[net.nlang] 'enry 'iggins in America

das@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/11/84)

Dialect games are fun:

	Scene:  an office where I was teaching for a week

	Me:  Any messages for me?
	Receptionist:  Please?
	Me (a little louder):  Are there any messages for me?
	Receptionist:  Let's see...no.
	Me:  OK, thanks.  So how long since you left Cincinnati?
	Receptionist (dumbfounded):  How did you know I was from Cincinnati?

	[The use of "Please?" when you didn't catch the question someone asked
	 is local to the Cincinnati area.]

Another one:

	Scene:  I just handed someone a small stack of fresh IBM cards.

	She:  Thanks.  Could I get a gum band for these?
	Me:  Sure.  (I gave her a rubber band.)  So, how are things in
	     Pittsburgh?
	She (dumbfounded):  How do you know I'm from Pittsburgh?

Anybody else have any good ones?  These worked because the localisms are not
known by the speakers to be localisms -- I don't think a Bostonian who ordered
a frappe, for example, would be so surprised if someone placed him/her, because
that regionalism is fairly well known (I think).

-- David Smallberg, das@ucla-cs.ARPA, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (12/11/84)

< He mudslung at me, so I mudslung at him! >

In the Chicago area, the past participle of 'to buy' is 'boughten.'  I
didn't realize that this was a mistake until I was 38 years old.

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (12/13/84)

My sister and I spent our early childhood in Fort Worth, Texas, then moved a
relatively short distance away to a town in Oklahoma.  Our mother and father
are from Dallas, Texas, and from northern Louisiana, respectively.  Shortly
after our arrival in Stillwater, my sister and I discovered that we were the
only people in our acquaintance who pronounced certain words -- forest,
orange, porridge, and even forehead -- with an "ar" sound as in "far" rather
than an "or" sound as in "for".  Neither our parents nor any of our classmates
pronounced these words like we did.  Years later, we both moved back to Texas
-- Dallas and Austin, specifically -- and expected to find that everyone else
pronounced these words like us.  No dice.  I've since been told that this
pronunciation is peculiar to natives of Fort Worth.  Given the fluidity of the
population in this part of the country and how near Fort Worth is to Dallas, I
find this surprising.  Can anyone else corroborate it or offer an explanation?

By the way, it appears that you can tell a Houstonite from a real Texan [:-)]
because Houstonites call their home town "YOO-stun," while everyone else says
"HYOO-stun."

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (12/13/84)

New Yorkers stand on line.
Almost everyone else stands in line.

devine@asgb.UUCP (12/14/84)

  This a repetition of the regionalism discussion of a few months
ago.  What will, most likely, become THE reference volume in this area
is in the finishing stages at the Univ. of Wisconsin.  It traces the
historical development of word uses for certain items.  That is, when
is what I call a frying pan called a skillet or a spider or a ...

  A usage peculiar to Wisconsin-ites is 'bubbler'.  Its more common
name is water fountain (or drinking fountain or...).  Apparently, the
origin of 'bubbler' came from the product name for a drinking fountain
manufactured by the Kohler Company.

  BTW, isn't the use of 'America' for the United States of A. a
regionalism (big region, to be sure).

Bob Devine  Burroughs-ASG

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (12/14/84)

In article <598@asgb.UUCP> devine@asgb.UUCP (Bob Devine) writes:

>  BTW, isn't the use of 'America' for the United States of A. a
>regionalism (big region, to be sure).

Yeah - just about the whole world.

BTW, do you know about the Dialect Atlas of the U.S., edited by Hans Kurath?
You may find other books by him interesting; he is the dean of American
dialectologists.

--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (12/15/84)

>  BTW, isn't the use of 'America' for the United States of A. a
>regionalism (big region, to be sure).
>
>Bob Devine  Burroughs-ASG

Using 'America' for the USA probably isn't universal, but it's popular
throughout Western and Eastern Europe.

	sdcrdcf!alan

das@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/15/84)

Rik Smoody has reminded me that "bubbler" is Wisconsin for "drinking fountain".

I was mistaken in believing that "frappe" was known by Bostonians to be a
localism (BTW, Andy Behrens pointed out that it is used in more of New England
than just the Boston area).  I remember a conversation I overheard during the
Olympics:

	Scene:  the Baskin Robbins at the UCLA campus coffeehouse.
	Dramatis personae:  Customer, a ~25-year-old Boston area woman;
			    BR Employee, a ~20-year-old California woman.

	Cust.:  I'd like a frappe.
	BR E.:  A what?
	Cust.:  A frappe.
	BR E.:  We don't make those.
	Cust.:  You don't make frappes?
	BR E.:  I've never even heard of one.
	Cust. (to friend):  Eh, let's go get a Coke, then.

I was too amused to intercede.  There was a sign that indicated the prices for
the different sizes of shakes, and the milkshake stirring machine was visible
behind the counter.  So there exist at least two (counting her friend) New
Englanders who don't know that not everyone calls them frappes.

-- David Smallberg, das@ucla-cs.ARPA, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

werner@aecom.UUCP (12/15/84)

> Dialect games are fun:

	I'm from Philadelphia, where we call it a
		Hoagie
	Then I went to school near Boston, where it was called a
		Grinder
	Now I'm in New York, where everybody has
		Heros
	Of course along the way, I thought the generic was
		Submarines (or Subs)
	And recently I met someone from California who likes a
		Wedge.

I don't care. I still think a 'Hoagie' tastes better.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

cromwell@pur-ee.UUCP (Cromwell) (12/15/84)

Being from the southern part of Indiana (between Bloomington and the river)
I had always gone to church pitch-ins on one sunday night a month.  I thought
nothing of it until I read an article (Smithsonian magazine, I think) that
said that "pitch-in" is only used in southern Indiana.  So, does anyone
else out there recognize this term??  It means what some people call a
"put-luck dinner", I think.  A pitch-in is where everyone gets together
and brings one dish of food, and it gets put all together on one table,
which everyone then takes from, smorgasboard style.

Occaisionally I will ask someone to "reach me the x" instead of "hand me
the x" and get some strange looks, too.  But, that one is probably more
widespread.

					Bob Cromwell

liz@tove.UUCP (Liz Allen) (12/16/84)

In article <1556@sdcrdcf.UUCP> alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) writes:
>>  BTW, isn't the use of 'America' for the United States of A. a
>>regionalism (big region, to be sure).
>>
>>Bob Devine  Burroughs-ASG
>
>Using 'America' for the USA probably isn't universal, but it's popular
>throughout Western and Eastern Europe.

When I was in England, it was always "the states" -- never "America"
or "the US".  Sometimes, I hear "the states" at home, but mostly
from people who have gone overseas (I find myself using the term
sometimes).  Usually, I hear "the US" -- especially on the news.
I tend to think of "America" as what immigrants say -- my roommate
uses it and my dad does, too, at least when he is talking about
when he moved to this country from England.
--
				-Liz Allen

Univ of Maryland, College Park MD
Usenet:   ...!seismo!umcp-cs!liz
Arpanet:  liz@tove (or liz@maryland)

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you:  God
 is light; in him there is no darkness at all" -- 1 John 1:5

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (12/18/84)

> >  BTW, isn't the use of 'America' for the United States of A. a
> >regionalism (big region, to be sure).
> >
> >Bob Devine  Burroughs-ASG
>
> Using 'America' for the USA probably isn't universal, but it's popular
> throughout Western and Eastern Europe.
>
> 	sdcrdcf!alan

From personal experience, `America' is a meaningless term here in Canada;
one ALWAYS says `US' or `USA' or `The States' if that is meant, or `North
America' or `the Americas' as appropriate.

Paul Theroux writes in The Old Patagonian Express that when he was
conversing with an inhabitant of a South American country, he eventually
realized that to THAT person `America' meant SOUTH America...which makes
just as much sense, after all.

I think that when some Europeans say "America" they may mean either the USA or
North America, and they don't really care to make any distinction anyway (sigh).

Mark Brader, Toronto, Canada, North America

rcd@opus.UUCP (12/19/84)

> Occaisionally I will ask someone to "reach me the x" instead of "hand me
> the x" and get some strange looks, too.  But, that one is probably more
> widespread.

True, and it has cousins of various sorts.  It's a sort of jumbling that
gives the wrong verb with respect to the subject, object, and indirect
object of the sentence.  Another common example is "borrow me some money".
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (12/20/84)

In commenting that "America" is not used here in Canada, I should have added
that the adjective "American" IS used; as you might expect, it is the only
adjectival form of "USA" except in formal contexts.

Mark Brader

mcdonald@smu.UUCP (12/20/84)

What about Po' Boys (Texas, last generation)?

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (12/20/84)

>...`America' is a meaningless term here in Canada;
>
>...to THAT person `America' meant SOUTH America...

Now i'm curious; i guess that in S.America the common term for a citizen
of the USA is 'Yanqui.'  But what is the 'dictionary' term?

Also, what do Canadians call citizens of the USA? [no jokes, please (unless
they're good)]. The only term i've heard in English speaking countries
is 'American', and the only term i've heard in French speaking countries
is 'americain(e).' When i studied French (in Switz) i was taught that
'americain(e)' is the only proper term.

	sdcrdcf!alan

das@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/22/84)

This isn't exactly a small-region regionalism, but it makes a good story.
It was told to me by a fellow I knew as an undergrad, an American (Oops!
I mean U.S. citizen -- apologies to Canadians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, ...,
Chileans, and Argentines) who spent one of his high school years in England.

	Scene:  British classroom during an in-class composition.

	English student (whispering):  Excuse me, do you have a rubber?
	American student:  A WHAT?!
	E.S.:  A rubber.
	A.S.:  ...Oh!  I understand, sure.  (hands him an eraser)

	[After class]

	A.S.:  You know, in the U.S. a "rubber" is a condom.
	E.S.:  Oh, we call those "rubber jollies"!

-- David Smallberg, das@ucla-cs.ARPA, {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!das

tom@uwai.UUCP (12/24/84)

> In article <598@asgb.UUCP> devine@asgb.UUCP (Bob Devine) writes:
> >

> >  BTW, isn't the use of 'America' for the United States of A. a
> >regionalism (big region, to be sure).
> >
> Yeah - just about the whole world.

Au contrair!  I can give two counter-examples:

1]	In Spain, while the *correct* way to refer to US citizens is
	'estadounidenses', the more common way is 'norteamericanos';
	they do *not* use 'americano' which is applied to residents
	of both continents.  'usano' is occasionally heard in the streets.

2]	South Americans, in particular Chileans and Argentines, can grow
	quite irate to hear a USer call himself an 'American';  they consider
	themselves 'americanos' as much as we do.

--

Tom Christiansen
University of Wisconsin