[net.nlang] Esperanto and the origins of some interesting words

neal@druny.UUCP (Neal D. McBurnett) (01/03/85)

One of the exciting by-products of my interest in the international
inter-language Esperanto has been
the acquisition of a better knowledge of the background of many
English word roots.  Although there are no detailed records of
how Zamenhof (the inventor of Esperanto (NOT a committee effort,
thank goodness!)) selected each of the basic roots,
Esperanto contains roots from most Indo-European languages.
Frequently the Esperanto root seems to reflect the most common modern form of
the word.
Most of the roots I have come across have an obvious counterpart
in English.  Below I have listed some of those which WEREN'T so obvious to
me.  In some cases I have tentatively indicated some similar English words,
or a likely derivation from another language.

I would be especially interested to have people point out English
"guide words" for the ones I have listed.
I am also interested in the origins of these words (their etyma),
or what other languages they appear in.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
Also, are there any good multi-lingual dictionaries which
might be able to help me in the future?  I have already found the
American Heritage dictionary to be invaluable.  Besides having an etymon
for each word, in the back is an extensive Proto-Indo-European
vocabulary, with lots of derived words in many languages.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a linguist, nor an etymologist.  Forgive me
if I've made any howling errors!  I know that this is not a good scientific
approach to either of these fields: I'm mainly trying to gain a
practical advantage in my study of Esperanto, English, and other Indo-European
languages, so while I'm interested in learned comments, I'm not above
using coincidental similarities between words as a learning aide....

Many thanks!
-Neal McBurnett, ihnp4!druny!neal

Hint: nouns end in "o", adjectives in "a", verbs in "i", and adverbs in "e".

^geni		inconvenience
^sloso		lock				Ger schloss
^sra^ubi	screw
a^ceti		buy
afero		thing
agi		act		agree, agent
bezoni		need
bildo		picture				Ger bild
brako		arm		bracelet, brachial
bruo		noise		bruhaha?
devi		must				G dei?
diri		say		voir dire,	L dicere
doloro		pain
fari		make		fabricate?
fono		background
fermi		close
flava		yellow				L flavus
flegi		nurse
fu^si		botch				Ger verpfuschen
grasa		fat		gross
iri		go				L?
koro		heart		courage, cardiac
kruro		leg
ku^si		lie		cushy?		Hindi khush, pleasant?
kuri		run		course		L cursus; cursive, IE kers
manki		lack				Ger mangeln?
mateno		morning		matutinal 	L matuninus (Matuta, goddess of dawn
meti		put
montri		show		demonstrate 	SP monstr
mur		wall		mural
pa^so		step
paroli		speak		parole: "word of honor"
perdi		lose		perdition (loss of soul)
peza		heavy
plendi		complain	plaint, plaintiff, plague!
po^so		pocket
pravi		right
preni		take		prehensile, comprehend
provi		try
sago		arrow		Sagitarius, Sagitta, sage. IE: seek out
se^go		chair		sedan
sekvi		follow		sequel, second, sect
semajno		week				SP semana
soifi		thirst
sveni		faint
voli		will				Ger wollen
zorgi		concern				Ger sorge

Prepositions and function words:

^car		because
^ce		whether
^cirka^u	around		circa
^gis		until				Ger bis
a^u		or				L aut
ajn		whatever
almena^u	at least
amba^u		both		ambidextrous
anka^u		also
ankora^u	still
anstata^u	instead of	stand?		Ger anstatt
anta^u		before		anterior, antique, anti-
apud		beside
balda^u		soon				Ger bald
dum		during
heira^u		yesterday			L heri
hodia^u		today				Ger heute, L hodie
jam		already
kaj		and				G kaj
ke		that
kontra^u	against		contrary
krom		besides
kun		with				L cum
kvasa^u		as if				L quasi
la^u		according to
morga^u		tomorrow			Ger morgen
nek		neither				Ger nun, L nec
nun		now				IE nu
nur		only				Ger nur
ol		than				Ger als
plej		most		pleistocene
plena		full		plenty, replenish
pli		more		pliocene
plu		further		plus, plural
preska^u	almost
preter		past		preterit, preternatural
pri		about
se		if				L si
sed		but				L sed
sen		without				L sine
sur		on
tamen		nevertheless			L tamen
tro		too much
tuj		immediately

G=Greek
Ger=German
IE=Proto-Indo-European
L=Latin
SP=Spanish

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/04/85)

In article <1129@druny.UUCP> neal@druny.UUCP (Neal D. McBurnett) writes:
>I would be especially interested to have people point out English
>"guide words" for the ones I have listed.
>I am also interested in the origins of these words (their etyma),
>or what other languages they appear in.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
>Also, are there any good multi-lingual dictionaries which
>might be able to help me in the future?

	There is a multi-language dictionary available from the infamous
Publisher's Central Bureau -- I think it has 12 languages.

>^sloso		lock				Ger schloss
	German for 'key' is 'schlussel'
>a^ceti		buy
	French 'acheter' == to buy
>bezoni		need
	French 'besoin' == a need
>brako		arm		bracelet, brachial
	I think this is from Greek
>devi		must				G dei?
	French 'devoir' == a must, 'faits votre devoirs' -> do your homework
>doloro		pain
	Spanish 'dolor' == pain
>fari		make		fabricate?
	French 'faire' == to make or do, from Latin Facere
>fermi		close
	French 'fermer' == to close
>grasa		fat		gross
	French 'gros' == fat
>iri		go				L?
	Latin 'ire' == to go	(Romani ite domum!!)
>koro		heart		courage, cardiac
	Latin cor, cordis == heart.  'cardiacus' is the stomach!
	French 'coeur' == heart
>kuri		run		course		L cursus; cursive, IE kers
	French 'courir' == to run,
	Latin v. 'currere' = to run, n. cursus = a run
>manki		lack				Ger mangeln?
	French 'manquer' == to lack.  Latin 'mancus' == maimed, lame, incomplete
>meti		put
	French 'mettre' = to put
>montri		show		demonstrate 	SP monstr
	Latin 'monstro' == to show.
>mur		wall		mural
	Latin 'murus' == wall, mound, dam
>pa^so		step
	French 'pas', Latin 'passus' == a step (faux pas)
>paroli		speak		parole: "word of honor"
	French 'parler' = to speak (Mademoiselle from Armentieres, parlez vous?)
>perdi		lose		perdition (loss of soul)
	Latin 'perdire' == to destroy, ruin, waste, lose
>peza		heavy
	French 'peser' == to weigh
>preni		take		prehensile, comprehend
	French 'prendre', Latin prehendere == to take
>semajno		week				SP semana
	French 'semaine' == week
>soifi		thirst
	French 'soif' == thirst
>sveni		faint
	prob. rel. to 'swoon'.
>voli		will				Ger wollen
	French 'vouloir', Latin 'volo'

>Prepositions and function words:
>
>^car		because
	French 'car' == because, since
>apud		beside
	Latin 'apud' == among, in the mind of, at, with, in the presence of
>dum		during
	Latin 'dum' == during
>jam		already
	Latin 'jam'
>ke		that
	prob. Latin 'qui'
>nun		now				IE nu
	Latin 'nunc' == now
>plena		full		plenty, replenish
	Latin 'plena' == full (plena sunt coeli)
>preska^u	almost
	French 'presque' == almost
>sur		on
	French 'sur' == on

--
"Take this //JOB and run it!"

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (01/05/85)

> Also, are there any good multi-lingual dictionaries which
> might be able to help me in the future?

I have a paperback "The Concise Dictionary of 26 Languages"
which is quite interesting.  It is published by Signet Books
(ISBN 451-Y3368-125), compiled by Peter M. Bergman.

It has a 1000 word vocabulary, each word shown with all 26 translations.
The vocabulary is understandibly limited but covers many common
concepts.  One quickly sees the similarities of the Scandinavian
languages and the Romance languages, etc.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

"Will Mr. 'Uh, Clem' please come to the hospitality shelter in this
 area immediately?  Thank you."

tom@uwai.UUCP (01/05/85)

sharing common roots I have added what comes to mind from
my knowledge of the Romance tongues.

L=Latin
S=Spanish
F=French
I=Italian
C=Catalan

esperanto   trans   rel. english        other tongues
brako       arm     bracelet, brachial  S brazo; F,I bras
devi        must    debt                S deber; F devoir; I devore
diri        say                         L dicere; F,I dire; S decir
doloro      pain                        S dolor
fari        make                        L facere; S hacer; F faire
fono        background  foundation      S fondo; F fond
fermi       close                       F fermer
grasa       fat      foie gras          S grasa; F gras
iri     go                              S ir (inf.), F irais,etc. (conj.)
koro        heart   courage, cardiac    S corazon; F coeur; I cuore
kuri        run     course              L cursus; S correr; F courir
meti        put                         S meter; F mettre
montri      show        demonstrate     S mostrar; F montrer
mur     wall        mural               S muralla
pa^so       step                        F pas; S paso; F passo
paroli      speak   parlous             F parler; S parlar; I parlare
perdi       lose    perdition           F perdre; S perder; I perdere
peza        heavy                       S peso
po^so       pocket                      S pozo? ( == well )
preni       take                        F prendre
provi       try                         S probar
sekvi       follow  sequel, second,     S seguir; F suivre
semajno     week                        S semana; F semaine
soifi       thirst                      F soif
voli        will    volition            S voluntad; F vouloir; I volere

Prepositions and function words:

^car        because                     F car; old S car
^cirka^u    around      circa           S cerca
a^u     or              L aut           S o; F ou
almena^u    at least                    S al menos; F au moins
amba^u      both        ambidextrous    S ambos; C amb
anta^u      before      anterior,       S antes
heira^u     yesterday                   L heri; S ayer; F hier
hodia^u     today                       L hodie; S hoy
jam     already                         L iam; S ya
ke      that                            F, S, C que; I che
kontra^u    against     contrary        L, S contra
kun     with                            L cum; S con
plena       full    plenty, replenish   S pleno, lleno; F plein
plu     further     plus, plural        F plus
preska^u    almost                      F presque
se      if                              S,F,L si; I se
sen     without                         L sine; S sin; F sans
sur     on          surface             F sur
tro     too much                        F trop, I troppo
--

Tom Christiansen
University of Wisconsin

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (01/08/85)

>   I have already found the
> American Heritage dictionary to be invaluable.  Besides having an etymon
> for each word, in the back is an extensive Proto-Indo-European
> vocabulary, with lots of derived words in many languages.
CAUTION:  I have read a review of the new edition of the AH Dictionary - the
reviewer (Laurence Urdang) said that the Proto-Indoeuropean vocabulary is no
longer there (I didn't verify it).
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
Extend USENET to omicron Ceti.

nick@utai.UUCP (Nicholas Graham) (01/11/85)

> > Also, are there any good multi-lingual dictionaries which
> > might be able to help me in the future?
>
> I have a paperback "The Concise Dictionary of 26 Languages"
> which is quite interesting.  It is published by Signet Books
> (ISBN 451-Y3368-125), compiled by Peter M. Bergman.
> Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

I also have a useful multi-language dictionary, by name of
"The Insult Dictionary", by Wolfe publishing.  The front cover
bills the book as demonstrating 'How to be abusive in FIVE
languages:  English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.'
The book provides such indispensable phrases as "Stop yapping
so that I can hear the play", "The rest of my change would be
nice now plaese", "When did the waiters start their strike?",
and of course, "Yes, you deserve a tip:  the tip of my boot!"
It would appear that this is the only phrase book that should ever
be required by an American travelling in Europe :-).

						Nick Graham,
						University of Toronto
						..!{anywhere}!utcsrgv!utai!nick