[net.mail.headers] BITNET mail

jordan@ucb-vax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (10/30/86)

There are still a lot of people out there on the Internet trying to use
ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU as a BITNET gateway ... pretty anti-social,
if you ask me. Check your mailing lists and mailer configurations
today. Thanks.

/jordan

schoff@csv.rpi.edu (Martin Schoffstall) (10/30/86)

I don't know what INTERNET people use (we use wiscvm.wisc.edu)
but I DO see BITNET people use violet.berkeley.edu when they
want to mail to the INTERNET.  Isn't this antisocial too?

Marty

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (10/30/86)

In article <5034@brl-smoke.ARPA> jordan@ucb-vax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>There are still a lot of people out there on the Internet trying to use
>ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU as a BITNET gateway ...

For those who don't know, the bitnet gateway for the Internet is
wiscvm.wisc.edu.  This means that mail to bitnet users should be
addressed as follows:

user%bithost.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

An example:

S19984%MITVMA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Henry Mensch / <henry@athena.mit.edu> / ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

lhl@wisc-rsch.ARPA (L.H. Landweber) (11/02/86)

While it may anti-social to use bitnet/internet gateways other than wiscvm,
it certainly is rational. Each weekday we fall behind hundreds of messages
due to arpanet congestion. (We sit at one end of the most congested line
in the Arpanet.)  Most of the time these are cleared on the weekend,
but if something goes wrong at that time, large numbers of messages may
be lost (or returned to sender).

This week i will send out an announcement that at some future date
we will limit the number of copies of a single
message that wiscvm will relay. We will expect list
maintainers to contact someone on the other net to set up exploders.
We have offers from some to help and details will be forthcoming.
At present well over 50% of our traffic is due to mulitple copies
from lists on both sides. Hopefully, the above change will fix or at
least ease the current problem.

Larry Landweber

pa@BRL.ARPA> (11/04/86)

> There are still a lot of people out there on the Internet trying to use
> ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU as a BITNET gateway ... pretty anti-social,
> if you ask me. Check your mailing lists and mailer configurations
> today. Thanks.
There are lots of people that use BSMTP at UCBJADE (in BITNET) as
a gateway, too. This is a relict of the fact that you sometimes
get mail via that gate and can respond only thru that gate.
If you use direct most .EDU stuff to WISCVM, you sometimes got
non delivery reports that tell you something of unknown hosts.
I do not know whether this is still true.

Where is the "official announcement" of the WISCVM gateway?

> /jordan

netinfo%jade.Berkeley.EDU@ucb-vax.ARPA (Postmaster + BITINFO) (11/07/86)

One of the things that can be done to reduce the amount of list
mail going across the ARPANET/BITNET gateway to get the VM version
of USENET news completed and distributed throughout BITNET/EARN/NETNORTH
land.  This would allow list mail to be reduced to one message going
across the gateway. Only one message maximum needs to be sent
across the gateway for each news article. Numbers of messages going
across the gateway can be further reduced by using the batching feature
of USENET news.

Postmasters at sites running USENET news may want to take a look at list mail
addressed to their site.  Many ARPANET mailing lists are relayed into
the USENET news system, and users at USENET news sites should not need
to receive individual copies in addition to the USENET news copy.

We can help reduce much of this extra traffic by identifying the USENET
news group name of mailing lists in the INTEREST-GROUPS file(s) so
users will know where in USENET news to find there favorite mailing
list.

Bill Wells