[net.nlang] Immolation

wdr@faron.UUCP (William D. Ricker) (01/30/85)

[Posting to both net.nlang and net.games.frp: follow-up to net.nlang
if further discussion is needed.]

Recently there has been debate in net.games.frp as to the meaning
of the word "Immolate,"  which the AmHeritage defines as

	/tr.v./ 1. To kill as a sacrifice.  2.  To destroy or renounce
	for the sake of something else.  [Latin /immolare/, to
	sacrifice, originally "to sprinkle with sacrificial meal" :
	/in-/, on + /mola/, meal. ... ] --im'mo.la'tion /n./
	--im'mo.la'tor /n./

The problem arose from usage of 'he immolates x' meaning to surround
or consume x with flames.  This usage in FRP game circles was traced to
early rules which described as immolation the ability of the mythical
balrog-demon to shroud itself in flame.  The recent debate was spurred
by applying the same name to someone causing someone to be either
consumed or surrounded by flames.

In an article in net.games.frp, sps@drusd.UUCP (ShaplandSP) writes:
>Perhaps the confusion about "immolation" stems from the mid-60's
>practice of Vietnamese monks sacrificing themselves by annointing
>themselves with petrol and then bursting into flames.
>S.P. Shapland (Amlwch, Lord of the Karpian Dragons)
>drusd!sps

This sounds likely, as I've only heard the word used for
flaming-self-sacrifice and in the above mentioned Balrog description.
I don't recall running across the word an any historical or comparitive
studies of religion.  Of course, I took up comparative religion as a
hobby after both the Vietnam War (grade-school) and FRP Gaming
(college), so the incorrect fact immolation->flames may already have
been firmly engrained in my mind.  Thus I may have read 'by flame' into
texts where they author used 'immolate' to mean generic sacrifice of
goods and cattle by unspecified means.

My question for Net.nlang is whether non-FRP net-users have been
similarly confused by the self-immolation by fire?  And can someone
check a recent, DEscriptive dictionary, such as M&W Webster's 3rd Un,
for any possible entry noting existence of such an illiterate usage as I
once used?

All follow-ups to net.nlang, please, I'm sure net.games.frp readers have
already hit the 'n/j/q' keys anyway.

--

  William Ricker
  wdr@MITRE-Bedford.ARPA					(MIL)

Opinions are my own and not necessarily anyone elses.  Likewise the "facts".

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (02/08/85)

But isn't the scene in *Gotterdammerung* where Brunnhilde rides into the
flames usually referred to as Brunnhilde's Immolation?

						Wombat
			"I am not, nor have I ever been, jan howard finder"
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat