[net.nlang] Origin of expletive

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (04/19/85)

I was told that 'fuck' was placed on placards that were put before unhappy
souls in the stocks and that it stood for: for use of carnal knowledge.
Is this true?

Hedley.

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (04/22/85)

> I was told that 'fuck' was placed on placards that were put before unhappy
> souls in the stocks and that it stood for: for use of carnal knowledge.
> Is this true?
>
> Hedley.

George Carlin, in his "The Seven Words You Can't Say On Television," says
that "fuck" originally meant "to hit with a stick."  I have no idea whether
this is correct.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (04/22/85)

In article <1260001@acf4.UUCP> hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) writes:
>I was told that 'fuck' was placed on placards that were put before unhappy
>souls in the stocks and that it stood for: for use of carnal knowledge.
>Is this true?
>
>Hedley.

NONONONO!!! Fuck comes form an Indo-european root related to modern
'beat'.

This is the second time we are starting on this word in less than
a year.  If you are interested in the origins of a word, find
an etymological dictionary and look it up.  Your local librarian
will be delighted to point you to such a dictionary.  Do not
simply do a brain dump on us.  In any case,
the answers (including this one) you will get from this newsgroup
may be quite unreliable, so you might as well look it up anyway.

You would perform a valuable service to this newsgroup by posting
several etymologies of 'fuck', quoting sources, so that the tidal
wave of false 'fuck' etymologies may be nipped in the bud.

From the metaphorical mixmaster of
--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (04/23/85)

[]
> I was told that 'fuck' was placed on placards that were put before unhappy
> souls in the stocks and that it stood for: for use of carnal knowledge.
> Is this true?
>
> Hedley.
	No.
	"Fuck" is one of the oldest words in English, going
back to times when most speakers of the language were
illiterate and wouldn't have understood a round-about phrase
like "for use of carnal knowledge" if it had been read aloud
to them.
	Earlier forms of the word, with cognates in other
Germanic languages, are something like "ficken"; I think the
Indo-european root is "PHUG-".  When you go back that far it
is related to lots of other words.
	The earliest meaning (if memory serves) of 'fuck' is
something like the verb 'to plant.'  As in, "Tomorrow we have
to fuck all the turnips in the north field."

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh
From: hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie)
Newsgroups: net.nlang
Subject: Origin of expletive
Date: Thu, 18-Apr-85 23:19:00 EST

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (04/24/85)

> I was told that 'fuck' was placed on placards that were put before unhappy
> souls in the stocks and that it stood for: for use of carnal knowledge.
> Is this true?

I believe that this story is apocryphal.  As far as I know, the Germanic
origins of 'fuck' are well attested.  The modern German equivalent is
'ficken'.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally