[net.nlang] Winston Churchill

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (02/11/85)

*** REPLACE THIS MESS ***

> In article <scc.333> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

> >	The person replied "Here at Harvard, we never end
> >a sentence with a preposition."

> I think Winston Churchill said it best.  When told that you should
> not end a sentence with a preposition, he replied:
>
> 	"This is something up with which I shall not put."

NO NO NO --- Winnie actually said:

	 "This is calumny, up with which we shall not put."

Does anyone have any other memorable quotes from the foremost speaker of
English of the century?

--
Gary Benson John Fluke Mfg Co PO Box C-9090 Everett WA USA 98206 (206) 356-5367
{ allegra, microsoft, ssc-vax, telematic, tikal, uw-beaver, wavetek } fluke!inc