[net.nlang] "Silverware"

lazeldes@wlcrjs.UUCP (Leah A Zeldes) (04/04/85)

In article <1860@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:

>     Hungry?  Get out the silverware (probably made of stainless steel).
>Department stores have coined the term "flatware" to indicate stainless steel
>silverware.  (And what on earth do you call a phrase like "stainless
>steel silverware"?)

	These are Americanisms.  I noted when I was in England last year that
they call eating utensils "cutlery," which here refers almost exclusively to
knives.

--

					Leah A Zeldes
					...ihnp4!wlcrjs!lazeldes

[Note: Chi-net is about to go off-line for an unknown amount of time.
Please send responses by regular mail to 2007 W. Howard, Evanston, IL 60202]