[net.nlang] WITTGENSTEIN Discussion #001

walt_sak@proper.UUCP (Walt Sakai) (02/15/85)

This  is  a  follow-up to the January 27th notice  regarding  the
Wittgenstein  discussion  group  (the condensed  version  appears
below in *'s).   My query prompted some interesting responses and
suggestions  for  discussion topics.     The replies  are  edited
below.    I  hope that all the "players" get to know each  other.
Thank  you  for  responding.    Look  forward  to  some  fruitful
discussions...    Everyone is invited !!!

Walt Sakai
{ucbvax,amd,zehntel,unisoft}!dual!proper!walt_sak

*  Discussion Group: LUDWIG WITTGENSTEIN  -->  net.philosophy          *
*  ----------------------------------------------------------          *
*  The  topics will involve overlapping fields such as  linguistics,   *
*  philosophy,  and mathematics,  in order to maximize the number of   *
*  participants.     However,  all  discussions  will be located  in   *
*  "net.philosophy",  which  will serve as a common meeting  ground.   *
*                                                                      *
*  I imagine that some communication will be made via "mail" between   *
*  private individuals meeting through the main line of  discussion.   *
*  Hopefully,   these   private   discussions  will  be  posted   to   *
*  net.philosophy for source of further thought by everyone else.      *

> From nsc!seismo!mcnc!ecsvax!unbent Sat Feb  2 05:13:16 1985
> --Jay Rosenberg    ...{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!unbent
> Dept. of Philosophy; University of North Carolina;
> Chapel Hill, NC  27514
>
> OK, I'm willing to play --so you'll have at least one semi-pro in
> the game.  (I've published articles on both the Tractatus and the
> Investigations  and know my way around in the rest of the  corpus
> fairly well.)    A cautionary note: Wittgenstein is a lot rougher
> going than he looks!
>
> Here  are  a couple of bibliography items,  so you can  find  out
> where I'm coming from:
>
> "Wittgenstein's   Theory  of  Language  as   Picture",   AMERICAN
> PHILOSOPHICAL QUARTERLY, V,1, January 1968, pp. 18-30.
>
> "The Concept of Linguistic Correctness",  PHILOSOPHICAL  STUDIES,
> 30, 1977, pp. 171-84.
>
> "Speaking Lions",  CANADIAN JOURNAL OF PHILOSOPHY,  VII,1,  1977,
> pp. 155-60.
>
> I  haven't  been doing too much with Wittgenstein lately,  but  I
> think I still remember enough to have an interesting chat. Either
> mail or news is OK with me. I don't mind eavesdroppers.

Jay,  I  have not yet examined the above articles,  but it  looks
like  perhaps  we  can  use  them as  a  springboard  to  develop
interesting  topics.    If the articles exit in electronic  form,
would it be possible to "mail" them to participants?

> From dual!amd!pesnta!hplabs!decvax!mcnc!duke!phs!paul
>      Paul Dolber @ DUMC (...duke!phs!paul).
>
> I'd  love  to  see  a  discussion of  Wittgenstein  on  the  net.
>  ...it  should  be noted that Barrett's "Illusion  of  Technique"
> was,  in large part,  devoted to Wittgenstein --and thus may be a
> proper subject of discussion as well. (Furthermore, it seems that
> Barrett thinks Wittgenstein --i.e., the later Wittgenstein --owed
> a great deal to Heidegger;  some discussion of Heidegger might be
> of  interest  as well if this is so,  especially as  [a]  Barrett
> thinks  Heidegger  is a genius,  and [b] Walter  Kaufmann  thinks
> Heidegger  is  a  moron.  I've thus far only tried  to  read  his
> "Introduction  to Metaphysics," and can conclude only  that  he's
> nearly impenetrable.)
>
> Consider this a weak vote in a way; I definitely will be far, far
> more an observer than a contributor. Particularly if net interest
> centers on "Tractatus" and on language.

Thanks,   Paul,  for  expressing  your  interest.  Regarding  the
incoherence of Heidegger's writing,  some say it is a function of
the original in German which is difficult to translate.   I think
Heidegger  should have known that "What we cannot speak about  we
must  pass over in silence (TRACTATUS #7)."    Indeed,  Heidegger
does  converge toward this sort of conclusion in his later  years
when   he   gets  deeply  involved  with  poetry  and   language.
Language  turns  out  to be the "house of Being"  for  the  later
Heidegger.     Many  devoted housekeepers are still  around,  and
keeping very busy.

Schopenhauer  had a very lasting effect  on  Wittgenstein.    The
"metaphysical" aspects of early Wittgenstein can be easily traced
to Schopenhauer (see the NOTEBOOKS 1914-16).

> From: ucbvax!unmvax!convex!smu!leff (Laurence Leff)
> I  am responding to the news article on Wittgenstein that  showed
> up  in  net.math.symbolic.  As the founder of the Usenet side  of
> this  (the group is gatewayed to a mailing list),  I  am  curious
> what a Wittgenstein is and what it has to do with symbolic math.

The connection to symbolic math involves the following topics and
people  historically:   foundation  of  mathematics,  logic,  set
theory,  proof theory,  recursion,  language,  semantics, syntax,
Frege,  Russell, Wittgenstein, Cantor, Hilbert, Godel,..., and so
on,...     Wittgenstein  is not a mathematician per se,  but  has
made contributions to the above via philosophy.  His influence on
Russell  was considerable in terms of his critique of the  theory
of  types  and  sense/reference issues.   There  is  considerable
evidence  that what got Wittgenstein back into  philosophy  after
the TRACTATUS period was Brouwer's lectures on the foundations of
mathematics.     Wittgenstein's  view  of mathematics as a  game,
like  chess,   is  quite  interesting.     Ultimately,   however,
Wittgenstein's   treatment  of  mathematics  is  subsumed   under
languages  in general,  since they are the final  non-arbitrarily
defined "meta-language."

> From dual!amd!pesnta!hplabs!decvax!mcnc!duke!jas
>
> Sign me up!  I haven't read "Philosophical  Investigations",  but
> hope  to  follow the discussion.  I propose that installments  be
> specially  mailed  to subscribers,  as has been  done  for  other
> "special interest groups". jas@duke

That  might be a good idea,  but I don't know how to step-up  the
subscription  mailing  process.    Would you like  to  volunteer?
Anyways, if we all keep tuned to "net.philosophy" I don't see any
major differences,  especially if the private discussions between
individuals are posted.

> From dual!cbosgd!osu-eddie.UUCP!bgsuvax!schaefer Feb 10 1985
> From: cbosgd!osu-eddie!bgsuvax!schaefer (Stephen Schaefer)
>
> I   am   currently  trying  to  get  through  Tractatus   Logico-
> Philosophicus,  translated by C.  K.  Ogden. Fascinating. Obscure
> writing  style.  (The German appears on the facing pages and  the
> translation isn't much more than an automated dictionary.)  These
> first  sections seems to be the most difficult from my occasional
> peeks  ahead,  but  then proofs are usually more  difficult  than
> conclusions,  no?  Don't get me wrong -I speak in analogy. I have
> read  up  to  4.06 three times now,  and  always  appear  to  get
> interrupted there.  I am very interested in compare/contrast with
> other thought, e.g.:
>         In the beginning was the WORD
>         And the WORD was with God
>         And the WORD was God... (Jn 1.1)
> Also,  see  my poem <198@bgsuvax.UUCP> on net.poems -"...Powerful
> the discipline of symbol..." And even (especially?) Amon Liner  -
> "...And the tiger, snowing, snowing."

For everyone's reference #4.06 says:   "A proposition can be true
or  false  only  in  virtue  of  being  a  picture  of  reality."
Stephen,  is  your point that a poetic statement is incapable  of
being  assigned  a truth value?     Since Wittgenstein could  not
give  any  examples  of what might be a  "simple  object"   (vide
TRACTATUS 2.02 ff), I suppose there is lattitude for some sort of
poetic re-interpretation of the TRACTATUS.    But that's not what
Wittgenstein had in mind, I think.

> From dual!amd!pesnta!hplabs!hao!seismo!harvard!panda!rmc
>      R Mark Chilenskas
>
> My  primary  interest  in Wittgenstein is the  interpretation  of
> rules  and  the private language argument.  This  makes  me  most
> interested in Philosophical Investigations and the Foundations of
> Mathematics.   I   am  also  quite  interested  in  Saul  Kripke,
> particularly   Naming  and  Necessity  and  his   interpretation/
> translation  of  the private language argument  in  Wittgenstein:
> Rules  and the Private Language Argument.
>
> Although  i  think these works have a lot to do with  how  humans
> handle  language,  i am not certain how useful they would be  for
> teaching computers language.  Kripke's ideas about the meaning of
> proper  names being dependent upon a kind of an  "initiation"  by
> other  people  make  sense  to me but would be hard to  do  to  a
> computer program.  So i guess for "natural language processing" i
> am more interested in the Tractatus and how its limitations would
> affect teaching a computer to "almost understand" language.

> From dual!cbosgd!ihnp4.UUCP!gargoyle!mark
> From: cbosgd!ihnp4!gargoyle!mark (Mark Turner)
>
> I'm  Mark  Turner,  Department  of  English,  U  Chicago,  60637,
> uucp  address:  .  .  .  ihnp4!gargoyle!puck!mark;  and I work in
> linguistics/philosophy/cognition.   Let me know what develops.

I  find  the  connection between  cognition  and  language,  with
computation sandwiched in between, quite fascinating.   One might
regard  language  as the concrete manifestation of  a  immaterial
process  called cognition.    But also,  it seems that  cognition
does  not  take  place without some sort of  underlying  symbolic
system,  call it language.   Clarifying these interrelationships,
we have studies in computation, formal languages, and AI systems.

The  September  1984  issue of SCIENTIFIC  AMERICAN  has  a  good
introductory  article  touching on these  subjects:     "Computer
Software for Working with Language" by Terry Winograd,  author of
LANGUAGE AS A COGNITIVE PROCESS.     It is general and accessible
enough so that it can serve for broad-based  discussions.     The
connection  with Wittgenstein might not be so  obvious,  however.
The  issues  pertaining  to linguistics I suppose can  be  better
framed with Chomsky (transformational grammar) and Searle (speech
acts).   Both have roots that are motivated by Wittgenstein.

The  key  "lies in analyzing the nature of linguistic  competence
and how that competence is related to the formal rule  structures
that   are  the  theoretical  basis  of  all  computer   software
(Winograd,  op.cit.)."     Well,  if this has nothing to do  with
Wittgenstein's PHILOSOPHICAL INVESTIGATIONS, I'll ....

One  might also take a look at:   "The meaning of a sentence in a
natural  language  is  dependent  not only on  the  form  of  the
sentence but also on the context (Winograd,  op.cit.)."   Doesn't
this  compactly  express the unity between the early LW  ("form")
and  the later LW ("context" or use)?     The problem here is  in
the  formalization  and explication of the multitude  of  factors
that constitute "context."

> From: amdahl!amd!twg!scc!steiny@scc.ARPA (Don Steiny)
> Several  months  ago,  maybe a year,  I started  posting  copious
> quotes  by Wittgenstein to try to help sort some of the  language
> mistakes  people were making.  They had very little  impact.  The
> volume of discussion created was nil. There is little interest in
> Wittgenstein.   If   people   really  understood   "Philosophical
> Investigations"  do  you  think  that  there  would  be   endless
> discussions on "the meaning of this or that?"
>
> Once I was at a seminar given by my friend, John Grinder. John is
> a  linguist that applied some of the princlples to psychotherapy.
> At that seminar,  with about 250 people in the room John asked if
> anyone had read Wittgenstein.  I was the ONLY person in the  room
> that  raised  my  hand.  These  people  were  all  professionals,
> doctors, lawyers, and psychotherapists.

Every  successful person has had failures but repeated failure is
no guarantee of eventual success.

EOT