[net.nlang] WITTGENSTEIN Discussion #002

walt_sak@proper.UUCP (Walt Sakai) (03/09/85)

Prefixed by a ">" below are the responses to discussion #001:
(Everyone is encouraged to participate.  See "*" note at EOT.)

> From: amdahl!amd!twg!scc!steiny (Don Steiny)
> I  don't  think Winogand has much to do  with  Wittgenstein.  His
> whole thing about reference,  i.e.  a block world, is exactly the
> opposite  of what Wittgenstein proposed.  In linguistics  courses
> the pragmatic aspect of language was how it is used, the semantic
> is what it refers to.

Don,   I  assume  you  are  talking  about  Terry  Winograd.    I
certainly  agree  that  Wittgenstein had little to  do  with  the
"block   world"   model   per  se.      Winograd  is   taking   a
methodological   approach  along  the  lines  of   Wittgenstein's
philosophical  interests.    By  methodological I mean  that  the
problem  is  approached  in a way that the  component  parts  are
examined first.    In this case, the block world is taken to be a
subset  of  the natural world.    I think Winograd would  be  the
first to admit the limitations of the block world.    However, it
has  the virtue of shedding light on a easier problem  than  that
encountered in the natural world.   Scientifically, we would like
to  first  develop models of some finite aspect of a  phenomenon,
and hopefully,  by having a valid model for every finite  aspect,
we  can confidently generalize the model for the phenomenon as  a
whole.

Winograd's  block world serves only as a first step  towards  the
formalization  and  explication of the multitude of factors  that
constitute  context  or  use  (in  the  sense  of  Wittgenstein's
INVESTIGATIONS)  with respect to  language.     In  addition,  it
seems  very  evident  that  both Wittgenstein  and  Winograd  are
interested in analyzing the nature of linguistic  competence  and
how  that competence is related to the formal rule  structures in
languages.

> From: amdahl!amd!twg!scc!steiny (Don Steiny)           -continued
> The  early  Wittgenstein  and the positivists  like  Russell  and
> Carnap  proposed that since words like "justice" do not refer  to
> anything we could stop worrying about them.
>
> The  question of reference is a central issue in  both  computers
> and  linguistics.  To maintain the idea that words have reference
> people  have often invented the object that the words  refer  to.
> The  whole idea of "brain states",  i.e.  "pain is a state of the
> brain"  has  been  explored by Hiliary Putnam  and  Jerry  Fodor.
> Putnam  has a book,  I believe (it is out of print and I have  to
> check it out of the library,  I don't have it right  now),  Mind,
> Models, and Machines. In the book there is a lengthy summation of
> Wittgenstein's argument against such reference.
>
> There  is a book called "Language and Learning" which is a  round
> table discussion between Putnam,  Fodor, Gregory Bateson, Seymore
> Papert,  Noam Chomsky,  and Jean Piget about their ideas. I think
> what  falls  out of it is the idea that AI and  natural  language
> work  on  the  computer  are  not  the  same.   Natural  language
> processing is not a subset of AI, it is a different field.
>
> Since  I write programs that do natural language  processing  the
> issue  is of great interest to me.  Winogand's representation  of
> knowledge,  semantic  nets,  and  other representations of  human
> knowledged are based on the premise that words refer.  How can we
> develop  a  principled  way of writing  programs  and  organizing
> knowledge so that the words *signal*?

I would be rather inclined to say that some very crucial problems
of  AI (Artificial Intelligence) are subsets of natural  language
issues.    In  natural  languages  our utterances  are  made  and
understood  with a tacit knowledge of the world.     The  speaker
and  listener  share  a  common background with  respect  to  the
workings of the "world".    This could include the regularity  of
certain  events (some subsumed under scientific laws) as well  as
social  customs.     Misunderstandings (and jokes) can occur when
the implied background assumptions are not shared.

One  of  the  problems in the interface between  AI  and  natural
languages  is  the formalization and explication of  our  "tacit"
knowledge.    It  is vast and practically  limitless,  hence  any
attempt to codify such knowledge can be expected to fall short of
our  expectations.    (It might help if someone found a recursive
structure.   :-)      A great deal of our tacit knowledge of  the
world  consists of litte tidbits and fleeting impressions,  which
of  course  do  not  fall under  principles  or  any  methods  of
organization.

The ultimate test of these general considerations is in the field
of  computer translation.    Essentially the translator must have
an  understanding of the "background" inherent in  two  different
natural  languages.    Where the translator is a computer such an
understanding must be explicitly codified for the performance  of
the task.    And this is where the great abyss exists.   (When we
have  a  successful computer translation of Proust into  English,
we'll  invite the engineer to explain how s/he  substituted  bio-
chemistry for electronics in the microprocessor.)

> From nsc!seismo!philabs!micomvax!othervax!psal
> Please add me to the mailing list.  Anyone out there interested in
> Langer or Clauswitz as well?
> -C.Thomas Weinbaum von Waldenthal

Perhaps  you tell us more about Clauswitz.     If  his  interests
overlap  with  those  of  Wittgenstein's this  is  the  place  to
introduce him.

> From nsc!seismo!mcvax!vu44!botter!botter!biep
> Here  in Europe we don't get net.philosophy.  However I've  never
> read anything of Wittgenstein, I thing I would be very interested
> to  follow this discussion,  that is:  reading in.  Would  it  be
> possible  for me to receive the articles by mail?  Thank a lot in
> advance!                                                    Biep.
> Some mazes (especially small ones) have no solutions.

OK,  so  what net category close to net.philosophy do you get  in
Europe?  There is no mailing list yet.   See "*" note at EOT.

> From nsc!seismo!mcnc!ecsvax!unbent Wed Feb 20 14:04:51 1985
> I'm   afraid   that  my  Wittgenstein  essays  all   predate   my
> computerization,  so none of them exist in any "electronic" form.
> Sorry.  I'm afraid that one is condemned to actually hauling them
> out of the library in order to read them.  That probably explains
> why  so  few  people have.
>
> One of our fellow conferees found Heidegger difficult to read  in
> English. You may assure him, on my behalf, that Heidegger is just
> as difficult to read in German. The best handle on Heidegger that
> I  know of is HEIDEGGER AND THE PROBLEM OF KNOWLEDGE,  Charles B.
> Guignon,  Hackett Publishing Co.  (Indianapolis; 1983). There are
> indeed affinities between Heidegger and Wittgenstein, but, as far
> as I know,  no mutual *influence* in either direction  (i.e.,  no
> evidence that either ever read anything by the other).

I  recall  reading  something  in  Wittgenstein's  letters  about
Heidegger.    Nothing of great significance though.     I imagine
Wittgenstein  had  some idea of Heidegger's BEING AND TIME  since
portions  of it was shown to be nonsense by Carnap in the  Vienna
positivist days.

There has been a MISPRINT in discussion #001, Jay's essays:
1> "Wittgenstein's   Theory  of  Language  as   Picture",   AMERICAN
1> PHILOSOPHICAL QUARTERLY, V,1, January 1968, pp. 18-30.
1>
1> "The Concept of Linguistic Correctness",  PHILOSOPHICAL  STUDIES,
1> 30, 1977, pp. 171-84.
1>
1> "Speaking Lions",  CANADIAN JOURNAL OF PHILOSOPHY,  VII,1,  1977,
1> pp. 155-60.
1>
The second article should be dated 1976,  not 1977.   I found the
third  article  by Jay quite lively in contrast to the  very  dry
writings  usually  found in academic journals.    For  those  not
familiar with Wittgenstein, I recommend reading the third article
instead of the second.

Interestingly, on page 183 of the second article, Jay says:
     "The  existence  of  persons  as  rational  beings  is  thus
     conceptually  inextricable  from their existence  as  social
     beings."
And the reason is compactly stated on page 182:
     "If, apart from his membership in a linguistic community, an
     individual   cannot  correctly  or  incorrectly  call   some
     confronted  item a 'T',  neither,  in the absence of such  a
     shared form of life,  can  he correctly or incorrectly think
     it to be, believe it to be, judge it to be, or know it to be
     a 'T'."
This  ties in with the AI discussion above in the sense that  the
acquisition  of  some  our  tacit knowledge of  the  world  would
require a person/entity to be a member of a linguistic community.
Question:  in what sense are AI systems rational?  If so, in what
way  could they ever be affirmed to be a member of  a  linguistic
community?

In the third article, Jay first considers the proposition:  "If a
lion could speak, we could not understand him."    It is found to
be a little incorrect,  in that we could deduce and confirm  what
the  lion is saying from his reports of external  events.     The
difficulty comes when internal events are reported, eg.  feelings
and  thoughts.    Wittgenstein's  private language arguments  are
relevant here.    So the proposition is modified to read:   "If a
lion could speak of himself,  we could not understand him."   But
Jay  adds  the caveat:   "...unless of course we live  with  this
lion,  come to know him as a friend,  enemy,  etc...  but then he
will be one of us."

> From: dual!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx:sphinx!thos
>       (Tom Barron,merr 376,28850,4935765,isdv)
> I'm  very interested in participating.  I spent more years of  my
> life  trying  to  unravel Wittgenstein than I'd  care  to  admit.
> There's  a  shelf full of paper somewhere on the subject but  I'm
> going to ignore it, to start fresh, if that's possible.
>
> I've  read  (and  will reread)  Jay  Rosenberg's  "Wittgenstein's
> Theory of Language as a Picture".  I benefited from it before and
> think  it  might  well provide a  way  of  focussing  discussion.
> Incidentally,  there's  a little book Rosenberg wrote called "The
> Practice  of Philosophy" (I think) that used to be  published  by
> Prentice  Hall that I'd recommend to any of our participants  who
> want  to brush up on philosophical techniques.  Perhaps I  should
> conclude  with  the  usual product disclaimers:  I've  never  met
> Rosenberg,  don't own stock in the University of North  Carolina,
> etc.

Thank you, Tom, for responding.   Welcome on behalf of the group.
I  think we all would be very interested in your  thoughts  after
you re-read Jay's essay.

*  Discussion Group: LUDWIG WITTGENSTEIN  -->  net.philosophy          *
*  ----------------------------------------------------------          *
*  The  topics will involve overlapping fields such as  linguistics,   *
*  philosophy,  and mathematics,  in order to maximize the number of   *
*  participants.     However,  all  discussions  will be located  in   *
*  "net.philosophy",  which  will serve as a common meeting  ground.   *
*                                                                      *
*  I imagine that some communication will be made via "mail" between   *
*  private individuals meeting through the main line of  discussion.   *
*  Hopefully,   these   private   discussions  will  be  posted   to   *
*  net.philosophy for source of further thought by everyone else.      *

Walt Sakai
{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,cbosgd,
 decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!proper!walt_sak

jc@mit-athena.UUCP (John Chambers) (03/18/85)

> In the third article, Jay first considers the proposition:  "If a
> lion could speak, we could not understand him."    It is found to
> be a little incorrect,  in that we could deduce and confirm  what
> the  lion is saying from his reports of external  events.

There was a clever illustration of why this is fallacious, published
some years ago in the form of a science fiction short story.  Sorry,
but I don't remember either the title or author; maybe there are some
SF fans around who do.

The scenario was the discovery of ruins of a recently-dead civilization
on Mars, complete with extensive libraries.  The only trouble was, there
wasn't any Rosetta stone.  The libraries had been written by members
of a species with no contact whatsoever with humans, not even common
ancestors that might have produced minimally similar outlooks on life.
But the scientists broke the "code" anyway.

The breakthrough came when one of the scientists recognized the layout
of a large chart on a wall in a room.  It was a periodic table.  This
is not a function of an individual's outlook on the universe.  Hydrogen
has the same properties everywhere, regardless of who is observing it.
So does helium, lithium, ..., uranium.  The electron orbitals are the
same everywhere, and they are what determine the observable properties
of the elements inside chemical compounds.  Any scientists on any planet
will come up with a periodical table, and a chart will look the same
(except for rotations and reflections).  The basic properties (atomic
number, atomic weight, filled/unfilled outer orbitals) will be the same
numbers (in some representation, to about 10 bits precision).

Once such an artifact is encountered, decoding the numbering system
would be straightforward; any cryptanalyst could do it.  (No, I don't
believe there could be a usable numbering system that humans couldn't
decode.  That's silly.)  Most of the names for the elements would be
complex symbols with visible inter-relationships, which gives you some
good hooks on the low-level syntax of the language (or at least of the
writing system).

If a lion were intelligent enough to "speak" (i.e., produce noises that
communicate information), and were willing to speak to us, there would
be relatively little trouble establishing understanding on a wide range
of topics.  Of course, we might never come to terms on value-judgements.
But that's a change-of-subject.
--

			John Chambers [...!decvax!mit-athena]

If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate.