[net.nlang] Charming typo

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (04/22/85)

I've had my name misspelled many ways in the past, but never before
have I seen what came on some junk mail this morning:

		Mark's Brader

Sounds like a British place name.  Of course, if you read "'s" as a
contraction of "is", it's a true sentence.

		Mark S. Brader

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (04/25/85)

My favorite example of pseudo-personalized word processing was a piece
of mail addressed to my friend, Thomas W. Whalen III.  It was an
invitation to enter a sweepstakes and began:

Dear Mr. Iii:
Imagine your neighbors' surprise when you and the entire Iii family
drive home in your new Pontiac...

--------------------------------
Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
{allegra|ihnp4}!sftig!mot!al  OR  {seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al
ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al
--------------------------------
You may already be a wiener.

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (04/29/85)

> My favorite example of pseudo-personalized word processing was a piece
> of mail addressed to my friend, Thomas W. Whalen III.  It was an
> invitation to enter a sweepstakes and began:
>
> Dear Mr. Iii:
> Imagine your neighbors' surprise when you and the entire Iii family
> drive home in your new Pontiac...

The Department Head of my high school's math department, Stan Fredrickson,
used to get lots of junk mail addressed to various perversions of the line
"Stan Fredrickson, Math Department Head".  His absolute favorite, which he
posted on his office wall, was an advertisement from TIME Magazine, which
looked like a huge award plaque addressed to

		MR MATH

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

The above opinions are those exclusively of superior beings.  If you don't
share them, I'm not surprised.

mgh@hou5h.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (04/30/85)

OK, these two are nothing to do with pseudo-personalized (yechhh)
word processing circular mail...
But they kinda fit the category.

I once had a letter addressed to "My Hand" and my handwriting isn't
that bad!   Sometimes it makes me wonder who is employed to type
envelopes in big corporations...

The other is from a medium sized software house I used to work for.
One of my colleagues, named Steve Holdship,  had been doing a proposal
for a french company (in France) and had spoken several times by phone
to people there.  Eventually, someone sent him the travel details and
addressed the letter to.....   Mr S. Oldsheep.

And its true -- he was proudly showing the letter around the office.
A kind of educated typo, that one!
--
			Marcus Hand	(hou5h!mgh)

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (04/30/85)

My father is an Optometrist (an OD), and somehow got on a series of mailing
lists as Dr. Od.  We got several of those delightfully personal letters
addressed that way.  You know...  "...the Od family may have already won..."!

--Evan Marcus

--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
                         ...!petfe!evan

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
kinds, and those who don't.

bobm@rtech.ARPA (Bob Mcqueer) (04/30/85)

[]---

As a student, as used to live in a place called the "Wesley House", and
I handled the treasury / mail, etc.  The letters addressed to "Mr. Wesley
House" used to yield me a snicker or two, especially those inquiring after
the welfare of "Mrs. House and all the little Houses" prior to hawking
insurance.

Bob McQueer
amdahl!rtech!bobm

costin_2@h-sc1.UUCP (dan costin) (05/01/85)

So is everyone ready to find out what MY favorite typo is?

We had this teacher back in high school.  He was in the Soc. Stud. department.
And he had this piece of junk mail come to the school one day, which,
as a greeting just had...

Dear Mr. Stud:

-dc

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (05/01/85)

> > Dear Mr. Iii:
> > Imagine your neighbors' surprise when you and the entire Iii family
> > drive home in your new Pontiac...
> >
> 		MR MATH
We have gotten an inordinate amount of mail sent to Prof. Tba here at
the CS dept.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (05/02/85)

[]
	Once upon a time, the Institute for Defense Analyses
in Princeton received a letter addressed to Mr. Defense and
promising a very wonderful insurance/savings program individually
tailored to the needs of the Defenses of Princeton.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

dickey@ssc-vax.UUCP (Frederick J Dickey) (05/02/85)

Years ago I read an article about "Joe Blow, Therapist".
Of course Joe Blow wasn't the guy's name, but I don't remember
what it was. It was a very long name and that's important
to the story. Mr. Blow's name got on a mailing list .
He got a letter with a computer generated mailing label.
The label program was designed to wrap around if one of the
lines of the address was too long. Mr Blow's name was too
long so the label started out:

                  Joe Blow, The
                      rapist

Mr Blow was quite upset about this. According to the article,
Mr Blow sued and won.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (05/03/85)

Many years ago, when computers were called "electronic brains" and
"Univacs" and the tallest building in New York was the Empire State
Building, Reader's Digest reported that a computer-personalized form
letter had been received by a certain New York company, addressed to

   Mr. Intl B. MacHines
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{ihnp4,seismo,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (05/04/85)

> ...an advertisement from TIME magazine, which looked like a
> huge wall plaque addressed to
>		MR MATH

It figures.

Note: Our group has nothing to do with such things.
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."

mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker) (05/05/85)

[oh, GOD, not again!]

> > MR MATH
> It figures.

I'll bet there are a number of responses to that.

--
-  Larry Baker @ The University of Texas at Austin
-  ... {seismo!ut-sally | decvax!allegra | tektronix!ihnp4}!ut-ngp!mercury

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (05/08/85)

In article <142@mot.UUCP> al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) writes:

>My favorite example of pseudo-personalized word processing was a piece
>of mail addressed to my friend, Thomas W. Whalen III.  It was an
>invitation to enter a sweepstakes and began:
>
>Dear Mr. Iii:
>Imagine your neighbors' surprise when you and the entire Iii family
>drive home in your new Pontiac...

I received a similar letter, when I was living in Louisville, Ky.--it went
something like this--
  Imagine your neighbors' surprise when you drive up Ormsby Court in your
new Pontiac...

My neighbors would have indeed been surprised--Ormsby Court is a pedestrian
courtyard!

--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (05/10/85)

In article <142@mot.UUCP> al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) writes:

>My favorite example of pseudo-personalized word processing was a piece
>of mail addressed to my friend, Thomas W. Whalen III. ...

(1) The Duke University Library once got a letter addressed to "Duke Univ
Lib" which began

	Dear Mr. Lib:

	Did you know that the Lib family has a coat of arms?

(2) An Indian friend of mine named Ramu Reddy once got a letter from a
company that did geneological tracings, saying that they had traced the
Reddy family back to County Kilmanrock in Ireland, and that for a fee they
would investigate his family tree even further.
--
Dana S. Nau,  Computer Science Dept.,  U. of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742
ARPA:  dsn@maryland				CSNet:  dsn@umcp-cs

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (05/10/85)

When I was in high school in the LA area, I bowled in a league at
the no-longer existant Santa Monica Bowl.  They regularly received
mail addressed to Monica B. Santa.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

rjh@calmasd.UUCP (Bob Hofkin) (05/10/85)

Imagine the neighbors' surprise when we knock on the door of P.O. Box ....

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (05/16/85)

 ************** This does not belong in net.nlang! ********************
 *                                                                    *
 * When I was in high school in the LA area, I bowled in a league at  *
 * the no-longer existant Santa Monica Bowl.  They regularly received *
 * mail addressed to Monica B. Santa.                                 *
 *                                                                    *

    Please keep the topic in net.jokes, huh? That means if you followup
    future articles to this topic, please delete the reference
    to `net.nlang', which most people apparently confuse with net.misc.

    Sorry to bother the net.jokes people.

Thanks.

ccrtom@ucdavis.UUCP (Kate Bush Groupie) (06/06/85)

> My favorite example of pseudo-personalized word processing was a piece
> of mail addressed to my friend, Thomas W. Whalen III.  It was an
> invitation to enter a sweepstakes and began:
>
> Dear Mr. Iii:
> Imagine your neighbors' surprise when you and the entire Iii family
> drive home in your new Pontiac...
>
> --------------------------------
> Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
> {allegra|ihnp4}!sftig!mot!al  OR  {seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al
> ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al
> You may already be a wiener.

In a similar vein, one of my former supervisors loved titles.  Once he
had been pronounced an Associate Director, he began using the title
in all his correspondence.  So, it was inevitable that he would one day
bring this ever-so-personal form letter into the office:

	"Dear Mr. Ass..."