[net.nlang] The V *F* W

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/03/85)

Anyone know why the emphasis on *Foreign* in the name of the organization

"The Veterans of Foreign Wars"?

Was it so named, maybe back in the late 1800's or whenever it was formed
(after the Spanish-American war, mayhap?), to specifically *exclude*
Civil War or Indian campaign veterans, or perhaps they had their own
organizations and this newly-formed one was trying to distinguish itself
from them?

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

wfmans@ihuxb.UUCP (w. mansfield) (05/10/85)

> Anyone know why the emphasis on *Foreign* in the name of the organization
>
> "The Veterans of Foreign Wars"?
>
> Will Martin

I thought that VFW members had to serve *overseas* during a foreign
conflict.  (Nam and Korea count.  Grenada and Lebanon don't seem to.)
The American Legion takes all veterans.
--

	Bill Mansfield
	AT&T Information Systems, Naperville, IL

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/15/85)

In article <1019@ihuxb.UUCP> wfmans@ihuxb.UUCP (w. mansfield) writes:
>> Anyone know why the emphasis on *Foreign* in the name of the organization
>> "The Veterans of Foreign Wars"?
>> Will Martin
>
>I thought that VFW members had to serve *overseas* during a foreign
>conflict.  (Nam and Korea count.  Grenada and Lebanon don't seem to.)
>The American Legion takes all veterans.
>	Bill Mansfield

OK, but *why*? That is, what is the motivation behind this being a
separate organization? Was there a lot of internal politics being
played in the American Legion, and the group that formed the VFW
was a splinter of this? Or what?

I do see the distinction; I suppose it could be simply explained
as those who served in "real shooting wars" don't want to be classed
with the people who served their time in the Ft. Bragg motor pool
or programming here at ALMSA (an Army activity), but I was hoping to
dig up some historical info...

Regards,

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (05/15/85)

> > Anyone know why the emphasis on *Foreign* in the name of the organization
> >
> > "The Veterans of Foreign Wars"?
> >
> > Will Martin
>
> I thought that VFW members had to serve *overseas* during a foreign
> conflict.  (Nam and Korea count.  Grenada and Lebanon don't seem to.)
> The American Legion takes all veterans.
> --
>
> 	Bill Mansfield
> 	AT&T Information Systems, Naperville, IL
> 	{ihnp4!}ihuxb!wfmans

for a certain number of days. I believe 181. While nam and Korea
were not declared wars like Grenada and Lebanon, their length
forced Congress to make them war zones.

I belong to the VFW and I think I made the right pick cause the
VFW is the only vets outfit that took the vets view on
agent orange.

***IF YOU CUT HERE IT WILL RUIN YOUR CRT***