[net.nlang] Etymology mistaken for "real" meaning

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (06/21/85)

In article <696@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) writes:
>> From: mm@vaxine.UUCP (Mark Mudgett)
>> Actually, "I could care less" is derived from the saying, "I know little and
>> could care less."  This refers to a subject about which I am uninformed,
>> and about which I care even less than I know.  The saying has been confused
>> with "I couldn't care less," which means that I couldn't care less than I
>> do about the subject; implying that I care not at all.
>
>That seems like a very plausible story for ONE of the times it entered
>the language (the written language in particular).  But I hope MM isn't
>falling into the trap that 'where it comes from' = 'what it REALLY is' or
>'how it actually functions'.  That doesn't work, even with completely
>established, well-attested etymologies.  Speakers re-analyse all the time,
>and it wouldn't be astonishing for 98% of all speakers to understand some
>locution in a way that entirely defies the etymology.

Thank you for making very clear a common confusion between the etymology
of a word or expression and its current meaning. I recall an exquisite
example of this confusion during a discussion a few years ago on whether
the US should grant amnesty to draft resisters during the Vietnam War.
One person protested, "'Amnesty' comes from the Greek word meaning
'forget.' [It does it fact.] I don't think we should FORGET that these
bums broke the law and evaded the draft, so we shouldn't give
them amnesty."
--

Rob Bernardo, San Ramon, California
ihnp4!ptsfa!rob