[net.nlang] V6 "dsw

jaw@ames-lm.UUCP (James A. Woods) (04/07/84)

#	Boreese, oubay losya e bellkou!
		-- Natasha
  	(Russian for "Boris, kill moose and squirrel")

     Mind you that the U.S.S.R. has already made inroads into UNIX.
Rumor has it that the defunct dsw(1) command, an interactive file remover
now usurped by 'rm -i *', stood for

     do sweedaneeyeh

or, "goodbye."  DSW is also part of CB lingo.

	-- James A. Woods  {dual,hplabs,hao,research}!ames-lm!jaw

P.S.
     Pardon the transliterations, but the net does not pass Cyrillic well.
P.P.S.
     Bullwinkle lives!

rentsch@unc.UUCP (Tim Rentsch) (04/08/84)

I thought dsw came from delete from switch register.  Oh, well...

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (04/15/84)

>      Mind you that the U.S.S.R. has already made inroads into UNIX.
> Rumor has it that the defunct dsw(1) command, an interactive file remover
> now usurped by 'rm -i *', stood for

>      do sweedaneeyeh

> or, "goodbye."  DSW is also part of CB lingo.

Forgive my Russian, it's not been exercised for several years, but...

K sozhaljenju, sovsjem govno.  "dsw" stood for "delete from switches"; it
was a utility on the old PDP-11/20 UNIX.  One would set the directory offset
of the file to be deleted into the console switches and run the "dsw" program.
It would drop a core, which when run would delete that file.  Source of this
story: Dennis M. Ritchie.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

rick@seismo.UUCP (Rick Adams) (04/16/84)

The final answer to dsw:

From research!dmr Wed Aug 12 00:02:17 1981
Subject: dsw manual page (honest)

DSW(1)              UNIX Programmer's Manual               DSW(1)

NAME
     dsw - delete from switches

SYNOPSIS
     (put number in console switches)
     dsw
     core

DESCRIPTION
     _d_s_w reads the console switches to obtain a number _n, prints
     the name of the _n-th file in the current directory, and
     exits, leaving a core image file named _c_o_r_e. If this core
     file is executed, the file whose name was last printed is
     unlinked (see _u_n_l_i_n_k(2)).

     The command is useful for deleting files whose names are
     difficult to type.

SEE ALSO
     rm(1), unlink(2)

BUGS
     This command was written in 2 minutes to delete a particular
     file that managed to get an 0200 bit in its name.  It should
     work by printing the name of each file in a specified direc-
     tory and requesting a `y' or `n' answer.  Better, it should
     be an option of _r_m(1).

     The name is mnemonic, but likely to cause trouble in the
     future.

Printed 8/11/81            PDP-7 local                          1

grw@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Wichman) (04/16/84)

[Heilige Heilbut, Wombatmensch]

	Well, I was told that dsw stood for "department of sanitary
    works".

		    no cute signoff,
					-Glenn