[net.nlang] signposts

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (06/10/85)

In article <1429@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP writes:
>Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
>amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?
>--

  Somewhere on a highway between here and San Antonio is a "HELL" service
station.   (Should have been SHELL.)  Needless to say, I didn't stop.
--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper HLO2-3/M08 DTN225-5819) (06/12/85)

From Mad Magazine many years ago:

YOU CAN be SUrE IF IT'S WESTINGHOUSE.

		Topher

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (06/12/85)

>   Somewhere on a highway between here and San Antonio is a "HELL" service
> station.
>  - joel "vo" plutchak

In his memoirs ("Diplomat") Ambassador Thayer recalls that shortly after
VE day in Finnland he was informed that he was about to be visited by a
delegation from Hel.  Thayer said it was nice of them to come all the
way up.  "Oh, no," he was told.  "Hel is uphill from here."
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (06/13/85)

[% <-- dead cockatrice]

> In article <1429@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP writes:
> >Which brings up an interesting puzzle:  What other famous signs can be
> >amusingly corrupted by selective darkening of individual letters?
> >--
>
>   Somewhere on a highway between here and San Antonio is a "HELL" service
> station.   (Should have been SHELL.)  Needless to say, I didn't stop.

About twenty years ago _Mad_ did this sort of thing to about a dozen
famous slogans.  Sorry, I don't know the exact issue, but the feature
may have been anthologized.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (06/16/85)

Once Martin Gardner in his Scientific American column published a complicated
diagram which he said contained a hidden Christmas message.  It was something
like a complete graph on 5 nodes, with each arc labelled by a letter.  They
didn't seem to go in order, nor display any clear pattern.  The solution
was that the 25 labels included every letter but L  -- hence, Noel.

       --Mitch Marks @ UChicago
       ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx
wq