[net.nlang] Words for love"

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Barry Gold) (01/31/85)

English-speaers used to say "I love you like a brother (sister)" to show
the love between friends vs that between sex partners.  I don't know if this
phrase is still used; I don't think I've heard it in years.   I usually
tell my friends that they're part of the family, but not that I love them.

Clssical Greek (I believe) also had two words for love:  eros and agape.
I don't know about modern Greek.

--Lee Gold

In article <1731@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Barry Gold) writes:
>Clssical Greek (I believe) also had two words for love:  eros and agape.
>I don't know about modern Greek.
>
>--Lee Gold

	Actually its three: eros, agape, and phile
(or something like that, i am uncertain about the ending)
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
 or
quad1!psivax!friesen