[net.nlang] -en as a diminutive

aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) (06/17/85)

In article <6460@boring.UUCP> steven@boring.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) writes:
   (I said about chicken that the -en was a diminutive suffix and pointed
   out a parallel in Dutch veulen (foal), and continued: )
>> It may be that an English example is found in sow/swine.
>Probably not, for as Lambert Meertens pointed out to me, then you're stuck
>with explaining the relationship of sow/swine with Dutch zeug/zwijn.
>The OED suggests a suffix -ino- here.

But this means that the OED agrees with me.
You see, the root is clearly *su- (*suw-) as in Latin sus, Greek hus,
	German Sau, Danish so.
	(Hyaina is from this same root.)
With a -k- suffix we have Latin sucula 'piglet', Sanskrit sukara 'boar',
	Dutch zeug, English sow (Old English sugu).
	(The verb to soil is from this same root.)
With the adjectival -ino- suffix we have Latin suinus 'of the pig',
	Lett. svins 'filthy'.
In the germanic languages this suffix becomes -en/-in and is used to
create nouns: Dutch zwijn, English swine, Danish svin, German Schwein.