[net.nlang] Pedants, Please: Re-posting

madrid@auvax (Roslyn Madrid) (08/09/83)

Newsgroups: net.nlang
Title: Pedants, Please

Although it seems to me to be a perfectly good Anglo-Saxon word,
it seems others feel it is unacceptable.  Could someone explain
what is at stake here?

                                      R.
                                      auvax!madrid

stuart@rochester.UUCP (Stuart Friedberg) (08/14/83)

While it hasn't been blessed by a long period of usage, there are two
interpretations of "repost". One would be to send again; the other would
be to send back (a la "riposte"). Both meanings are entirely consistent
with the (several) uses of the prefix "re-".

I tend to accept straightforward formulations of "new" words. Repost makes
sense to me, although I would probably use "post again".