[net.nlang] How about "Yankees"?

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (05/24/85)

In article <700@teklds.UUCP> riks@teklds.UUCP (Rik Smoody) writes:
>I'm inclined to use the word "Yankee" to refer to things of the US.
>Any cashier in BC (western province of Canada, for you eastern
>Yanks) understands "What's that come to in Yankee dollars?".

I'm currently living in the southern U.S., and use of the term "yankee"
is usually preficed by the term "goddamn" as in, "Let's go whup us
some of them goddamn yankees been puttin brown sugar on their grits."

I'd suggest you be careful about refering to people as a "yankee"
when you are traveling.

A "yanker" myself,
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) (05/28/85)

> I'm currently living in the southern U.S., and use of the term "yankee"
> is usually preficed by the term "goddamn" as in, "Let's go whup us
> some of them goddamn yankees been puttin brown sugar on their grits."

You got it.  Actually, although I think that there is no prettier place
in the world than North Carolina (or friendlier people or more beautiful
women or......), I went through mild culture shock when I moved here
3 years ago from the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  These people put slaw on
their barbecue sandwiches (heresy), drink Pepsi instead of Coca-cola
(sacrilege), like their cornbread excessively sweet (abominable, but
quite tasty), and deny that the Beach Boys are beach music; preferring
instead The Drifters, The Embers, etc.

Besides, Winston-Salem (about 20 miles away) is over 1/3 Yankees!!
And more carpetbaggers comin' in every day!  That's OK though; I'm going
to love sipping Peppermint Schnapps by the Blue Ridge Parkway this
winter while it's solid glare ice and watch the Florida tourists coming
down the mountain in their New Yorkers and fancy vans with slick tires...
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

td@alice.UUCP (Tom Duff) (05/28/85)

> As a bo'n-an'-raised Suthanuh, Ah strongly resent yew callin' me
> uh Yankee!!

Of course, that's the point.  We used to just call them all Yanks
back in Toronto, knowning full well that South Yanks would bust an
artery at being called Yankees, and that North Yanks would recognize
that even if `Yankee' were a term of (backhanded) endearment, a
monosyllabic burst like `Yank' (rhymes with wank, crank, etc.)
couldn't possibly be.

Of course, there's nothing you can call a Canadian that will upset him.
He's heard it all before, having been abused by ignorant or
malicious Yanks all his life, and besides, he's too passively
polite to get upset.

(Now I'm going to start getting hate mail from some illiterate
bozo who thinks that I just called all 'Murricuns (that's what
I'm given to calling them these days) are ignorant and malicious,
when the only people I insulted categorically are the Canadians,
who I hope can take a joke.)

9234dwz@houxf.UUCP (T.SIEFRING) (05/28/85)

->You got it.  Actually, although I think that there is no prettier place
->in the world than North Carolina (or friendlier people or more beautiful
->women or......), I went through mild culture shock when I moved here
->3 years ago from the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  These people put slaw on
->their barbecue sandwiches (heresy), drink Pepsi instead of Coca-cola
->(sacrilege), like their cornbread excessively sweet (abominable, but
->quite tasty), and deny that the Beach Boys are beach music; preferring
->instead The Drifters, The Embers, etc.
->
->alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

  Re barbeque sandwiches- wot no mention of the barbeque fish sandwiches ?
Maybe they are local to the Oriental-New Bern area ?

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"I am the God of Hellfire, and I bring you fire" - CWoA Brown

addw@root44.UUCP (Alain Williams) (06/05/85)

Tom Duff says:
> Of course, there's nothing you can call a Canadian that will upset him.
> He's heard it all before, having been abused by ignorant or
> malicious Yanks all his life, and besides, he's too passively
> polite to get upset.

In my experience most Canadians get mad if you mistake them for a 'Yankee'
or even hint that you think they are one.

--
	Alain Williams,
	Root Computers Ltd, London, England.

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (06/05/85)

In article <3765@alice.UUCP> td@alice.UUCP (Tom Duff) writes:
>Of course, there's nothing you can call a Canadian that will upset him.

How about "American"?
						Kay.
--OUCH@!
--
"It takes a coward like you to insist that Michael Jackson's nun is living
in your computer."