

    Kevin

Any suggestions about the "right" thing to do will be greatly
appreciated.

Kevin Crowston
MIT Sloan School of Management

kevin%mit-sloan.mit.edu@mit-mc.arpa
kevin@harvard.arpa

zben@umd5.UUCP (11/26/85)

In article <48@brl-tgr.ARPA> kevin@harvard.ARPA (Kevin Crowston) writes:

>Currently I use person%localhost@arpahost in both the header and in
>the SMTP dialogue (ie. I send MAIL FROM:<person%local@arpa>).  Is this
>okay?  It seems to give slightly weird headers in the received mail; I
>get both a From: line and a From_: line, the first of which lists the
>arpa host twice (I think an example will be clearest:
>
>    From_:kevin%MIT-SLOAN.MIT.EDU@MIT-MC.ARPA@MIT-MC.ARPA Mon Nov 25 12:19:42
>    From: kevin%MIT-SLOAN.MIT.EDU@MIT-MC.ARPA

You probably do *NOT* want to put the hacked version into the SMTP dialog.
What is happening is that the ARPA host is also adding its name to the path,
so you end up with two copies.  If you just put "person@local" into the
dialog, MIT-MC.ARPA should create one of the two following forms:

     person%local@MIT-MC.ARPA
     @MIT-MC.ARPA:person@local

which is (I believe) the right thing to do.  Note also that many people use
the buzzword 'Out-Of-Band' to refer to the data in the SMTP dialog, since it
is not part of the message text (In-Band) information.

As to the headers.  If MIT-MC is "munging" headers, you do not want to put
the hack there.  This seems to be the case from the information you gave.

So you probably do not want to put the hack in at all.  If software everywhere
is working correctly, you do not need to.  Don't treat this as gospel from on
high though - experiment and use whatever seems to work correctly in all cases.

Ben Cranston
POSTMASTER@UMD2
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA