[net.nlang] The Queen's English

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (04/16/85)

The recent flurry of articles on distinctions between UK and US use of
"the" inspires me to recollect some vivid reactions to UK English that I
had early in my seven-year sojurn there.

When I commented to a Scottish friend about the "the" phenomenon, he
pointed out an inverse: claimed that "Joe is in jail" would be said in
Scotland as "Joe is in the jail"--(spelled gaol, of course).  He also came
up with another interesting one.  Said that there were parts of Yorkshire
where the word "while" was understood to mean "until."  This tended to
cause fatalities at RR crossings, e.g. "Do not cross while the lights are
flashing."

It was interesting to look for UK equivalents to common US phrases and
slang words.  "Stop on a dime" became "Stop on sixpence".  "A dime a dozen"
became "Ten a penny."  The language was full of good epithets: nerd, twit,
etc., but I tried many times to find a UK equivalent for the phrase "He's
all wet" and it just does not seem to exist.  I particularly enjoyed the
various degrees of "go away": buzz off, piss off, and fuck off.  There is
also "sod off," but I am not sure just where it nests in the previous sequence.

Getting around now to stronger language and obscene gestures (I think
gestures come under net.nlang), the epithet "prick" is never applied to a
male in the UK.  The proper word is "cunt."  This now introduces my obscene
gesture anecdote.  One morning I observed the (American) manager of all
systems programming at International Computers Ltd. (Kidsgrove) arguing
with a plant security guard.  Some of these guards believed that their sole
purpose in life was to keep us out of the nearby parking lot.  This manager
was planning to drive to the Bracknell site some 150 miles south that
morning, but wanted to stop off first at his office.  Frusrated with his
problem with the guard, he gave the latter the "finger," and drove away.  I
made a point of seeing him the next day and explaining that if you are
going to aim an obscene gesture at a Brit, you better use one he will
understand.  Take your right hand.  Make a V for victory sign.  Now, bend
your forefinger and third finger slightly and turn your hand so that the
back of your hand faces the recipient of the gesture.

My final item is interesting because it is a difference in grammar rather
than in vocabulary.  The word "agree" can be used as a transitive verb in
the UK.  The first few times I heard it, I thought I was hearing jargon,
akin to "progressing a project."  Then, I saw the usage in books and
newspapers and checked it in the OED.  Examples are: "The committee is
meeting to agree the language definition," "two chess players agreed a
draw."

Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (04/22/85)

> When I commented to a Scottish friend about the "the" phenomenon, he
> pointed out an inverse: claimed that "Joe is in jail" would be said in
> Scotland as "Joe is in the jail"--(spelled gaol, of course).  He also came
> up with another interesting one.  Said that there were parts of Yorkshire
> where the word "while" was understood to mean "until."  This tended to
> cause fatalities at RR crossings, e.g. "Do not cross while the lights are
> flashing."
>
> Herb Kanner
> Tymnet, Inc.

Another one like this is the word "yet".  Here's what Fowler has to say about
it:

"'Yet' in its temporal sense may be ambiguous: its old sense of 'now as
before', 'still' has lasted longer in Scotland and Ireland than in England.
To a Scotsman or Irishman the natural meaning of 'Is it raining yet?' is
'Is it still raining?'  To an Englishman it is 'Has it yet begun to rain?'"
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

mgh@hou5h.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (04/22/85)

"
With refernce to slang and jargon and UK/USA equivalence:
	"prick" is never used to refer to a male.
	Oh, yes it is, we used to use it frequently.

	there is no equivalent of "he is all wet".  Hmm, description
	of a person as being wet is fairly mild and has been around
	a long time.  Recently it has been used to refer to the
	more liberal minded members of the conservative party
	(eg "Pinko" Prior, Ted Heath, Linda Shorter, Alec Buchanan,
	Peter Walker, Tim Sainsbury etc.) who are regarded by the
	Thatcherite power-wielders as being wishy-washy fibreless
	softies.

	Oh yes, "fanny" doesn't mean what you think it means in UK,
	so be careful (its much stronger and refers to a part of
	female anatomy).  And "sod off" is stronger than "bugger off"
	which is stronger than "piss off" (substantially).  So there.
--
			Marcus Hand	(hou5h!mgh)

kay@flame.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (04/30/85)

In article <395@tymix.UUCP> kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) writes:
>Getting around now to stronger language and obscene gestures (I think
>gestures come under net.nlang), the epithet "prick" is never applied to a
>male in the UK.  The proper word is "cunt."

Not so. "Prick" may be used in a fairly mild fashion, being rather stronger
than "twit".
"Cunt" is *always* used offensively.
							Kay.

--
"Science is the best way of satisfying the curiosity of individuals
 at government expense."   -- L A Artsimovich, Novy Mir I (1967)

dac1@ukc.UUCP (D.Caldwell) (05/03/85)

like "A dime a dozen"/"Ten a penny". Why do you assume to use 'became'
as in the US phrase became the UK phrase? Unless you know for certain
that the one originated before the other, it would be better to just
say they are equivalent.

As Marcus Hand said, describing people as "wet" or "a prick" both
occur regularly here in Britain. Likewise "cunt"; and incidentally
I would think that few British people exposed to such language do not
know that "fanny" can be used to refer to the same part of human
anatomy.

I am sure that the relative strengths of sod/bugger/piss off depend
more on the person saying them and the way in which he does so, than
in anything inherent in the words.

- David Caldwell,  Canterbury, England.

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (05/03/85)

Someone (Norman Diamond) suggested I post the name of the British/American
Dictionary that I have.  I don't have it with me, but it is published by
Passport books and the author's name is Moss.  It has some interesting
things, like "momentarily", which in the US means "in a short period of
time", whereas in England it means "for a short period of time", although
the English meaning is sometimes used here, e.g. "Hold the button down
momentarily".  Interesting book.

Merlyn Leroy
Rule 6: There is no rule 6