[net.nlang] where did the 'B' come from?

liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (05/10/85)

I've been wondering for a while what the entymology of the name "Bill" is.
I can see Will deriving from William, but where'd the 'B' come from?

-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (05/11/85)

> I've been wondering for a while what the entymology of the name "Bill" is.
> I can see Will deriving from William, but where'd the 'B' come from?

Try making 'b' and 'w' sounds and notice what your mouth does.  'B' and 'w'
are both what's known in the trade as "labial" sounds, because you make them
by articulating with your lips.  In the course of history, labial sounds
often get substituted for one another.  Hence the variants "Bill" and
"Will".

That's not all there is to it, though.  The corresponding German name is
"Wilhelm," pronounced /'vil helm/.  That 'v' sound is what's known as a
"labiodental," because it involves the bottom lip and the upper teeth.
Labials and labiodentals, too, are often substituted for one another.

It gets a lot more complicated if you look at the Romance languages.  If
anybody out there can give the exact relationship with all intermediate
stages between the above and the Spanish "Guillermo," for instance, I'd be
interested.

This Phonetics and Phonology Minute has been brought to you by the
International Amateur Ph&Ph Society...					:-)

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (05/12/85)

In article <419@cvl.UUCP> liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) writes:
>I've been wondering for a while what the entymology of the name "Bill" is.
>I can see Will deriving from William, but where'd the 'B' come from?

Apparently (at least in English) it used to be common to base new names,
especially pet names, on rhymes with existing names. The following
examples are taken from Dunkling & Gosling's "The Facts on File Dictionary
of First Names":
	Ted from Ed(ward) (beside from Theodore)
	Ned from Ed(ward)
	Bob from Rob(ert)
	Polly from Molly (which is a pet form of Mary via Mally)
	Dick from Rick (which is a pet form of Richard, Frederick, etc.)
--

Rob Bernardo, San Francisco, California
{nsc,ucbvax,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
       _/  \     /  \
     _/      \ _/    \
              \      /

In article <1886@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss riddle) writes:
>It gets a lot more complicated if you look at the Romance languages.  If
>anybody out there can give the exact relationship with all intermediate
>stages between [William] and the Spanish "Guillermo," for instance, I'd be
>interested.

The original name was an Old High Germane name "Willahelm", which entered the
Romance languages as Latinized "Guilielmus".

The change of Germanic "w" to Early Romance "gu" (pronounced "gw")
is common in Germanic-to-Romance borrowings, cf.  English "war"
and  Spanish "guerra" (the 'u' used to be pronounced), from Germanic "werra";
Engish "ward" and (via French) "guard".

As for Spanish, the change from "Guilielmus" to "Guillermo" follows
all the normal sound changes Spanish incurred as it developed from Latin.
	1. The use of the accusative ending "um" in place of the nominative
	   "us". The final "m" was reduced to mere nasalization of the
	   preceding "u" vowel. The final "u" being short and unstressed
	   merged with "o". This happened to most Latin nouns ending in "us".
	2. The change of a second "l" to "r" and vice versa is common in
	   many disparate language families. In Spanish, many words with
	   two of these sounds underwent a transposition of them, or a shift
	   of one to the other.
		 milagro from Latin miraculum
		 peligro from Latin periculum
		 pelegrino from Latin peregrinus
	3. The change of the sound "gw" to "g" before front vowels ("i" and "e")
	   occurs most everywhere in the development of Spanish words
	   from Latin (although the "u" is still present in the SPELLING).
        4. The change of the sound "ly" (spelled as "li" in the Latinized form)
           to the palatal lateral sound (spelled as "ll" in Spanish) occurs most

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (05/13/85)

> I've been wondering for a while what the entymology of the name "Bill" is.
> I can see Will deriving from William, but where'd the 'B' come from?
>
> -eli

	I suspect it comes from the old Teutonic, wherein Wilhelm is
pronounced as with a "v" and not with a "w". Etymologically speaking,
v tends toward b over time, so that the name which sounded like "Villy"
eventually became "Billy".
	Now, what I want to know, is how they got "Peggy" out of Margaret.
--

jcpatilla

"'Fancy thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill !'"

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (05/14/85)

> I've been wondering for a while what the entymology of the name "Bill" is.
> I can see Will deriving from William, but where'd the 'B' come from?
>
> -eli

Just a convention - perhaps related to the "B" in boy.  Consider "Bob"
for "Robert." Some people think "Bob" sounds better than "Rob."

Some of my young chess friends used to do this to everybody
indiscriminately.  For instance, a veteran chess player named "Erich"
(short e, hard ch) became "Berich" (long e, soft ch)!
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

rapaport@ellie.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) (05/14/85)

> > I've been wondering for a while what the entymology of the name "Bill" is.
> > I can see Will deriving from William, but where'd the 'B' come from?
> >
> > -eli
>
> Just a convention - perhaps related to the "B" in boy.  Consider "Bob"
> for "Robert." Some people think "Bob" sounds better than "Rob."
>
> Some of my young chess friends used to do this to everybody
> indiscriminately.  For instance, a veteran chess player named "Erich"
> (short e, hard ch) became "Berich" (long e, soft ch)!
> --
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

------------
As a Bill, I feel somewhat qualified to venture a hypothesis (or even aN
hypothesis):  `w' is pronounced /v/ in many languages, and `v' and `b'
are not distinguished in many languages. So:

	 William -> Will -> /vil/ -> /bil/ -> Bill

Does this sound plausible or is it mere folk etymology?

--
				William J. Rapaport
				Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science, SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260
(716) 636-3193
uucp:  ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!rapaport
csnet/arpanet:  rapaport%buffalo@csnet-relay

peg@ihlpm.UUCP (Peg Streff) (05/20/85)

> 	Now, what I want to know, is how they got "Peggy" out of Margaret.
> --
>
> jcpatilla

Margaret --> Margie --> Maggie --> Meggie --> Peggy

i have been asked that question many times, and this is the best
way i've found to explain it, but i still can't explain the switch
from M to P!!

--
Peg Streff
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (05/23/85)

In article <263@ihlpm.UUCP> peg@ihlpm.UUCP (Peg Streff) writes:
>> 	Now, what I want to know, is how they got "Peggy" out of Margaret.
>> --
>>
>> jcpatilla
>>
>Margaret --> Margie --> Maggie --> Meggie --> Peggy
>
>i have been asked that question many times, and this is the best
>way i've found to explain it, but i still can't explain the switch
>from M to P!!

Many nicknames in English are based on rhymes with other names, e.g.
	Bob from Rob
	Dick from Rick
	Ned, Ted from Ed
	Bill from Will

This is not the case of some regular phonological sound change as
occurs in the words of a language through time, but rather of
a way speakers of English consciously created new nicknames.