[net.nlang] retronyms

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (03/21/85)

Frank Mankiewicz, son of the screenwriter Joseph, defines a *retronym*
as "a noun fitted with an adjective that it never used to need, but now
cannot do without".

William Safire, quoting this in his New York Times Magazine column,
cites these examples:

	"analog watch"
	"day baseball game"
	"therapeutic massage"
	"human-readable"

(In other words, ALL watches used to be analog, and so on.)

If you want to mail more of these to me, I'll post a summary.

{ allegra | decvax | duke | ihnp4 | linus | watmath | ... } !utzoo!lsuc!msb
		      also via { hplabs | amd | twg | ... } !pesnta!lsuc!msb
Mark Brader		    and			   uw-beaver!utcsri!lsuc!msb

"I'm a little worried about the bug-eater," she said.  "We're embedded
in bugs, have you noticed?"		-- Niven, "The Integral Trees"

chabot@miles.DEC (L S Chabot) (04/11/85)

How about gender-designators, like "male secretary"?

(-: No comments about how the first programmer was a Lady! :-)

L S Chabot	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot

bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) (04/15/85)

How about "wood-burning fireplaces"?
--
Bob Kaplan

"Our love burns like fire, then turns to ashes."

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (04/16/85)

In article <1613@decwrl.UUCP> chabot@miles.DEC (L S Chabot) writes:
>How about gender-designators, like "male secretary"?
>
>(-: No comments about how the first programmer was a Lady! :-)

I read somewhere that until about 100 years ago secretaries were
male, and that there was a great hue and cry when women entered
the field.
It seems that when we expect something to have a certain quality
that quality is not verbalized- it is "unmarked".  Qualities
seem to be verbalized only when they are not expected, such as
a female secretary 100 years ago and a male secretary today.
--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (04/17/85)

--
> I read somewhere that until about 100 years ago secretaries were
> male, and that there was a great hue and cry when women entered
> the field...
> --
> Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)

Yes, most were male.  Those who were able to operate the then
new-fangled typing machines were called "typewriters".
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (04/20/85)

In article <532@cadovax.UUCP> bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) writes:
>How about "wood-burning fireplaces"?
>--

Have you never seen a fireplace burning coal?
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (04/24/85)

In article <400@tymix.UUCP> kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) writes:
>In article <532@cadovax.UUCP> bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) writes:
>>How about "wood-burning fireplaces"?
>
>Have you never seen a fireplace burning coal?

Only indirectly -- I have seen electric fireplaces.  Of course, the word
"fireplace" is then a misnomer, as there is no real flame.  But it looks
like a fireplace, and it isn't burning wood.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (04/25/85)

In article <4098@mit-eddie.UUCP> barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <400@tymix.UUCP> kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) writes:
>>In article <532@cadovax.UUCP> bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) writes:
>>>How about "wood-burning fireplaces"?
>>
>>Have you never seen a fireplace burning coal?
>Only indirectly -- I have seen electric fireplaces.

There are gas firelaces that have concrete "logs" that do have flames;
gas flames.  Personally this seems like having plastic food, but then
McDonald's does pretty well :->

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/03/85)

In article <532@cadovax.UUCP> bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) writes:
>How about "wood-burning fireplaces"?
>--
>Bob Kaplan

Sorry -- that's a valid distinction. It means the flue and fireplace
itself is designed for handling woodsmoke. It is used to distinguish these
from those which can only take a gas fire -- either with fake logs or from
a burner behind a cast-iron decorative plate. Trying to burn wood in a
fireplace built to handle gas only is a good way to burn down your house
or apartment building...

I've had both kinds of fireplaces in houses I've owned. The gas-burner kind
were common in this area [St. Louis] in pre-WWI houses, where they were
really used for heat. The burners were large sheets of perforated brass,
so you had a large number of tiny flames. This was concealed behind a
cast-iron perforated panel. Trying to convert such fireplaces to handle wood
is usually a mistake and costs more than it's worth.

There are also coal-burning fireplaces, and I think the distinction there
is that the flue is midway in size between the gas and wood varieties.
Also the firebox is of a different depth (the gas ones are quite shallow).

Will