[net.nlang] Ambiguous advertising slogans

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (04/11/85)

>From: mlf@panda.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum)
>
>   I have always liked slogans that don't always say what
>they try to.  For example,
>
>Has anyone more of these to share?

At the movies the other night, one of the little bits before the feature
was an reminder that Monday was "Date Night". It said in part:

"Bring your mother, wife, girlfirend, etc. and your date gets in free."

I don't care how much a movie costs, I don't think I'd bring my mom along
on a date. And if I had a wife, I wouldn't even want her to know I was
having a date.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

jims@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (04/15/85)

>At the movies the other night, one of the little bits before the feature
>was an reminder that Monday was "Date Night". It said in part:
>
>"Bring your mother, wife, girlfirend, etc. and your date gets in free."
>
>I don't care how much a movie costs, I don't think I'd bring my mom along
>on a date. And if I had a wife, I wouldn't even want her to know I was
>having a date.

But what about you ?  In a dating situation, I'm your date and you are
my date.  So we should both get in free !
And what about two guys/girls on a date ?
I certainly hope that no one pays on Monday night at this place

Jim Sullivan		Nothin' for a man to do but sit around and think
						- Violent Femmes