To: jacob_palme_qz@qzcom
cc: amigo_group@qzcom, header-people@ai.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Distribution lists
Phone: +44-1-387-7050 ext 226
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 86 15:52:48 +0000
From: Steve Kille <steve@UK.AC.UCL.CS>

Jacob,

One comment on you paper, and one general point:

1) your proposed approach of encoding protocol in ASCII in the
body of an IP Message seems like a bad move.   WHy not define a
new protocol over  P1 with X.409 encodings?  This would be much
more robust (particularly for error conditions), and would be
simpler to specify.  It is also architecturally more sound.

2) A mechanism to prevent loops, which requires neither
nasty additions to tracing info, nor the retention of history at
the list expansion point is simply to enforce strict hierarchy
by adminstrative procedures.  An easy way to do this would be
to assign a 'level' to any list, and to require that if any
member of a list is itself a list, then the level of that list
must be higher than the first list.   The 'level' would simply
be a property of the list in the DIrectory Service.   I cannot
see any type of useful use of lists which this mechanism would
prevent.

any thoughts?

Steve

------- End of Forwarded Message