[net.nlang] "Their" as a substitute for his/her

mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) (01/07/85)

   Aw, people...

There have been a couple of notes proposing or condoning "their" as
a singular possessive, to eliminate the gender inherent in "his" or "her."
I'd like to vote for the other side...

	"Their" is _plural_!

and sentences such as "everyone should sign their name" are _wrong_.

   If you don't believe that, then try using "they" instead of "he" or "she:"

	"Everyone should sit down when they arrives."

since "arrives" has a singular subject (he/she, from "everyone").

   Let's keep "they, them, their" for plurals and not corrupt them while
attempting to fix he/she!

--

					Matt Fichtenbaum
					"Our job is to rescue fires,

gary@arizona.UUCP (Gary Marc Levin) (01/08/85)

> 	"Their" is _plural_!
> and sentences such as "everyone should sign their name" are _wrong_.
>    If you don't believe that, then try using "they" instead of "he" or "she:"
> 	"Everyone should sit down when they arrives."
> since "arrives" has a singular subject (he/she, from "everyone").
> --
> 					Matt Fichtenbaum

Historically, ``they'' and ``their'' were used for universal singular
nouns.  See the OED under ``they'' definition 2 [Often used in
reference to a singular noun made universal by ``every'', ``any'',
``no'', etc. or applicable to either sex (= `he or she').]

As for agreement of number, ``you'' takes a plural verb even when it
is used in its singular sense.  [Ex: You are beating a dead horse.]

Gary Levin / Dept of CS / U of AZ / Tucson, AZ 85721 / (602) 621-4231
--
Gary Levin / Dept of CS / U of AZ / Tucson, AZ 85721 / (602) 621-4231

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (01/09/85)

> = Matt Fichtenbaum

> There have been a couple of notes proposing or condoning "their" as
> a singular possessive, to eliminate the gender inherent in "his" or "her."
> I'd like to vote for the other side...
>
> 	"Their" is _plural_!
>
> and sentences such as "everyone should sign their name" are _wrong_.

Aha!  I _knew_ someone would bite!  _You_, sir, are wrong.  There is
a long and distinguished history of using "their" preceded
SINGULAR noun.

>    If you don't believe that, then try using "they" instead of "he" or "she:"
>
> 	"Everyone should sit down when they arrives."
>
> since "arrives" has a singular subject (he/she, from "everyone").

Now that doesn't sound natural at all, does it?  No one I know would
say that.  But they WOULD say:

 	"Everyone should sit down when they arrive."

Still sound "funny" to you?  You know very well that people use "they"
like that in speech every day!

>    Let's keep "they, them, their" for plurals and not corrupt them while
> attempting to fix he/she!

You obviously missed my posting of the justification of "they" with
singular antecedents.  I can post it again or mail it to you if you
like.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (01/09/85)

> I'd like to vote for the other side...
>
> 	"Their" is _plural_!
>
> and sentences such as "everyone should sign their name" are _wrong_.
>
>    If you don't believe that, then try using "they" instead of "he" or "she:"
>
> 	"Everyone should sit down when they arrives."
>
> since "arrives" has a singular subject (he/she, from "everyone").
>
>    Let's keep "they, them, their" for plurals and not corrupt them while
> attempting to fix he/she!
>
> --
>
> 					Matt Fichtenbaum
> 					"Our job is to rescue fires,
> 					not put out your cat."

Why?  Defining "they" as *both* singular and plural solves the problem,
is in moderately common colloquial use, and isn't hard to get used to
once you start.  I haven't seen another solution that is as easy to use
or as elegant.  English is a *living* language, after all.  What's right
is what people use.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

andyr@ihuxa.UUCP (Ronald R. Anderson) (01/09/85)

> gary@arizona.UUCP (Gary Marc Levin)
> As for agreement of number, ``you'' takes a plural verb even when it
> is used in its singular sense.  [Ex: You are beating a dead horse.]

This seems to be an anomaly of the language.  Some languages (French
and Russian that I know of) have different verb forms for the singular
and plural second person. (Their second person pronouns also
differentiate singular and plural.)  Norwegian, however, uses the
same form of the verb regardless of person or number.

Back to the main topic:
  I personally find it difficult to read "s/he" (perhaps my social
conditioning?).  I do prefer consistency both in speech and writing
when referring to an individual human being (i.e. consistently
"he" or "she" or "one" or "they").  Note that I said PREFER.  I
can easily adapt.  Discussion on this topic seems to get heated at
times; please direct any flames to /dev/null.
--
-- Ronald R. Anderson
   AT&T Bell Laboratories

marcus@pyuxt.UUCP (M. G. Hand) (01/09/85)

In Message-ID: <1108@teddy.UUCP> mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) states:

> sentences such as "everyone should sign their name" are _wrong_.

yes! "everyone should sign their names... when they arrive."  :-)

Actually, although its not strictly grammatically correct to mix these
singulars and plurals, it is accepted usage and has been so by all but
pernicketty (sp?) latin masters for over a hundred years.  I think that
the sound or readiability of a sentence is important: often the ambiguities
are resolved by context and never arise.  Unless you're writing a legal
document their and they are quite acceptable ways of avoiding he/she,
and the stilted one's.

(But, anyway, wouldn't one who assumed that "he" did not include the female
also assume that "they" applied to that same group? Ie. the reader makes an
assumption early in the document about whom the document refers)

--

		Marcus Hand	{ihnp4!}pyuxt!marcus

marcus@pyuxt.UUCP (M. G. Hand) (01/09/85)

Consider such languages as french where the 2nd person singular pronouns are
considered far too personal for all but the closest of friends
and familiars.  One uses "vous" almost exclusively in preference to "tu".

While not strictly comparable to the he/she problem, it does indicate that
English is not alone in using plurals to refer to singular entities in
regular written and spoken language.
--

		Marcus Hand	{ihnp4!}pyuxt!marcus

andyr@ihuxa.UUCP (Ronald R. Anderson) (01/11/85)

> From: gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam)
> Aha!  I _knew_ someone would bite! ...
>  	"Everyone should sit down when they arrive."
> Still sound "funny" to you? ...

   Yes.  When who arrives?  Their Majesty the Monarch of England?

   While the point that "they" is a genderless substitute for "she"
   or "he" is well taken, it appears (to me at least) to open the
   door to greater ambiguity.  It is not apparent to me, based upon
   the limited context of the statement, to whom "they" refers.
  	"Our guest speakers will arrive shortly.  Everyone should
	sit down when they arrive."
		- and -
  	"Standing in this room is forbidden.  Everyone should sit
	down when they arrive."
   imply to me  a plural and a singular (respectively) reference
   by "they".  While "they" may be a valid singular-genderless
   pronoun, it retains the ability to be a plural pronoun. Clarity
   is important to understanding.
--
-- Ronald R. Anderson
   AT&T Bell Laboratories

joe@fluke.UUCP (Joe Kelsey) (01/11/85)

Did everyone miss the article <788@amdahl.UUCP>, in which gam cites the
Oxford English Dictionary as explicitly condoning the use of they, them
and their as singular generic pronouns?  His article was very well
written and I found it quit enlightening.  I plan to save it to use
whenever anyone challenges my use of they, them, or their as singualr
generics.  Also, I can't help but point this error out:
_________________________________
From: mlf@teddy.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum)
   If you don't believe that, then try using "they" instead of "he" or "she:"

	"Everyone should sit down when they arrives."

since "arrives" has a singular subject (he/she, from "everyone").
_________________________________
In this sentence, "arrive" has a plural subject, "they".  "Everyone" is
the subject of the verb "should sit".

/Joe

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (01/13/85)

>  = Ronald R. Anderson [...ihnp4!]ihuxa!andyr

> > From: gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam)
> > Aha!  I _knew_ someone would bite! ...
> >  	"Everyone should sit down when they arrive."
> > Still sound "funny" to you? ...
>
>    Yes.  When who arrives?  Their Majesty the Monarch of England?
>
>    While the point that "they" is a genderless substitute for "she"
>    or "he" is well taken, it appears (to me at least) to open the
>    door to greater ambiguity.  It is not apparent to me, based upon
>    the limited context of the statement, to whom "they" refers.
>   	"Our guest speakers will arrive shortly.  Everyone should
> 	sit down when they arrive."

>   	"Standing in this room is forbidden.  Everyone should sit
> 	down when they arrive."

>    imply to me  a plural and a singular (respectively) reference
>    by "they".  While "they" may be a valid singular-genderless
>    pronoun, it retains the ability to be a plural pronoun. Clarity
>    is important to understanding.

Your examples are not problems with "they", they are problems
of abiguity of two possibly related statements.

There are ways of removing the abiguity.  In the written form, replace
the period between the two statements with a semicolon.  This makes the
relationship between the two statements more binding.

In speech, one could replace the period with the word "and".

my rewritings:
	"Our guest speakers will arrive shortly, so please be
	seated as they arrive."

	"Standing in this room is forbidden; please be seated
	as you arrive."

(note that "you" in our language often has an abiguity as to whether
it refers to one person or many.  In the case of the above statement
it doesn't matter how "you" is interpreted).
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

sra@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Anderson) (01/14/85)

>   While the point that "they" is a genderless substitute for "she"
>   or "he" is well taken, it appears (to me at least) to open the
>   door to greater ambiguity.  It is not apparent to me, based upon
>   the limited context of the statement, to whom "they" refers.
>        "Our guest speakers will arrive shortly.  Everyone should
>        sit down when they arrive."
>                - and -
>        "Standing in this room is forbidden.  Everyone should sit
>        down when they arrive."

If the second sentence is taken out of context, there may indeed be
ambiguity, but I think that in the above two examples, it is apparent
to everyone to whom the "they" refers.  Contextual distinction of this
sort is used extensively in some languages, e.g. Spanish, where pronouns
are seldom used except when really necessary to avoid ambiguity, or to
provide emphasis.

                                Scott R. Anderson
                                ihnp4!oddjob