[net.nlang] English Horns

callas@eris.DEC (The tea leaves never lie) (05/01/85)

        	The english horn (which looks a lot like an oboe, but sounds a
	        fifth lower) got its name when the French "cor angle'" (lit:
	        "angled horn"-- the instrument actually had a bend in it, though
	        the modern version is straight with a curve only in the bocal)
	        was confused with the near homophone "cor anglais".  As a wind
	        instrument, it certainly qualifies as a horn in the musical
	        sense.

        The reason an english horn looks a lot like an oboe is because
        it *is* an oboe. An alto oboe, to be precise. Your etymology is
        correct, but your analysis isn't. Both the oboe and the english
        horn are woodwind instruments. The term "horn" refers to brass
        instruments.

        	Jon, an english hornist.
        	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-eris!callas

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (05/02/85)

In article <1946@decwrl.UUCP> callas@eris.DEC (The tea leaves never lie) writes:
>        ...  Your etymology is
>        correct, but your analysis isn't. Both the oboe and the english
>        horn are woodwind instruments. The term "horn" refers to brass
>        instruments.

In this case, it doesn't. Neither in the case of calling a saxophone a "horn."
I think what you meant to say it that in current usage among [classical?]
musicians and musicologists, the word "horn" is limited to brass instruments.
But when talking about the etymology of a word, one must keep in mind
different meanings of words to different groups of people in different
geographic and sociological and chronological situations.

--

Rob Bernardo, San Francisco, California
{nsc,ucbvax,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
       _/  \     /  \
     _/      \ _/    \
              \      /

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (05/02/85)

> If you tell me what an "English Horn" is,
> I'll tell you what a "bollock" is.
> -Nige Gale

Please don't. But Americans sometimes say "To make a bollix of...." or "To
bollix up...." meaning, to make a mess of. This term isn't usually regarded
as obscene.

How about an explanation of the term "pillock", which was used several times
in the British movie "A Private Function"? A barbaric north-of-Watford
combination of "pill" with "bollock"?

	John Purbrick ...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!mit-hermes!jpexg
			jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA

ncg@ukc.UUCP (N.C.Gale) (05/07/85)