[net.nlang] "

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (02/18/85)

--
How many times have you come across the great net misspelling
apology "(sp?)", as in Iran's "Iatola(sp?)"?  What is going
through such a writer's mind?  Does he think maybe we haven't
noticed that he doesn't know how to spell, and thus kindly points
out this fact?  Or maybe he thinks the apology makes the misspelling
go away?  Or maybe he wants to show that he cares about his spelling,
but not quite enough to do anything about it?

Look, you sniveling cowards--I don't care that you don't know
how to spell, but to flaunt your illiteracy with "(sp?)" is
really unacceptable groveling.  You have to be a masochistic wimp
to be so proud of your ignorance, yet so scared of your
audience, that you emblazon all your imagined errors for public
ridicule.  Why not take your best guess and be done with it,
ferchrissakes?  I mean, you either care about good spelling
or you don't.  If you care, you'll get it right; if you don't,
then stand up for your right to spell as you please.  Your meaning
will probably be clear enough, and nobody's going to accuse you of
doing it wrong deliberately.  And who knows--maybe you'll get lucky!

This snippet from E.B. White's reminiscing about William Strunk
in the introduction to their "Elements of Style" says it best:

    "I remember a day in class when he leaned far forward,
     in his characteristic pose--the pose of a man about
     to impart a secret--and croaked, 'If you don't know
     how to pronounce a word, say it loud!  If you don't
     know how to pronounce a word, say it loud!'  This
     comical piece of advice struck me as sound at the
     time, and I still respect it.  Why compound ignorance
     with inaudibility?  Why run and hide?"
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/21/85)

No, Ken, or Gadfly*, if I use "(sp?)" I'm preparing you for a jarring
error.  There are some words that a person can't simply look up, such as
names of people.  Things get especially difficult if the writer has only
heard them and not seen them in print.

"Gary Kasparroff(sp?)" is just a shorthand for "that name that I can't identify
but which is something like Gary Kasparroff".

Mark Brader

*If you want to hide your identity, you'll have to remove the .signature...

Oh yes, this is going to net.flame.  Okay:  you ass, why do you go around
reposting things that have already been on the net before.  You are so dumb,
I'll bet it was even you who posted it the previous time.
:-)

lazeldes@wlcrjs.UUCP (Leah A Zeldes) (02/22/85)

I agree with the orginal poster, "(sp?)" is wimpy, if only because it
draws more attention to the misspelling than just misspelling it.

It's perhaps slightly more excusable in the case of names, which you can't
look up, but otherwise, if you don't know how to spell something, you should
use a word you do know how to spell.  "I don't have a dictionary handy" or
"It's too much trouble to look it up for a short note" aren't valid excuses.

We all understand about typographical errors, especially in a medium where
it isn't convenient to check a paper copy, but sloppy spelling is...well,
sloppy.  And "(sp?)" just makes it sloppier.
--

					Leah A Zeldes
					...ihnp4!wlcrjs!lazeldes

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (02/22/85)

I consider myself a reasonably good speller.  However, sometimes I am
not quite sure that I have spelled a word correctly, it just doesn't
look right.  This can often happen with foreign words or names ("Iatola"
was used as an example in the original posting, as a misspelling of
"Ayatolla" (actually, I'm not sure if it is one "l" or two)).  In such
cases I will often use "(sp?)".

Why do I do it?  It isn't to flaunt my ignorance.  On the contrary, it
is to indicate that I know that I may be mistaken.  It is like beginning
a statement with "I'm not sure, but I think...".  Another reason that I
do this is to (hopefully) prevent people from sending replies whose only
purpose is to inform me that I made a spelling mistake; they won't
bother since it is obvious that I know I may have made a mistake.  In
some sense, I'm saying "Yes, I know how to spell, but I also know that
I'm not perfect."

Yes, I have heard of the dictionary.  However, one is not always handy
when you are trying to write a quick note.  Since I rarely misspell, I
don't think it is worth my while to go to extra effort to have one
handy.  As I said, my biggest problem is with weird names, and the
dictionary is not likely to help me when I'm trying to remember whether
it is "Teri Garr", "Terri Gar", or "Terri Garr" (luckily I DO know that
the first name ends in "i", not "y").

[Boy, will I feel like a twit if I've made a spelling mistake in this
note.]
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

chabot@amber.DEC (l s chabot) (02/22/85)

How can anyone consider herself to be a good speller if she can't spell
a title (not a name) that was in major newspapers across the country for over a
year.  Yes, I'm speaking about "ayatollah".  Get serious, folks!  And,
surprise! it's even in the Office Edition of The American Heritage Dictionary.

I can't imagine the locations from which some of us post.  I usually do such
from work during morning coffee, and at work I have available to me the above-
mentioned paperback, provided by the stock room here.  If your company or school
is not so generous, well, it's a mighty $5.  It's pretty handy for other things
than just usenet postings: it aids me in spelling program comments that others
can read and in correcting spelling in any documents I write (sure, the latter
is something I could run through a spelling checker program, but not the former
--I don't want to be told "eludom" isn't a word, I know that).  If I can't find
a word I want, I delay posting until I can go home and check out the OED or ask
a writer if I might borrow something at work.

Surely the options of obtaining a cheap reliable reference for the workplace
for quick lookups, and delaying posting until a more extensive reference book
can be used, surely these options are available to almost all of us.  What, you
say, not worth the time?  Ah, yes, well, perhaps your posting is also not worth
the time to read, if it isn't worth an effort on your part.

But the best part is, that by not including "(sp?)" in postings, you can save
five to six characters!  Less typing!  Fewer of those tricky shifted keys!  And
Who knows, an imperceptible decrease in phone costs could result.

Ah, yes, a contradiction: here I've suggested taking time to look up a word, and
know I'm suggesting saving time by not typing six characters.  Actually, I've
lied--the line about taking time was a trick with the end of encouraging some
of us to think before we post, to take that extra few moments and reflect on
wording and topic and facts.  I realize this is completely counter to the
spirit of discussions taking place in many newsgroups, but then, this IS
net.flame, yes?

About cutting down on mail pointing out spelling errors:  I've gotten four
comments on my spelling--one public posting and three letters.  I misspell words
all the time here, sometimes not even on purpose.  Besides, it always looks more
like the poster is looking for a letter correcting her (why else the question?)
(it's rhetorical?).

Okay, you still want your little "(sp?)" ?  Okay, but only if you're careful to
remind us of your other faults.  When you don't know it's really okay where to
leave the preposition at, "(gr?)" follows.  And for those other little
grammatical questions.  And how about, for those sticky issues of gender
ambiguity, "(gn?)" .  These flags could be handy for any little thing that you
really don't want to check, and don't want people telling you what's correct;
other proposals are "(bs?)" and, for those who enjoy posting articles to a
variety of inappropriate newsgroups, "(wn?)".  We can all think of other
abbreviations that would be useful.

And, keeping in the spirit and apparent intent of including "(sp?)" in a
posting, I will say
	"Laugh here"

L S Chabot
UUCP:	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot
ARPA:	...chabot%amber.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
USFail:    DEC, LMO4/H4, 150 Locke Drive, Marlborough, MA  01752

jay@cadre.UUCP (02/23/85)

>It's perhaps slightly more excusable in the case of names, which you can't
>look up, but otherwise, if you don't know how to spell something, you should
>use a word you do know how to spell.  "I don't have a dictionary handy" or
>"It's too much trouble to look it up for a short note" aren't valid excuses.

Just a comment on the above remark.  I, for one, have noticed that a large
number of misspelled words are of the ordinary, vanilla type (eg., "flys",
"recieve", "wierd", etc.), errors that are the result of years of wrong usage,
and of which the writer may not even be conscious.  Another type of
common errors that I've observed is the wrong choice of words (eg.,
"principle" for "principal", "it's" for "its", "who's" for "whose", etc.).
The dictionary may not come in useful in either case: in the former,
because the author feels comfortable with his spelling, and in the latter,
because the word of his choice anyway is correctly spelt.  Of course, I do
feel that, when in doubt, it's a good idea for the writer to spend some time
and check the spelling of the word in question.  (But how does one look up
a word in the dictionary if one doesn't know its correct spelling in the
first place?  That is something I've always wondered about, when I hear such
well-meant advice.)

Jay Ramanathan

Jay Ramanathan, jay@cadre.ARPA  Decision Systems Lab, University of Pittsburgh

"Yes, but I see that even your own words miss the mark...."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/25/85)

> Just a comment on the above remark.  I, for one, have noticed that a large
> number of misspelled words are of the ordinary, vanilla type (eg., "flys",
> "recieve", "wierd", etc.), errors that are the result of years of wrong
> usage, and of which the writer may not even be conscious.

Well then, you're not going to stick a (sp?) after it, are you?
I would comment that such people are, in my book, illiterate.

Along the same lines, I just saw a headline in the paper that
used principal when principle was obviously what was meant. So
disappointing.
--
 This is my opinion, I guess.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (03/07/85)

In article <338@cadre.ARPA> jay@cadre.ARPA (Jay Ramanathan) writes:
>.......  (But how does one look up
>a word in the dictionary if one doesn't know its correct spelling in the
>first place?  That is something I've always wondered about, when I hear such
>well-meant advice.)
>
>Jay Ramanathan
>--

how about looking up what you *think* is the spelling when you're not sure, and
if you don't find it, either you have a lousy dictionary, or you're wrong.  So,
make sure you have a *good* dictionary.  (discussion of this on net.books).

             Muffy