[net.nlang] definition of misfeature

9212osd (01/26/83)

OK, I got the definition of misfeature from Paul Rubin
who has a copy of the dictionary I should have. Here
it is...
>From nuucp Tue Jan 25 13:53:16 1983
>From phr Tue Jan 25 13:49:02 1983 remote from allegra
To: houxa!9212osd
Subject: re: misfeature

The MIT Hacker's Dictionary gives the following definitions:

FEATURE n. 1. A surprising property of a program.  Occasionally docu-
   mented.  To call a property a feature sometimes means the author of
   the program did not consider the particular case, and the program
   makes an unexpected, although not strictly speaking an incorrect
   response.  See BUG.  "That's not a bug, that's a feature!"  A bug
   can be changed to a feature by documenting it.  2. A well-known and
   beloved property; a facility.  Sometimes features are planned, but
   are called crocks by others.  An approximately correct spectrum:

   (These terms are all used to describe programs or portions thereof,
   except for the first two, which are included for completeness.)
        CRASH  STOPPAGE  BUG  SCREW  LOSS  MISFEATURE
                CROCK  KLUGE  HACK  WIN  FEATURE  PERFECTION
   (The last is never actually attained.)

MISFEATURE n. A feature which eventually screws someone, possibly
   because it is not adequate for a new situation which has evolved.
   It is not the same as a bug because fixing it involves a gross
   philosophical change to the structure of the system involved.
   Often a former feature becomes a misfeature because a tradeoff was
   made whose parameters subsequently changed (possibly only in the
   judgment of the implementors).  "Well, yeah, it's kind of a
   misfeature that file names are limited to six characters, but we're
   stuck with it for now."

Is demisfeaturize in the hacker's dictionary? My most recent
assignment could be described with that word.

Orlando Sotomayor-Diaz   BTL-Holmdel houxa!9212osd

mmt (01/28/83)

OED- Misfeature: a distorted feature; a bad feature or trait.

In designing and debugging the time-sharing system for the PDP-9T,
we used ``bug'' for the things that caused problems because of coding
errors and the like. These could be fixed if found. The word for
problem-causing things embedded in the design was ``beast''. We still
use the term. For example, DEC's RSX operating system is an attempt to
program around a basic beast, whereas many of the problems in UNIX are bugs.

		Martin Taylor