[net.nlang] Any new irregular verbs?

bk@hpfcra.UUCP (05/17/84)

[                                         ]

Have there been any recently invented irregular English verbs?
(within the last fifty years or so)

Why did irregular verbs come about?  Which, if either, of these
is closer to the accepted theory: (a) they were the first
verbs developed, so people hadn't yet developed the conjugation
system, or (b) through frequency of use, shorter forms of the
words evolved to save time.

Bill Kaiser   Andy Goris

george@hp-pcd.UUCP (05/17/84)

Since any noun can be verbed, I think the indiscriminate verbing of nouns
should be considered irregular.

george at hp-pcd

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (05/22/84)

***

	Irregular verbs are fossels.  They verbs contain the
vowel gradations of Proto Indo-European.  They are not
abbrevations.  The only way that a new one could occur
is by leveling with an existing paradigm.  For instance,

	"sing"
	"sang"
	"sung"

	"bring"
	"brought"
	"brung"

Children often make this mistake.

	English only has two verb tenses, present and past.
If a new verb is introduced in English, its past tense is
formed by adding either a "t" sound or a "d" sound depending
on the the final sound of the verb stem.  For instance,
"grok" in Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land."  The past
tense is "groked".

	The intuition that irregular verbs are commonly used words
is correct.  That is why they remain irregular.  English does not
mark the distinction between subject an object on the nouns except in
the case of pronouns.   We need to say "she" in the subject position and
"her" in the object position.  "her saw she" is NOT English.  In Old
English EVERY noun was marked as subject or object.  English changed so
that this relationship was indicated by word order, but the inflections
remained on pronouns for exactly the reason that they are so commonly used.

	Suppose we say that there are n verbs in English.
For each verb we must have a present and a past.  In the worst
case there is a third ending, the preterate.  For instance:

	"eat"
	"ate"
	"eaten"

	Even in the simpler case of "bring" - "brought", we must have
two distinct words stored for each verb.  Therefore we must store
at least 2*n distinct words.  The figure is closer to 3*n.

	On the other hand, adding a single ending to indicate past
or preterate means that we will have exactly n+1 items to store.
Though such a blatant analogy to computers might be overkill,
many of us who has tried to learn vocabularies of a new language
find the idea of a single rule that would cut the number of words we
had to memorize in third so appealing that we might be tempted to call
it "simpler".   No one knows "why" language changes.
By whose standards should we judge the "simplicity" of a language.
Russian has an incredibly complex inflectional system, basically,
their language went the direction of more inflections.  There is
prefered word order in Russian, but in some cases, any word order will
suffice.  That means that if you are going to learn Russian you will have
to learn many endings that are used in many circumstances.  Many English
speakers find this difficult.  On the other hand a Russian learning English
might be frustrated because there is no indication of subject/object
relationship on the nouns, no future tense, and so on.  The "simplist"
language is the one you learned as a child.

	English is a strange and wonderful language.  Surprisingly
its syntax is closer to Chinese than it is to its Indo-European
relatives.   Many of its irregularities are historical records.
They mark the history of the people that used the language and
the marks are often records of events that happened long before
English was a gleam in Proto-Germanic's eye.

	A good introduction to the history of the English language
is Pyles': "The Origns and Development of the English Language."

				Don Steiny
				Personetics

jmrobson@watdaisy.UUCP (Mike Robson) (05/22/84)

[Please do not read this line]

	The question of whether verbs tend over time to become regular or
the opposite can presumably be answered by reference to one of the languages
for which we have written records going back far enough (e.g. Greek or
Latin/Italian).  It is apparently a very slow process since the lists of
irregular or strong verbs in modern English and German are very similar
after rather more than a millenium of separation.  I haven't got a German
dictionary or grammar handy but after racking my brain a bit the only
likely candidate that I can think of is "shit" which is regular in English
(in my dictionary at least; I had to look it up because I don't use the past
tense very often) but I think "scheissen" is strong.  Any German speakers
please confirm and comment on status in Old High German or whatever.

	On further reflection, a more interesting example might be
"scribe/schreiben".  It seems plausible at least that this word lapsed from
being irregular to being regular as a consequence of ceasing to be common
enough to be irregular, when it dropped out of being the normal word for
"write".  Alternatively perhaps the opposite happened in German?  It is
clear that we need the OED on line to find quick answers to questions like
this.
		Mike Robson  (past participle  Muck Rebson)

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (05/23/84)

> ... I haven't got a German
> dictionary or grammar handy but after racking my brain a bit the only
> likely candidate that I can think of is "shit" which is regular in English
> (in my dictionary at least; I had to look it up because I don't use the past
> tense very often) but I think "scheissen" is strong.

Is "shit" really regular?  (Don't even think it...)  In the past tense,
either "shit" or "shat" sounds ok to me, but "shitted" definately sounds
wrong.  Of course, you can always punt and say "took a shit."
--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

nather@utastro.UUCP (05/24/84)

[]
As a protest against the verb "output" I have heard the past tense
pronounced as "outpot."

--

                                       Ed Nather
                                       ihnp4!{ut-sally,kpno}!utastro!nather

trb@masscomp.UUCP (05/25/84)

> ... I haven't got a German
> dictionary or grammar handy but after racking my brain a bit the only
> likely candidate that I can think of is "shit" which is regular in English
> (in my dictionary at least; I had to look it up because I don't use the past
> tense very often) but I think "scheissen" is strong.

"Shit" might be irregular, but it certainly isn't *new*.  My dictionary
says it's pre-12th century.  I would think any asshole would know that.
(It's also the longest one syllable word in the English language.)

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) (05/25/84)

> (It's also the longest one syllable word in the English language.)

What about 'crwth'?  And 'brougham'?  They're both one syllable and longer than
'shit'.
--

		Joe Presley (ihnp4!j.presley)

marcus@pyuxt.UUCP (M. G. Hand) (05/25/84)

'crwth' can hardly be described as >english language< - it looks
suspiciously like welsh to me (although it might be too pronounceable
to be welsh). Is >brougham< a single syllable word? or simply a poly-
syllabic one ellided to single in its pronounciation?  How about
>schist< or >chintz< - there must be several others f a similar character.
			marcus hand (pyuxt!marcus)

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary Samuelson) (05/25/84)

Longest one syllyable word in the English language is sh*t???
Not even close.  Try 'stretched' for that honor.

grw@fortune.UUCP (Glenn Wichman) (05/26/84)

> "Shit" [...] is also the longest one syllable word in the English language.)
>	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274

		Did I misunderstand this?  What about
	"weight"? or "strength"?  Certainly longer words!

						-Glenn

rh@mit-eddie.UUCP (Randy Haskins) (05/26/84)

Add to that list, BLAT (past tense of BLT).

Now, BLT isn't really a word, it's a DEC-20 assembler instruction.
But, I heard a friend speaking the other day about how he had
BLAT a section of memory (it stands for something like BLock
Transfer).
--
Randwulf  (Randy Haskins);  Path= genrad!mit-eddie!rh

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (05/27/84)

> (It's also the longest one syllable word in the English language.)

Shee-yit, guys, it isn't one syllable in Texas.

--
                                 Ed Nather
                                 {allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!nather

gurr@west44.UUCP (Dave Gurr) (06/05/84)

< force of habit .. >

>	From: garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary Samuelson)
>
>	Longest one syllyable word in the English language is sh*t???
>	Not even close.  Try 'stretched' for that honor.

Gary, don't try defining what a syllable is before you can spell it - as it is,
you got both the spelling and the example wrong (as a matter of fact, you
spelled 'honour' wrong too! :-).

	Damn' Colonials!!!!		:-)

	         mcvax
                 /
      	       ukc!root44!west44!gurr
	      /  \
	vax135   hou3b
             \   /
	     akgua

	Dave Gurr, Westfield College, Univ. of London, England.