[net.nlang] Bubblers

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/21/85)

In article <13200001@hpfloat.UUCP> steve@hpfloat.UUCP (steve) writes:

>  >A usage peculiar to Wisconsin-ites is 'bubbler'.  Its more common
>>name is water fountain (or drinking fountain or...).
>
>My wife, who comes from Worcester, Mass., also uses 'bubbler' to refer to
>drinking fountains.  She assumed it was a regional usage of that area.

Isn't 'Bubbler' what American Standard calls it in their literature?
Certainly the McMaster-Carr Industrial supply catalog lists 'Bubblers'
with no reference to regionality.

Apparently, though, the term 'bubbler' is properly restricted to the
device the water comes out of.  Large wall- or floor-mounted units
are 'water coolers' or 'drinking fountains'.  For example, page 824 of catalog
89, "F. Stainless steel wall bracket fountain. Self closing cross handle stop.
2-stream, mound builder bubbler..."

(Bubblers built by paleolithic Amerinds?)
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900